What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
If you don't mind ending up with external bearing cups, it can now be done. Possibly even avoids the requirement for the knock-block with some careful checking of fork / fork dial clearances.
@beeb do you have a link ? I emailed CC and was told IS41/28.6 - IS52/40 could not be done because of the carbon cups. Theres no Knock-Block on my bike.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Awesome ! Better head down and see if I have the required 20mm space.

EDIT: Got 1 x 10mm spacer, there's a 8mm thick CC top cap, I may be able to get one with less stack. Stem clamp is a standard 40mm height.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Got loose on the goose this arvo, I hate mud with a passion but after blowing the tyre off last week and being rained out over the weekend I had to get out. It's quicker than I thought it would be, 10-20% slower than the Bronson on the downs, which was quite a surprise, in ideal conditions I reckon I could get below 10% on most of Stromlo. Ups, I had a good go on Blue Tongue and got a 2nd fastest, wouldn't be hard to beat it in better conditions as it was slow and muddy as per @droenn's experience yesterday.

The V1 Z1 is basically the all time fork it always was. I was expecting bounce and flex, and it just smashed everything I gave it. I forgot chain suck existed, and mud brings it on, my brand new chain and cluster were crying in pain. V-brakes in the wet, and so used to one finger braking made for some sketchy moments before realising I wasn't on a 203mm rotor with XT's.

I had a decent crack on Double D, and Breakout, and pretty much pinned it as fast as I was game in the conditions on Old Duffy, only 7 seconds off my PR which is right around 10% slower. I could make up 3-4 seconds without trying in the right conditions, I have to say the pizza cutters with the tall studs gave pretty awesome grip levels in the wet. I couldn't get the smile off my face after Old Duffy.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
What do I do with this monstrosity?

I've just been told all work has dried up because we can't do plumbing at people's homes unless it's an emergency, so I imagine I might start getting bored.

It's apparently an ironhorse of some description, can't see anything to verify that though. Aluminium rear triangle and steel front means it's boutique as fark right? I get about 5mm of movement out of the shock and maybe 20mm out of the fork - pluuuush

I was thinking I could modernise it a bit with stuff I have lying around, a lot of this seems pretty stuffed. Or put this and the Olde Avanti I have here together to make one retro bike, leaving the other to be turned into a reverse steering bike.

Anyone know anything about this old beast? Worth stuffing around with? Anyone have an emotional connection to this model and would prefer to do it some justice rather than have me bastardise it?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

bear the bear

Is a real bear

I've just been told all work has dried up because we can't do plumbing at people's homes unless it's an emergency, so I imagine I might start getting bored.

It's apparently an ironhorse of some description, can't see anything to verify that though. Aluminium rear triangle and steel front means it's boutique as fark right? I get about 5mm of movement out of the shock and maybe 20mm out of the fork - pluuuush

I was thinking I could modernise it a bit with stuff I have lying around, a lot of this seems pretty stuffed. Or put this and the Olde Avanti I have here together to make one retro bike, leaving the other to be turned into a reverse steering bike.

Anyone know anything about this old beast? Worth stuffing around with? Anyone have an emotional connection to this model and would prefer to do it some justice rather than have me bastardise it?

Worth at least $1k on Facebook currently :D

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Pump up the tyres and make a shreddit.

Time to be famous on the internet, and get ready to retire on that YouTube subscriber money!

ashes_mtb

Has preferences

Agree it's an Iron Horse, I don't recall model details but remember the look of that rocker. Steel full bangers are all the rage now, I vote retromod build.

Is there room to fit a replacement shock in there?

I have an old Cane Creek air shock and a couple of disc brake adapters if you're interested in going down that path.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

1 1/8 steerer fork? If so you are sitting on a gold mine!!!

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
1 1/8 steerer fork? If so you are sitting on a gold mine!!!
I think you meant "landmine"

It is 1 1/8. Is that significant for an old rustbucket like this? If it's actually worth something to someone I'll leave it alone and pass it along, if not I reckon I'll probably just butcher it for shits and giggles.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Agree it's an Iron Horse, I don't recall model details but remember the look of that rocker. Steel full bangers are all the rage now, I vote retromod build.

Is there room to fit a replacement shock in there?

I have an old Cane Creek air shock and a couple of disc brake adapters if you're interested in going down that path.
Thanks, I might have a peek under those fire hose reel stickers and see what I can find.

I dunno about moving to discs, I kinda like the old canti brakes, just like I had in high school. I've got a few shocks here I can try, never know I guess. A stem that's shorter than the bars are wide would also be good I think . I've got some revelation U turns here that would be cool, but disc only, I might hunt around a bit for a set of air forks with old brake mounts

ausdb

Being who he is
Thanks, I might have a peek under those fire hose reel stickers and see what I can find.

I dunno about moving to discs, I kinda like the old canti brakes, just like I had in high school. I've got a few shocks here I can try, never know I guess. A stem that's shorter than the bars are wide would also be good I think . I've got some revelation U turns here that would be cool, but disc only, I might hunt around a bit for a set of air forks with old brake mounts

The shock is a copy of a noleen, my iron horse yurt bike (pics on the vintage thread) used the same one in a different config. Are the forks Indys or Quadras?

ashes_mtb

Has preferences

Could also be a KHS - I have a feeling they had a model that was pretty much the same as the Iron Horse. Really stretching the memory tho.

Edit - found this searching 1997 KHS http://www.bikepro.net/directions/khs/fxtteam.html