What Bike Do You Regret Selling?

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
My old 1996 Spooky Cycles Metalhead which I had to sell to pay rent/bills after losing a job..

And I still mourn the loss of my custom build 2001 Norco 250cc (profile cranks, doublewide rims, sherman forks, protaper bars, Hugi Hubs, Hayes Purples etc..) ... which was stolen in 2004 never to be seen again :(

My 2002 Bighit DH with Shivers, 2004 Specialized Demo9 Pro & Rocky Mountain RM7 Wade Simmons that I sold when I gave up DH

Then the 2 custom 24 Bicycles Toy4's that I sold

Oh and the Dobermann Pinscher & Brooklyn Machine Works Park Bike that I sold

Ah the memories.....
You live. Those 24 went alright fox. Rm7 would of been swell too.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Were they the ones that had to have the engine rebuilt every 10,000kms?
Na, I'm not aware of any 10k lifecycle Dukes. I've owned 8 and all were reliable. I got the 900SS secondhand with less than 10,000kms on it, and added about 30,000kms to it. It was pretty tired by then, with tons of hills sports riding and endless track days, but was still running strong and never missed a beat.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Were they the ones that had to have the engine rebuilt every 10,000kms?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
You're thinking of the Desmodromic valvetrain they used on some models. Without proper maintainence they rattled like bag of bolts.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
You're thinking of the Desmodromic valvetrain they used on some models. Without proper maintainence they rattled like bag of bolts.
Yep that's what I was thinking of. Somone told me that the early ones needed a rebuild every 10,000ks or so.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Beats the recent kwaka h2r with service inspections every 15hrs above 8000rpm in addition to regular servicing, monitored via the ecu.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Yep that's what I was thinking of. Someone told me that the early ones needed a rebuild every 10,000ks or so.
The very first production early 70’s L twin bevel round case Ducati’s, the 750 Sport and the 750 GT (I’ve owned both) had a crankshaft with a straight crankpin and roller bearing big ends. They all spat it eventually. May have been around 10K, dunno? So, regardless, everyone converted to a stepped crankpin, with needle roller big ends, like the later model square case bevel 860 and 900’s had. Mine were both done and once that was sorted, it was all good.

As for the Ducati desmodromic valve-train, it was never really a reliability liability. In fact it’s an amazing system, with any half decent home punter being more than capable of maintaining the two valve single cammers. Four valve three cammers are much trickyer, and pretty much why I never bought a 916 or a 996. The desmo system is very efficient and the amount of energy lost in the valvetrain is negligible, which helps explain why the MotoGP Ducs always seem to have the most poke.

The 900SS, I’m glassy eyed over, is much later than the old round case bevel drives, and its engine is based off the two valve belt drive single cam Pantah and has plain bearing big ends and is totally bullet proof. My ’89 (like my ’88 750 Sport) had a Weber downdraught carburettor, and it had the legendary flat spot just off idle, but a local tuning guru, fixed both of my bikes, with modified air correctors.

Anyway, an awesome bike, and I still wish I had it.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I too lusted after Old Mate's Duke, but even at 17 I was wise enough to know my impulses on human propelled two wheels were enough to classify me as a Temporary Citizen if I added a motor.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Bought NOS in the 90's. Ridden up and down the street a couple of times, displayed and stored over the years. '73 Speedwell Mustang 100% OG. Sold in 2013 to buy 80's skateboards. Goodbye pic. No regrets actually, was hard to store and no room to display, but would have been nice to be able to keep.

2013-04-24 16.32.55.jpg

Some of these are boards I bought with the proceeds.

skateys.jpg

This went in about 2009, then I got it back and made it an ebike in 2015.

1996:

goose-old.jpg

1998 to 2015:
goose-new.jpg

Now:
goose-e.jpg

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Bought NOS in the 90's. Ridden up and down the street a couple of times, displayed and stored over the years. '73 Speedwell Mustang 100% OG. Sold in 2013 to buy 80's skateboards. Goodbye pic. No regrets actually, was hard to store and no room to display, but would have been nice to be able to keep.

View attachment 350004

Some of these are boards I bought with the proceeds.

View attachment 350005

This went in about 2009, then I got it back and made it an ebike in 2015.

1996:

View attachment 350006

1998 to 2015:
View attachment 350008

Now:
View attachment 350009
is that the white Panaracer Dart/Smoke combo I see
Ahh, white skids!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Non-marking soles only.
Didn't ride on them much as they were super soft. Mostly had On the Rocks 2's all it's life. Funny thing is in 2008 or so when I sold it the buyer hadn't ridden much. He rode it on and off before it came back but hardly wore the tyres, no white skids.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Had one of the new DMR Trailstar's I built up while I was working as a bike mechanic. Everything about it was top notch, but had a ridiculously long fork on it (a Manitou Mattoc I got cheap) and obviously, it rode terribly. Needing $$ I decided to split and sell it. Lost money on it and sold a bike I put a lot of work into.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Amateurs - you should hoard your old bike frames and bits like I do. Then you can go out to your bike graveyard whenever you like to muse on your personal riding history :p

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Amateurs - you should hoard your old bike frames and bits like I do. Then you can go out to your bike graveyard whenever you like to muse on your personal riding history :p
Where do custom ti frames with borked pf30 fit into this picture?

goose_007

Likes Dirt
I gave my Crafty rail to my nephew years ago, in an effort to get him off his couch playing video games and outside to get some gamma rays.
will have to try and revisit that idea of getting it back next time I feel the need to visit Canberra
What colour was the rail?
Black as the night is dark.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Mine was that sparkly green one, looked like it was painted with the same green paint stolen from the Holden factory.
It may have been used on their Commonbore vehicles ....Craftworks is an Adelaide based company after all