What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Here a comparison with the 2.4 Onza Ibex and 2.4 Maxxis HR2. @Boom King

The Maxxis is on a 25mm internal rim and the Onza 29mm internal.

It's a little hard to tell from the photos but the Ibex has around a 5mm wider edge point.

Pretty similar tread pattern as well, which is what I've found performance wise too...

HR2 above, Ibex below...

HR2 left, Ibex right.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Picked up this good conditioned STP today for $150.

Bike is incomplete but looks like everything is there other than a chain, includes forks about 7 wheels, god knows if any of them are any good as some are missing axles, couple of sets of cranks missing bolts, pedals and god knows what else. Just gave the dude my money and threw everything in the back of the car.

Figured it'd make a fun project and i can either rebuild and flip it or chase the kid round the skate park or let one of the kids ride it.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Picked up this good conditioned STP today for $150.

Bike is incomplete but looks like everything is there other than a chain, includes forks about 7 wheels, god knows if any of them are any good as some are missing axles, couple of sets of cranks missing bolts, pedals and god knows what else. Just gave the dude my money and threw everything in the back of the car.

Figured it'd make a fun project and i can either rebuild and flip it or chase the kid round the skate park or let one of the kids ride it.

View attachment 357197
Any 20mm axle wheels? Even QR rear you don't want. I did some jumping on one of my hardtails and now see a few busted rims in my future :D

nathanm

Eats Squid
Any 20mm axle wheels? Even QR rear you don't want. I did some jumping on one of my hardtails and now see a few busted rims in my future :D
No idea yet mate, pretty sure forks were QR but may still be a 20mm wheel kicking about in there though I'm not confident that they're all serviceable. will let you know if there is though.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Didn’t ride it. Got home from work yesterday with a suddenly badly shifting front mech (roadie). What was going to be a quick adjustment turning into a full blown inner and outer gear cable replacement including unwrapping the bars and replacing internal cable routing guides and etc etc... Got bored after an hour, so will have to finish that off tonight...

Sooooo much easier on mountain bikes!!

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Picked up this good conditioned STP today for $150
Thank you for picking this up - will save me the temptation of adding even more bike crap to the shed that I don't need. This had been tempting me for a while.

Installed 12sp XTR shifter with 11 speed cassette anyway, works okay but won't change into the top 46t properly, and is hesitant to change to smallest cogs. Think the spacing is ever so slightly different. Have 11sp XT shifter enroute anyway, So 12sp up for sale soon.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Thank you for picking this up - will save me the temptation of adding even more bike crap to the shed that I don't need. This had been tempting me for a while.
pleasure, now I have more crap in the shed I don't need, but gives me something to tinker with when i'm bored.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
won't change into the top 46t properly, and is hesitant to change to smallest cogs. Think the spacing is ever so slightly different
At the extreme ends of the cassette, it sounds more like a limit screw setup issue than a shift gap issue, if it's working fine for the other gears.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At the extreme ends of the cassette, it sounds more like a limit screw setup issue than a shift gap issue, if it's working fine for the other gears.
That's what I initially thought, no amount of playing with limit & B-gap will make it happy though. Could still be that i'm just doing something wrong , will fit up 11sp shifter tonight and have a play.

Edit: New shifter installed, seems to behave much better. Shifts all the way up & down cassette with (almost) no trouble. Won't shift up from bottom cog without encouragement, but on inspection I think that's just combination of slightly-off machining, cassette (Garbaruk 10-46) and chain (XTR 11sp). Had seen that people have reported better shifting with an Eagle GX/XX1 chain so might give those a go later on.

Last edited:

wkkie

Finished the rebuild of the dually and gave it a ride today.

Cleaned and lubed the hub. It had done around 1000 KMs and the quiet version was getting a little less quiet. Pulled a few metal shavings out that had stuck to the pawls, just left over from manufacturing I'd say and no harm done.

It was a pain to get the freehub back on with the pawls down and balance that with not spilling any lube out. Got it eventually, but one of the seals keep playing funny buggers which was causing the pawls to fall out...

So quiet now and the engagement on these things is awesome! You really notice the difference from an OEM SRAM hub that a mate is running.

Just have to sort the fork pressure and replace the guard and it's set for Ignition! Such a great weekend!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
It was a pain to get the freehub back on with the pawls down and balance that with not spilling any lube out. Got it eventually, but one of the seals keep playing funny buggers which was causing the pawls to fall out...
Was it the thin o-ring under the lip seal where the freehub flange meets the main body? I had a heap of drama getting that one to sit in place...

I feel an odd synchronicity going on here though. I cleaned some metal out of my P321 hub a while back, got a Nextie rim built to it, and will whack a fresh tyre on ready for Ignition. 'Tis the season I guess!

wkkie

Was it the thin o-ring under the lip seal where the freehub flange meets the main body? I had a heap of drama getting that one to sit in place...

I feel an odd synchronicity going on here though. I cleaned some metal out of my P321 hub a while back, got a Nextie rim built to it, and will whack a fresh tyre on ready for Ignition. 'Tis the season I guess!
Yep, exactly the one! Need 4 hands and reverse gravity on one side to get that job done easily!

If you're putting on an Onza Ibex, then things will get really weird! :)

Will have to catch up for a run or 2 at Ignition!