What are the most underrated and most overrated things in mountain biking?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I wouldn't mind a crispy scallop right now! Potato fritters are grated potato + egg + stuff, wtf are these kiwi and crow boners talking about? When I hear potato cake I think of tattie scones.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Under-rated: front derailleurs, preferably paired to a triple-ring crank. It is entirely possible to have big total range and more than three gears in your particularly essential mid-range.

Over-rated: SRAM, but somehow they haven't yet managed to completely fuck up Rock Shox.

Overused: "Enduro". It's a race format, applicable to at least two branches of MTBing. It's not a bike type, helmet design, shoe style or any of that other shit that gets the "enduro" tag thrown at it.

Ironic: "long" 3x rear derailleurs being slammed as trail-sweepers, and cast aside for "shorter" derivatives, but with 1x and its pizza tray cassettes we have the biggest derailleurs ever seen. I can't run 12-sp. on my bike because the derailleur length is more than my wheel radius!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Over: Franchised fast food

Under: Local Pizza Shop Pizza

Our local pizza shop does fish & chips too, including Tater Cakes

BTW stoked at all the hardtail love in this thread :)

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Whitebait fritters , some mussel fritters , and kumara chips ,

Man , don’t get me started .

You can have ya bland old boring potato cakes
next you will be trying to push Paua burgers onto us..go home freak!
the only good food product to come out of unzud is the humble perky nana!

Freediver

I can go full Karen
How do people even eat white bait? It is fucking bait!!! You don't ever hear of people eating pilchard cakes. That shit is for cats.
When it's people food we call them sardines. When it's bait we call them pilchards. Then you have whitebait which is something else and isn't even any good as bait and is even less appealing as food. Any fish that is to small to gut is to small to eat.