What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sadly I'm not made of money like you so I can't upgrade at a whim.
Was a joke mate as I remember you were buying Maxxis Rekons/Recons ;)

Jagged a lucky one with the Fox 34 Rhythm... eBay snipe, could probably sell the Rockshox Recon for the same price.

The trick is to be not looking for an upgrade but grab an opportunity when it presents itself.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Was a joke mate as I remember you were buying Maxxis Rekons/Recons
I know, just wish I could upgrade everything at once!

I'll keep an eye out for an eBay special, only downside for me is that I can't view anything beforehand being so far away (assuming you live in Sydney or Melbourne)

ozzybmx

I'll keep an eye out for an eBay special, only downside for me is that I can't view anything beforehand being so far away (assuming you live in Sydney or Melbourne)
I'm in the arse end of nowhere, the back-sticks, woop woop... a little country town called rAdelaide.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually a Recon! It suits me fine at the moment but I can a point where a sturdier and more supple fork will be needed. Either a Marzocchi Z2, Fox 34 Rhythm, Rockshox Revelation or a Yari.
Hambo - do a rebuild
I did mine and the rear shock on the weekend - it makes a good deal of difference to the lowly Recon .

Biggest challenge at the moment is not what do i want to upgrade too ?
But , what is actually available .
And there isn't much of anything

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hambo - do a rebuild
I did mine and the rear shock on the weekend - it makes a good deal of difference to the lowly Recon .
That's great to know!

I assume this needs the fork's full service kit? Also did you use Rockshox oil or much cheaper motor oil that matched the specs?

ozzybmx

I have done a bit of a concoction in the past, if it called for 10WT, I have mixed 50:50 fox 15WT with generic 5WT.

From what I remember, Recons need 5WT oil. I didn't have any so I used PTFE infused 5WT fully synthetic engine oil.

To be honest, I dont believe its that much of big deal. They would like you to use the proper stuff but apart from warranty, its probably a load of wank.

Been running Chris king hubs for over 10,000km on finish line wet lube :p

Just make sure you put the right WT oil in the damper.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Biggest challenge at the moment is not what do i want to upgrade too ?
But , what is actually available .
And there isn't much of anything
I'm finding it liberating. No point researching pointless upgrades with no real performance advantage only to find they are not available.

Instead, I'm spending more time riding, getting fitter and building skills.

Although when something breaks my zip tie and gaffer tape solutions will probably get old quickly.

ozzybmx

Disclaimer: I have done the right thing with forks/shocks in the past, serviced by reputable places and minor services by me using correct parts.

If its a cheap to mid range fork thats not worth a $200 service, bodge that shit with the above.