What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It rained a LOT last night, this morning. I took the chance to ride at Silvan and was reminded why I don't ride there in / after the rain.

Greasier than a butcher's shop floor is an understatement. Rode two trails, decided I don't like sliding around with almost no control and went home.

Highly unsatisfactory but at least rider and bike are left intact.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
It’s more what I didn't do to my bike today.

I’ve been slowly working my way through different iteration of the Kavenz to find my preferred set up. Started with full 29 on coil shock and took me a little while to get it all running sweet. Once i had it set up perfectly I changed to mullet - still with coil. Took a few rides to make a couple of changes and get that running sweet.

Today I went to sway to air shock (event thought the EXT coil has been the best shock I’ve ever run) and found that the Fox DPX2 I bought off bookface a few months back was advertised incorrectly and is NOT 205x65 but instead is 200x62.5. The different stroke could be changed but not the eye to eye so now I have to put the coil back on and sell the DPX2…

I’m a bit pissed but to be honest, I can’t see the air giving me anything the coil isn’t so will just stick with that.

yuley95

It’s more what I didn't do to my bike today.

I’ve been slowly working my way through different iteration of the Kavenz to find my preferred set up. Started with full 29 on coil shock and took me a little while to get it all running sweet. Once i had it set up perfectly I changed to mullet - still with coil. Took a few rides to make a couple of changes and get that running sweet.

Today I went to sway to air shock (event thought the EXT coil has been the best shock I’ve ever run) and found that the Fox DPX2 I bought off bookface a few months back was advertised incorrectly and is NOT 205x65 but instead is 200x62.5. The different stroke could be changed but not the eye to eye so now I have to put the coil back on and sell the DPX2…

I’m a bit pissed but to be honest, I can’t see the air giving me anything the coil isn’t so will just stick with that.
Ok, so this is weird and any help would be great… The shock i bought was advertised as coming off a Marin Alpine and being 205x65mm. If I look up the 4 digit code on the Fox website and confirms this is true BUT… it is visually shorter than my EXT shock which is 205 ETE.

Bit had to see in the photo below due to the angle and the ruler sitting above the skinny part of the shock a bit but it is most definitely bang on 200mm from the centre of the top eyelet to the centre of the bottom eyelet.
3E3A3E8D-5719-44B9-83F0-7B035684836F.jpeg

Also a bit hard to see but the exposed shaft is bang on 62.5mm. I want to sell the shock but I dont want to mislead anyone so what the fuck? How can it originally be 205mm but now is just 200mm. Or am i measuring wrong???

381AC804-A989-46F2-886E-07C22B0F5D36.jpeg

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Ok, so this is weird and any help would be great… The shock i bought was advertised as coming off a Marin Alpine and being 205x65mm. If I look up the 4 digit code on the Fox website and confirms this is true BUT… it is visually shorter than my EXT shock which is 205 ETE.

Bit had to see in the photo below due to the angle and the ruler sitting above the skinny part of the shock a bit but it is most definitely bang on 200mm from the centre of the top eyelet to the centre of the bottom eyelet.
View attachment 396731

Also a bit hard to see but the exposed shaft is bang on 62.5mm. I want to sell the shock but I dont want to mislead anyone so what the fuck? How can it originally be 205mm but now is just 200mm. Or am i measuring wrong???

View attachment 396732
The exposed shaft will never fully tuck inside the seal, so it's probably ~60mm of extended shaft.

My guess is it's probably partially stuck down. From memory Fox recommends cycling the suspension past the bleed port every 50psi increment while emptying air from the shock or the negative spring holds them down.

What pressure is in the positive side currently?

If it is that - be wary of removing the air-can when it's stuck down. If you're going to attempt it yourself - Might want the shock hardware removed (so the air can seal doesn't launch into it), and twisted up rag through the eyelet (so the aircan doesn't launch off altogether), and prepare for a bang as the pressure releases (safety glasses, earmuffs, etc...).

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
The exposed shaft will never fully tuck inside the seal, so it's probably ~60mm of extended shaft.

My guess is it's probably partially stuck down. From memory Fox recommends cycling the suspension past the bleed port every 50psi increment while emptying air from the shock or the negative spring holds them down.

My Google fu was too slow. What he said.

yuley95

If it is that - be wary of removing the air-can when it's stuck down. If you're going to attempt it yourself - Might want the shock hardware removed (so the air can seal doesn't launch into it), and twisted up rag through the eyelet (so the aircan doesn't launch off altogether), and prepare for a bang as the pressure releases (safety glasses, earmuffs, etc...).
Nice one - that would explain it i reckon. Thanks!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Nice one - that would explain it i reckon. Thanks!
In case you didn't continue with fitment/riding because the measurements were out of whack and the shock might only be partly stuck down, check and see if you can push the pressure up in the positive spring. If they've just dumped the air from the shock to cause the stuck-down condition - you might be able to save it by pumping the positive pressure up (possibly even up to max pressure if required to overcome the excess pressure in the negative side), all while cycling the shock every 25psi increment up/down in pressure. I had one DPX2 I let get partially stuck-down I fixed by doing that process. Can't guarantee it'll work, but might be worth a shot before trying to extract the aircan.

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
In case you didn't continue with figment/riding because the measurements were out of whack and the shock might only be partly stuck down, check and see if you can push the pressure up in the positive spring. If they've just dumped the air from the shock to cause the stuck-down condition - you might be able to save it by pumping the positive pressure up (possibly even up to max pressure if required to overcome the excess pressure in the negative side), all while cycling the shock every 25psi increment up/down in pressure. I had one DPX2 I let get partially stuck-down I fixed by doing that process. Can't guarantee it'll work, but might be worth a shot before trying to extract the aircan.
This worked for me with the DPX2 also. It doesn't like to be pumped up without being cycled along the way.

Without forcing the pressure equalisation then you can lose travel and if you do pump it up to the recommended pressure then it just felt too oversprung to me.

Depressurisation it fully and pump up with cycling it till you reach the required pressure.

yuley95

This worked for me with the DPX2 also. It doesn't like to be pumped up without being cycled along the way.

Without forcing the pressure equalisation then you can lose travel and if you do pump it up to the recommended pressure then it just felt too oversprung to me.

Depressurisation it fully and pump up with cycling it till you reach the required pressure.
Yep - thanks to both you and @beeb

it was very low pressure so I cycled it and pumped it it while cycling it every 25psi and we’re all goodI think.
Thanks!