What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Rode Redhill roadside trails again today. Started at the bottom of Baldrey’s, rode up to the top, busting many spider webs on the way, turned around and bombed down. Just love finishing in the sandy shutes of Baldrey’s. Drop the seat, get off the back, let your hands go loose so the frontend can go where it needs to go. Fun, fun, fun.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Still chipping away at the hardtail build.

I changed the dropper from external to internal routing and threw it in the frame. Also gave it a clean and relube internally.

I must have bent the upper at some point because it was sticking about 1/3 of the way down the travel. It still goes through the motion, but don't know for how much longer...

Also found this little decal on the frame. Fairly fitting... :D

IMAG1596-1500x2000.jpg

BT180

Max Pfaff
Took the bike out today with the newly released and installed Aggressor 2.5WT and a Huck Norris in the rear.
Changed out from a 2.3 Aggressor. With HN dropped the psi from 23-25ish to bear my 90kg weight to 18 in the rear and all I can say is wow. Grip for days even in bone dry You Yangs conditions and my already favourite rear the Aggressor is even more favoriterer!
Keen to try this on the rear. Had a 2.3 Aggressor a couple of tyres back. What size you running on the front? I already have a DHF 2.5 WT on the front and have always run a narrower tyre on the rear. Maybe 2.5 on the rear is too much.....?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Aside from sorting the cable routing on the Ripley (see separate thread) fitted a Hope crankset & bottom bracket to my mate's Bronson.

Man, that contraption is e-n-g-i-n-e-e-r-e-d - Hope supplies no less than five(!) new tools with the setup, and the instructions have an additional instruction appendix.

Do not - I repeat DO NOT try to install these without following the instructions lest it end in tears.

Here's a crap photo of the end product:

Do I rate the Hope cranks? Shimano do it better

There is a good explanation about the installation process below, including an interview with Hope asking WTF:

http://bluntmtb.blogspot.com/2016/05/hope-crank-installation-and-review.html

Chris Gray

Cannon Fodder
After 2 years with my bike (second hand Scott Scale 960 HT) its had new bottom bracket, new free hub, forks full service, new brake pads and service, couple of new tyres and as of two days ago, new chain and cassette.
Don't rack up huge kilometres on it but do what I can with the time I get between running kids around after school etc.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Aside from sorting the cable routing on the Ripley (see separate thread) fitted a Hope crankset & bottom bracket to my mate's Bronson.

Man, that contraption is e-n-g-i-n-e-e-r-e-d - Hope supplies no less than five(!) new tools with the setup, and the instructions have an additional instruction appendix.

Do not - I repeat DO NOT try to install these without following the instructions lest it end in tears.

Here's a crap photo of the end product:

Do I rate the Hope cranks? Shimano do it better

There is a good explanation about the installation process below, including an interview with Hope asking WTF:

http://bluntmtb.blogspot.com/2016/05/hope-crank-installation-and-review.html
Hope supply the tool required to fit the required 30mm bb for their cranks? I thought it needed to be purchased elsewhere.

Does it come with the cranks or the bb?

Where did he buy from?

goobags

Likes Dirt
After 2 years with my bike (second hand Scott Scale 960 HT) its had new bottom bracket, new free hub, forks full service, new brake pads and service, couple of new tyres and as of two days ago, new chain and cassette.
Don't rack up huge kilometres on it but do what I can with the time I get between running kids around after school etc.
Mate your doing well, 6 month old bike has new forks, New shock, new brakes, new dropper, New chainring, and one new tyre!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpez

Down on the left!
Keen to try this on the rear. Had a 2.3 Aggressor a couple of tyres back. What size you running on the front? I already have a DHF 2.5 WT on the front and have always run a narrower tyre on the rear. Maybe 2.5 on the rear is too much.....?
2.5WT minion DHF on the front.
I ran 2.5f/2.3r as well. With the Aggressor being a fairly fast rolling tire it is a non issue and is perfect for my trails and riding.
Anyway it rolls just as fast as the 2.3 and with the HN and low pressures gives oodles of grip when you want it and confidence. Seriously feels like I added another 10mm of travel to the rear. I love it.
So I definitely don’t think it’s too much at all.
I am thinking about throwing a 2.6 on the front though just because.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I had a dream that Rob Warner was helping me with a Kona that I was taking overseas, replacing the stock Kona-branded tyre that was literally falling apart with a brand new Minion that I just happened to have in the boot of the car. And he was so awesome, he managed to do it without removing the wheel from the bike, or the bike from the work stand.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Finally replaced the bent lever blade in my M810's with one off a defunct set procured through Facebook groups; cheap and effective fix FTW! Also, I can now confirm that the lever blade is reversible from LH to RH brakes :)

Also bled the brakes, put on fresh Hope rotors (old RT-76's were about 0.03mm off minimum thickness), sanded back & re-bedded the pads, fresh bars (wider & replacing crash damaged ones) and gave it all a once over. Should be just about all sorted for Thredbo in a few weeks now :D

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I went around the pivots with a torque wrench.
Then reset the front & rear static sag to about 30%.
Turns out I was running a little too much air in both.....particularly my Pike.
Will be interesting to see how it feels next ride...

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought this bike brand new in 2008 but for the last 5 years it's been sitting in my shed dormant. Decided I'd resurrect it to use as a beater/commuter/trailer puller. Striped all the 3x9 stuff off it and I'm using a donor 10spd XT drivetrain I found in the parts box coupled with a NW chainring that was also floating around. I also decided I'd use an old Reverb dropper post I've had lying around too for a bit of fun. They weren't thinking of internal routed posts back then so I made my own.

Sound hopefully have it all going again by next week. Although from memory the rear shock is a bit shit. But who knows who can fix those these days

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought this bike brand new in 2008 but for the last 5 years it's been sitting in my shed dormant. Decided I'd resurrect it to use as a beater/commuter/trailer puller. Striped all the 3x9 stuff off it and I'm using a donor 10spd XT drivetrain I found in the parts box coupled with a NW chainring that was also floating around. I also decided I'd use an old Reverb dropper post I've had lying around too for a bit of fun. They weren't thinking of internal routed posts back then so I made my own.

Sound hopefully have it all going again by next week. Although from memory the rear shock is a bit shit. But who knows who can fix those these days
ummm.. is that a crack near the hole you've drilled already?

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I killed it... :^(

I was having an awesome time on it, loving it to bits and remarking to myself how much I enjoy riding it. Lost control due to burping + low tyre pressure on the front. The trail was riven with trees and didn't want to hit one (too many injuries over time) so aimed it directly at a tree to not hit it with my body or hands if that makes sense.

Heard a crack and thought that the carbon wheel had gone so I'd be buying a new rim.

Looked at the wheel and it's fine, I think "RESULT!"
I get it all mounted up and inflated and spin it and she's 100% good.

Give the bike a look over and see this at the head tube... (photo 1)

I then spin it upside down and see this..... (photo 2)

So I go from loving it to never riding it again in less than 5 seconds.

I'm gutted. Crash replacement cost for the front triangle is eye-wateringly expensive (Trek 9.9 frame) and so it's time to buy a whole new frame.
(yes I know, that sounds stupid, but the cost of a replacement front triangle, coupled with the time it'll take to get to me makes buying a whole new one a real option).

Whilst I did get in contact with Raoul Luscher and he's cautiously optimistic it can be repaired pending proper inspection, I'm not sure I feel it can be.
There's a hole you could park your hand in under the head tube which is such a high stress area.

Now it's boost cranks, boost wheels (or a boostinator set)

Love your bikes while you have them people.

Attachments

Last edited: