What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Raced the Enduro today at South Hobart/Mt Wellington. I had a hoot but nearly died on the climb up... 32 front with an 11-42 cassette on a 29er is ass in Tassie.

On a sour note, the Reverb decided it would be a fixed seat post. It is sagging so it wasn't even all the way up. A bit low to climb properly and in the way for descending. I had an OTB because of the bloody post. The post was fine on Thursday when I rode the bike to and from work to see if there were any issues.... My last two rides have been ruined by this blasted post.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
South Hobart/Mt Wellington. I had a hoot but nearly died on the climb
I only spent a couple of hours in there, with a shuttle to the top but fully agree it’s not a climb friendly area. I’m sure there are some decent routes but as a newby there the short ups I found were steep !

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Did a charity ride out of Binnaway, NSW...75 km on the Twinzer. Most of it would have been just fine on the dirt roadie but there was something about doing on the hardtail that was most satisfying.

By Huey though...that northerly. We had to pedal to maintain 20 km/h on some really decent downhills!

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Yesterday:

Got the Sight back from getting suspension fully serviced.

Installed new chain. It's a bit noisy going around one of the (SRAM) jockey wheels. Chain is a KMC EL-11. Is this a known issue?

Installed new PNW Bachelor dropper post with Loam lever. They managed to ship the post and separately purchased lever without including cable housing. Luckily the housing from my old 2x lever was just the right length. Bit of a puzzling oversight though, for an otherwise very well-packaged (and not cheap!) product. Do they just assume that everyone is going to have an old 2x lever lying around? I mean, it's a fair assumption, but still...

Also threw on a new blue Nukeproof seatpost clamp to almost but not quite match the blue Hope brakes. But they're close enough in colour and far enough apart on the bike that it's not noticeable. I didn't get a Hope one because it costs three times as much, and according to reviews the bolt breaks really easily.

Installed new orange Ergon GD1 grips. The orange is a darker shade than the frame OMG my bike is ruined! slams bedroom door and cries uncontrollably

Today is bright and sunny, so I'm off to the Youies later to test it all out.

Last edited:

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Oh yeah I should probably top up on sealant because the bike hasn't been ridden properly in checks holy shit four months!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Installed new orange Ergon GD1 grips. The orange is a darker shade than the frame OMG my bike is ruined! slams bedroom door and cries uncontrollably

Today is bright and sunny, so I'm off to the Youies later to test it all out.
The is the struggle!

Also pearler of a day up in CBR, too nice to even get annoyed at an ebiker overtaking me on the climb!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Went and rode it.

It was actually the first solo ride since I broke my collarbone and - if I'm honest "The Fear" had been niggling away in the back of my mind about it (no idea why, just because "The Fear"). All went smoothly and it quickly just felt like a normal ride, so nice to have the monkey off the back and feel like I can ride solo again. Wasn't a massive ride but nice to get out and turn the legs over regardless.

Said hello to most of the people I encountered and the only one to offer more than a grunt in response was an older bloke on an eBike. So score one for the eBike crowd, and kudos to him for being friendly and enjoying his day out. Unfortunately the eBike crowd was automatically deducted half that hard-earned point by some twat riding the other way with some shit music playing at about 85dB. He might've been loving it but I doubt anyone else was!

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I only spent a couple of hours in there, with a shuttle to the top but fully agree it’s not a climb friendly area. I’m sure there are some decent routes but as a newby there the short ups I found were steep !
It reminded me of riding in Switzerland. I was fitter and 13 years younger though... A couple of guys in the group I was riding in were astounding with my gearing until I explained that I'd moved back from WA and I'd only had the bike on the dirt once before. There was a fit guy in the group that races XC and even he said my gearing would be murder in a lot of places. One guy was a mechanic at a shop and he straight out said either Eagle it or 30 tooth front and 11-46 Sunrace cassette it. He suggested the Sunrace at a minimum. One of the climbs was insane, only two out of 40 odd managed it :/

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Second proper ride with flats and first with some proper Shimno flat pedal shoes. Shin so far still intact...

Dropped my saddle at east 2cm from riding with clips. Interesting.