What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
So I didn't think this through. I want to get my rear triangle off, but...brake cable routing. Any way of getting it off without needing to do a brake bleed after? I've not done one before and would prefer to avoid as I can't just go pick up the materials I need to do it.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
So I didn't think this through. I want to get my rear triangle off, but...brake cable routing. Any way of getting it off without needing to do a brake bleed after? I've not done one before and would prefer to avoid as I can't just go pick up the materials I need to do it.
No not If runs through the rear triangle tubes.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Cool thanks. If I do decide to take the cable out. How much hairpulling can I expect re-cableing and learning to bleed brakes?
Forward plan.

Disconnect the brake line from the caliper, but before you pull the hose out attach a piece of string long enough to hang out both ends of the frame. Pull hose out, but leave the string in the frame. Detach everything, do the dirty work, then use the string to pull the line back through. Do the same for the gear cable.

Shimano brakes are piss easy to bleed. SRAM? Don't know, don't care.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Cool thanks. If I do decide to take the cable out. How much hairpulling can I expect re-cableing and learning to bleed brakes?
Can you feed enough brake cable from the bars through the front triangle to give you some working room between the front and rear triangle? If you just need to get it off and inspect it 20cm of hose might be enough to get it off and move it around. If you can manage this it will mean no bleeding or internal routing.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Forward plan.

Disconnect the brake line from the caliper, but before you pull the hose out attach a piece of string long enough to hang out both ends of the frame. Pull hose out, but leave the string in the frame. Detach everything, do the dirty work, then use the string to pull the line back through. Do the same for the gear cable.

Shimano brakes are piss easy to bleed. SRAM? Don't know, don't care.
Good thinking. I've got sram. Had a look bleed seems simple enough. Do t have the gear to do it though. So will probably leave it all connected for the time being

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Can you feed enough brake cable from the bars through the front triangle to give you some working room between the front and rear triangle? If you just need to get it off and inspect it 20cm of hose might be enough to get it off and move it around. If you can manage this it will mean no bleeding or internal routing.
Yep this will be heaps. Thanks. Might be more annoying but don't have to order and wait for shit. Should be able to get it all done this way.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Also wtf are legit bearing kits so expensive?! Fucking bearing are cheap as piss. Anyone just used a digital calliper and measured what they've taken out and bought third party replacement bearings? Asking for a future change. Couple of the bearing I've got feel a bit crunchy but recon they'll come good with a clean

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Also wtf are legit bearing kits so expensive?! Fucking bearing are cheap as piss. Anyone just used a digital calliper and measured what they've taken out and bought third party replacement bearings? Asking for a future change. Couple of the bearing I've got feel a bit crunchy but recon they'll come good with a clean
Cheap bearings are shit. Perfect for a Yeti.