What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Absolutely never take fitness/training advice from me.
If I don’t enjoy it…
I don’t do it..
I’m lazy but hedonistic.
I was just curious, I'm doing kettlebell training twice a week and riding twice a week and there's no way I'd have been able to climb 400m+ this week if I wasn't. So I'll be sticking with that!

moorey

call me Mia
I was just curious, I'm doing kettlebell training twice a week and riding twice a week and there's no way I'd have been able to climb 400m+ this week if I wasn't. So I'll be sticking with that!
I’m going to go against my own advice and say you really need to get more km’s in as a priority, and do other strength work around that. I think I saw you’d ridden like 260km this year? That’s single figures per week on average, and I’ll assume you have gone weeks at a time without riding?
I had what I’d call a poor year last year with 2200km (1000+ of that was in the last 8 weeks), and it was no where near enough to maintain decent riding fitness at my age.
Do the strength training.
Ride more.
Ignore moorey.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’m going to go against my own advice and say you really need to get more km’s in as a priority, and do other strength work around that. I think I saw you’d ridden like 260km this year? That’s single figures per week on average, and I’ll assume you have gone weeks at a time without riding?
I had what I’d call a poor year last year with 2200km (1000+ of that was in the last 8 weeks), and it was no where near enough to maintain decent riding fitness at my age.
Ride more.
Ignore moorey.
I would just add place a focus on good eating in general but make sure you’re well fuelled pre and during ride as well. If I neglect that I pay dearly.
TLDR? Bananas.

moorey

call me Mia
I would just add place a focus on good eating in general but make sure you’re well fuelled pre and during ride as well. If I neglect that I pay dearly.
TLDR? Bananas.
Yes, sorry. Implied the hydration after earlier discussions.
I struggle to eat on a long ride. Maybe a clif bar forced down. I wish it came more naturally.

HamboCairns

Ride more.
Ignore moorey.
That's good advice (apart from the ignore Moorey bit) - most of my trails are technical and not really the kind of thing you can pootle about for 5 km at a gentle gradient. I guess I can hit Davies Creek which is more like that, I think a loop is about 30km - @Fred Nurk?

Mattyp

Cows go boing
TLDR? Bananas.
Or just ride with someone who will donate their food to you when you start crying about how hungry / low on energy you are..
I'm starting to see a pattern...

HamboCairns

I usually fast in the mornings because I can't eat for an hour after I take my medication. I usually start riding at 7:15am

moorey

call me Mia
That's good advice (apart from the ignore Moorey bit) - most of my trails are technical and not really the kind of thing you can pootle about for 5 km at a gentle gradient. I guess I can hit Davies Creek which is more like that, I think a loop is about 30km - @Fred Nurk?
My daily loop isn’t a gnarly ride, it’s a fitness keeper upper. Only about 500m of climbing over the 20ish km, and almost all the climbing is gravel and bitumen. Downhills are flowing single trail. It’s purely to keep the legs moving.
I have other options at my back door, but it’s just been too wet, and I prefer not to ride them alone, particularly at night. You wouldn’t be found for weeks if you had a nasty.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
That's good advice (apart from the ignore Moorey bit) - most of my trails are technical and not really the kind of thing you can pootle about for 5 km at a gentle gradient.
IMO - you get conditioned to the trails you ride. If you ride 50km of flat bikepath each day it isn't going to do sweet-FA to help you when you hit climbs on a fortnightly MTB ride. If you want better endurance riding hills, ride hills more often. Hurts at first, get easier the more you do it.*

*Well, this is kind of a lie. They never get "easier", but you do ascend faster, with less stops, and recover quicker at the top. This leads to you not feeling so mentally and physically gassed on the descents, which means you can ride faster, (somewhat) more safely...

HamboCairns

IMO - you get conditioned to the trails you ride. If you ride 50km of flat bikepath each day it isn't going to do sweet-FA to help you when you hit climbs on a fortnightly MTB ride. If you want better endurance riding hills, ride hills more often. Hurts at first, get easier the more you do it.*

*Well, this is kind of a lie. They never get "easier", but you do ascend faster, with less stops, and recover quicker at the top. This leads to you not feeling so mentally and physically gassed on the descents, which means you can ride faster, (somewhat) more safely...
Well I can honestly say I wouldn't have been able to get up Pipeline a month ago! I have been hitting hills more often too but I am goosed at the top and need some recovery time. Hauling 105kg on a bike doesn't help of course :D