What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So they went to all the trouble of actually writing on them to use resin only just to mess with me?? Like its engraved on there not just a rando sticker they went to some effort!

On another note rode for 30mins today round town - managed ok HOWEVER! - if you did not know better the bike is quite good - When you have seen better its a bit lackluster - Engagement is ok (better than cheap wheels from years ago ) - They don't roll very fast - Forks are well frankly very mediocre - They call it a :Big Trail" I am going to assume the Big refers to 29" wheels and the trail means rail trail - It is an XC bike at best - I'm still ok with it - just voicing opinions
What do you not like about the fork? I've had a Fox Rhythm 34 with a Grip damper previously and thought it was decent. Didn't set the world on fire, but was still a competent fork. Only criticism I had of it was a bit too much flex under braking with a 203mm rotor up front. I see in the WTB section you're after volume reducer spacers for it x4 - just an FYI if you put all them in it'll be (probably) end up being divey in the first 1/3rd of travel and ramp up like a mofo after that. Honestly, I'd highly, strongly, wholeheartedly recommend trying to tune the fork before adding spacers (Seriously, please do this...). Take out all the spacers, wind the compression fully off (and check the dial allows this, it's not always positioned/installed correctly on the Marz Z1/Z2 Grip dampers). Then set your air pressure and ride the feckin' thing. If it's soft, add some air pressure. If it's still feels a bit soft around midstroke sacrifice a little small-bump flutter if needed to get the sag/midstroke support you need. It's (IMO) important and necessary to do this on a hardtail, as otherwise if you just setup the fork to have the right sag and shove a stack of spacers in there for "support" it'll still blow through on any moderate bumps, but then ramp up way too early/hard against the spacers and you end up with a fork where all the travel feels like shit. IMO, on a hardtail you want to set up the fork for how it feels going round a berm that creates a mild G-out feeling. If it feels divey or soft in the berm the spring is too soft (add pressure). So many people seem to go "but it feels great when I'm JRA". Well no shit! There's no force on the fork! The fact it eats up corrugations on the fireroad climb doesn't mean it's setup for the descents when all you're weight's upright and forward. Or the old trope of "but the sag measures correctly!". DILLIGAF what the sag measures at? How does it ride? Doughy but still harsh as anything over bumps? Well bump your air pressure up so you actually have some midstroke support and pull out some of the spacers so the fork can actually use more travel on bigger hits!

All this may/may not be relevant to you @Minlak, I've just seen too many people do it (including myself early days). And often decent but simple forks get a reputation for being shit simply because they get sold to newbies who often make the fork ride worse than just following the manufacturer's recommended settings. I'm all for people trying different settings on suspension, but why does next to no-one seem to do any 'bracketing' when doing so? o_O Just, "Ooh, I added two spacers - it must be better now because I saw a bloke on GMBN do it!".

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
Appreciate the words - I am actually pretty good at setting suspension up - The biggest failing of these forks is stiction - this can be addressed by simply adding the foam o rings (wipers??) with oil in them under the seals as they for some reason decided they don't need them on theses forks - Also what I was saying is that if you didn't know better you would be happy - But when you have experienced better they are sadly lacking.
Also 12 months no riding and no activity really since Feb I am quite the chunky monkey now and not really in the demographic of the fork :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
What do you not like about the fork? I've had a Fox Rhythm 34 with a Grip damper previously and though it was decent. Didn't set the world on fire, but was still a competent fork.
They are a great fork... only because they are cheap and they work. No $1800 of expectations, just doing a good job for the $$$

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Resin only rotors are in theory made of a softer (eg cheaper) steel. The sintered pads will wear them out quicker. I don't think you'll notice a difference in power between rotor types (unlike differences between pad material which can be quite noticeable).
More specifically, metal-compatible rotors undergo additional heat treating processes to harden them.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
So they went to all the trouble of actually writing on them to use resin only just to mess with me?? Like its engraved on there not just a rando sticker they went to some effort!
What model are the calipers? It is possible that there may not be a metal pad option that will fit.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Cheers. I’m only doing the 35km, but that’s still 15km further than I’ve done on my bike in one go so we’ll see. Went and bought gels and Clif bars this afternoon to keep me going!
Really enjoyed this today. My legs cramped at 20km, and I had to ride through it til the end as well as through the cold I picked up from the kids during the week but I had a heap of fun.
The Prime went well, but was probably too long in the legs for an XC/DC event, particularly with 150mm on the front.
I walked up a fair few hills and finished in 3.13 - an hour after my father in law but that’s to be expected with where my fitness is. This was my first mtb event and there was a real friendly vibe. I’ll be doing more. I do see a DC bike in my future though…

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Ace rides today. Pretty slack ones too. My wife had run a local fun run this morning and was not up to riding, so she offered to shuttle me. Phark, I'm getting slack in my old age. Anyway, two runs down the awesome Baldrys sandy chutes of joy, initially clearing a lot of carnage off the trail in the first run, then some Redhill trailside fun leading into McIlroys, which is always a hoot, though I've never seen it so wet in spots... but to be honest, I usually only ride it in summer, so I'm seeing another (wet) side to Redhill, than I was before. Regardless, it was a blast.

Redhill.jpg

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
The biggest failing of these forks is stiction - this can be addressed by simply adding the foam o rings (wipers??) with oil in them under the seals as they for some reason decided they don't need them on theses forks - Also what I was saying is that if you didn't know better you would be happy - But when you have experienced better they are sadly lacking.
Also 12 months no riding and no activity really since Feb I am quite the chunky monkey now and not really in the demographic of the fork :)
Having just done my first lower service on my Bomber Z2's...can confirm fresh seals and actually putting in soaked foam rings does make a significant improvement. Shitty on Fox's part to leave the foam rings out of these things.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Really enjoyed this today. My legs cramped at 20km, and I had to ride through it til the end as well as through the cold I picked up from the kids during the week but I had a heap of fun.
The Prime went well, but was probably too long in the legs for an XC/DC event, particularly with 150mm on the front.
I walked up a fair few hills and finished in 3.13 - an hour after my father in law but that’s to be expected with where my fitness is. This was my first mtb event and there was a real friendly vibe. I’ll be doing more. I do see a DC bike in my future though…

Well done mate. Now is the time to eat plenty of good food for recovery. Then in a day or two get out for another ride and ride the wave of motivation!

Rorschach

Well done mate. Now is the time to eat plenty of good food for recovery. Then in a day or two get out for another ride and ride the wave of motivation!
Cheers!
Hoping to get a road ride in during the week provided my quads play the game - stiff as hell today despite a trip to Fremantle with the kids. Zoo today will help!

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Early one at Lysty to continue slowly building up bike fitness (apparently there was some event at YY and CBF driving to Harcourt).
Wetter than I thought it'd be, and a few trails being closed was annoying, but good morning for it.

Forgot just how much fun a hardtail is at places like Lysty.
Also forgot how much my knees and back need a bit of squish!
Still had the Ardent on the Paradox as my 'commuting' tire so cornering was interesting, especially in the slop.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Took the ‘gravel’ bike for a bikepath spin. Rode into strong headwinds in four directions, got swooped by not just several groups of magpies (including full repeat helmet-trampolining routine by one lot), but also two (separate) groups of crows! (At least they were non-violent and just pestering me to go away by fluttering around a "cawing" above my head)

Thought I struggled more than usual today too, only to discover upon arrival home the truly unholy level of brake rub (more like light brake application! :oops:) I had apparently been pushing through for my ~20km loop. Not sure what happened between today and last time I rode but yeah, I think some adjustment is in order!

Well, I went out with the intention to get a bit of a workout - mission accomplished I guess…:)

Last edited:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Cheers!
Hoping to get a road ride in during the week provided my quads play the game - stiff as hell today despite a trip to Fremantle with the kids. Zoo today will help!
Congrats on the ride mate. If you can squeeze in a very gentle 30min on the bike at some stage it’ll help a lot with the recovery.

Rorschach

Congrats on the ride mate. If you can squeeze in a very gentle 30min on the bike at some stage it’ll help a lot with the recovery.
Thanks mate, really enjoyed it
Been for a mooch round the zoo, gonna try and get a road ride in tomorrow