What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

BT180

Max Pfaff
Thanks to TheAzza, I bought a bunch of valve cores, so I can replace my gummed up, bent presta valves that I'm struggling to inflate.

Only problem is that I really CBF'd unseating the tyres to replace sealant (front needs this badly), especially on the rear with my Ibex and HN combo. That bastard tyre was a royal PITA to get on. I'd inject straight through the valve, with the core removed, but I'm worried the sealant will just clog the valve.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks to TheAzza, I bought a bunch of valve cores, so I can replace my gummed up, bent presta valves that I'm struggling to inflate.

Only problem is that I really CBF'd unseating the tyres to replace sealant (front needs this badly), especially on the rear with my Ibex and HN combo. That bastard tyre was a royal PITA to get on. I'd inject straight through the valve, with the core removed, but I'm worried the sealant will just clog the valve.
I do that all the time. Never had a problem with the stem clogging up.

slowmick

38-39"

Go for your life - it'll be fine. i've only ever added sealant through the valve with the core removed and I've got passion fingers.
Got a sealant syringe? makes it dead easy.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I do that all the time. Never had a problem with the stem clogging up.
Go for your life - it'll be fine. I've only ever added sealant through the valve with the core removed and I've got passion fingers.
Got a sealant syringe? makes it dead easy.
I've done it before using Stans and yeah, I do have a syringe. I recently started using Mitas (Rubena) sealant though, which seems way more potent. Will give it a go anyway.

What about the old sealant remnants? Shouldn't i be cleaning that out?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
@BT180 The Rubena is fine through the valve stem! Leave the old in too. If you remove it, the new sealant just has to plug the gaps left.

BT180

Max Pfaff
@BT180 - seems your tyres are lasting a bit longer now? you seemed to be changing them weekly for a while...
haha felt like it was weekly! My current Ibex and Huck Norris combo are doing the trick. Although the Ibex is getting thrashed on all the rocks and is turning quickly into a semi slick.

@BT180 The Rubena is fine through the valve stem! Leave the old in too. If you remove it, the new sealant just has to plug the gaps left.
Yep, did it last night. Old cores out, Rubena in through a syringe and new cores back in. So easy and made a massive difference. I could pump the rear tyre up again!

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is the Rubena/Mitas any good? I was thinking of making the switch, but read somewhere it dried out really quickly, but not sure how true that is.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Is the Rubena/Mitas any good? I was thinking of making the switch, but read somewhere it dried out really quickly, but not sure how true that is.
Well I didn't pop the bead to take a look, so couldn't tell you! Stuck the end of a hex key inside the valve stem as a bit of a dip stick and there was still some liquid in there. Topped it up anyway. Been really good so far. Haven't had any issues, so I guess it's doing its job. So much cheaper than Stans, etc, so it's great value. Gummed up my hand pretty quickly when i accidentally spilt some.

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well I didn't pop the bead to take a look, so couldn't tell you! Stuck the end of a hex key inside the valve stem as a bit of a dip stick and there was still some liquid in there. Topped it up anyway. Been really good so far. Haven't had any issues, so I guess it's doing its job. So much cheaper than Stans, etc, so it's great value. Gummed up my hand pretty quickly when i accidentally spilt some.
Cheers. Might give it a go for my next batch.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Not true at all. I find it lasts a lot longer than regular Stans. And no boogers!

Jpez

Down on the left!
Chucked a new 2.5 wt Aggressor and a Huck Norris on the rear.
Looking forward to trying out on the weekend.

BT180

Max Pfaff

$50 shipped with 2 valves, or $40 shipped without, for 1000ml.

Sweet! Wish I saw that one. Bought mine off eBay also, but didn't come with valves.

Chucked a new 2.5 wt Aggressor and a Huck Norris on the rear.
Looking forward to trying out on the weekend.
Keen to try the 2.5 WT Aggressor. Does it come in a DD version?