What are you reading? Books, articles or publications of any kind!

crash3

Likes Dirt
Currently reading 'A Very Short Introduction to Political Philosophy'. Fantastic book, though I never get very far as I only have time to read just before I sleep.

Due back to the library by the 28th (I think) this month so have to finish it by then, have already used my two renewals.
I forgot how good the library is - free books, reservations are $1 and putting a time limit on my time with the book means I'll actually get around to it. Support your local library people!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Currently reading 'A Very Short Introduction to Political Philosophy'. Fantastic book, though I never get very far as I only have time to read just before I sleep.

Due back to the library by the 28th (I think) this month so have to finish it by then, have already used my two renewals.
I forgot how good the library is - free books, reservations are $1 and putting a time limit on my time with the book means I'll actually get around to it. Support your local library people!
havent used a library for ages, but thought about it. They're a great service. Some are better than others. I remember when you used to be able to borrow VHS movies and CDs from libraries too.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
The Selfish Gene by Dawkins, great book but I'm making pathetically slow progress.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Se
The Selfish Gene by Dawkins, great book but I'm making pathetically slow progress.
Set goals, like a chapter before you fall asleep. Before you know it, you'll feel motivated to break them and be reading more. You get the same litle dopamine hit when you reach the reading targets you set.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Reading, as an extreme sport. YIEEEW
Time to double down and do high-performance reading while you Zwift. Maybe throw in some upper body pilates while you're at it to really maximise your use of time.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
you joke, but goal setting, and achieving those goals, regardless what they are, is proven to release dopamine hits. Do it, don't do it. whatever.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Finished reading this 2 months ago. Great novel, 'twas hard going for the first 1/4 (took me 6+ months), but the last 3/4 of it I read in about 2 weeks.

Now I'm onto working my way back through the Drenai novels in chronological order for something different.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I don't normally read books by or about politicians, but this was recommended and Tim Watts previous work has been very good and relatively apolitical. The introduction said all the right things regards futures foresighting, which is super-encouraging. Only a few pages into the first chapter, thought I'd get a morning of reading, but a three year old confirmed just how naive that plan was.

1661570129376.png

crash3

Likes Dirt
‘Sapien: A brief history of human kind’ was the last book i raved about and made friends read. It’s an amazing, objective and dispassionate look at where we sit on the food chain, how we evolved (through tools, language, shared stories etc) and what drives human behaviour.
Started this last weekend (on the recommendation from my brother in law after I said I chose engineering as a degree over law or finance because those things are just made up) while on a weekend trip to the sunshine state.
Very very interesting, and making me think in a different way about human & also specifically Sapien history. Currently on my work desk for lunchtime reading.

Also started Stolen focus : why you can't pay attention by Johann Hari (which I thought I saw as a recommendation on this thread but can't find the post in question to give credit. I can definitely see the value of the message, and it stopped me from just going straight to the phone while on planes, in airports etc on the weekend trip. But good lord Johann came across as an old man yelling at kids because the world is changing in the first dozen or so paragraphs.

scblack

Leucocholic
The Martian, by Andy Weir. And recently finished another of his books: Project Hail Mary, which is one of the best SF books I have ever read.
thumbnail_IMG_1713.jpg

scblack

Leucocholic
I don't normally read books by or about politicians, but this was recommended and Tim Watts previous work has been very good and relatively apolitical. The introduction said all the right things regards futures foresighting, which is super-encouraging. Only a few pages into the first chapter, thought I'd get a morning of reading, but a three year old confirmed just how naive that plan was.

View attachment 392391
Its got a foreword by Laura Tingle. With her on board, there is ZERO chance of it being apolitical, sorry. And it going to be falling off the left side of your desk.....

Hools

Likes Dirt
Finished reading this 2 months ago. Great novel, 'twas hard going for the first 1/4 (took me 6+ months), but the last 3/4 of it I read in about 2 weeks.

Now I'm onto working my way back through the Drenai novels in chronological order for something different.
Reading his latest at the moment.