What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Woke up early with the intention of getting a ride in before work. 'Twas pissing down so went back to bed :)
Will try for an after work ride when the local paths will be packed...

crash3

Likes Dirt
Did you sort that grinding noise?
Yeah
Riding faster, only using higher gears haha.

No I haven't yet, but my plan is to get my 3d printer running again and print some spacers for the chainring to reduce the angle the chain hits the chainring at. I take it adding a chain guite like the image below would fix the grinding, but potentially shorten chain life as I'd be pushing the chain pivot point closer to the cassette, increasing the angle? I'm guessing it wouldn't shorten the chain life significantly though.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Yeah
Riding faster, only using higher gears haha.

No I haven't yet, but my plan is to get my 3d printer running again and print some spacers for the chainring to reduce the angle the chain hits the chainring at. I take it adding a chain guite like the image below would fix the grinding, but potentially shorten chain life as I'd be pushing the chain pivot point closer to the cassette, increasing the angle? I'm guessing it wouldn't shorten the chain life significantly though.
Chain guide won't make a difference, it doesn't touch the tensioned side of the chain at all (i.e. at the top of the chain ring where you're having issues). Answer will be removing the BB spacer as others mentioned, to shift the chain ring inboard 2.5mm.

crash3

Likes Dirt
Chain guide won't make a difference, it doesn't touch the tensioned side of the chain at all (i.e. at the top of the chain ring where you're having issues). Answer will be removing the BB spacer as others mentioned, to shift the chain ring inboard 2.5mm.
Cheers mate. My worrys with this are
a) I'll start bashing my pedals/chainring into the rear triangle. Hence moorey's suggestion for different sized spacers.
b) this will offset my pedals to the left-hand side of the bike? This seems like a pretty crap side-effect to deal with, hence my desire to print some spacers.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Cheers mate. My worrys with this are
a) I'll start bashing my pedals/chainring into the rear triangle. Hence moorey's suggestion for different sized spacers.
b) this will offset my pedals to the left-hand side of the bike? This seems like a pretty crap side-effect to deal with, hence my desire to print some spacers.
a) 2.5mm (or less if you swap the spacer for another thinner option) is a very small number. I'd be extremely surprised if you have less than 5mm clearance between crank and chain stay. Hard to tell from the pic below but looks like chainring clearance is likely okay also - in any case, printing spacers to shift the chainring inboard relative to the crank will still reduce chainring-chainstay clearance so won't solve that issue if it's of concern.

b) By a tiny amount you won't be able to notice, no side-effects. Swapping BB spacers around has been the solution to finessing chainline for ever - hence why 68/73mm BBs come with 2x 2.5mm spacers, not 1x5mm or in fixed widths.

crash3

Likes Dirt
I was a naughty boy and went for a ride without moving that BB spacer. Creak city.

It was really drizzly this morning, I wouldn't ride in anything heavier. So I gave the SCUM trails a miss, and rode some trails that motorbike riders seem to use. It may or may not have been a mistake.
The good news is I seem to have sorted my in-car wash setup. I just need a 'Jacob' wash setup now :/