What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

stirk

Burner
I killed it... :^(

I was having an awesome time on it, loving it to bits and remarking to myself how much I enjoy riding it. Lost control due to burping + low tyre pressure on the front. The trail was riven with trees and didn't want to hit one (too many injuries over time) so aimed it directly at a tree to not hit it with my body or hands if that makes sense.

Heard a crack and thought that the carbon wheel had gone so I'd be buying a new rim.

Looked at the wheel and it's fine, I think "RESULT!"
I get it all mounted up and inflated and spin it and she's 100% good.

Give the bike a look over and see this at the head tube... (photo 1)

I then spin it upside down and see this..... (photo 2)

So I go from loving it to never riding it again in less than 5 seconds.

I'm gutted. Crash replacement cost for the front triangle is eye-wateringly expensive (Trek 9.9 frame) and so it's time to buy a whole new frame.
(yes I know, that sounds stupid, but the cost of a replacement front triangle, coupled with the time it'll take to get to me makes buying a whole new one a real option).

Whilst I did get in contact with Raoul Luscher and he's cautiously it can be repaired pending proper inspection, I'm not sure I feel it can be.
There's a hole you could park your hand in under the head tube which is such a high stress area.

Now it's boost cranks, boost wheels (or a boostinator set)

Love your bikes while you have them people.
Damn, sorry you broke your bike.

Remember next time, human ribs heal, carbon frames do not.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To carbon bikes...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I think that if it was any other material it'd have folded. If not then it might have well been compromised without me noticing which is actually more dangerous.

I've thought about this incident and wondered if handling it another way would have been better but I've spent plenty of time healing in hospital so as costly and annoying as it is I'm grateful to be looking at a broken bike over a broken body part. You don't always heal 100% as I've found to my cost, even after surgery.

And I've another bike to ride so it could be worse. :^)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I think that if it was any other material it'd have folded. If not then it might have well been compromised without me noticing which is actually more dangerous.

I've thought about this incident and wondered if handling it another way would have been better but I've spent plenty of time healing in hospital so as costly and annoying as it is I'm grateful to be looking at a broken bike over a broken body part. You don't always heal 100% as I've found to my cost, even after surgery.

Impossible to know for sure. The intact fork and rim make me suspicious though.

I agree, better to have a broken bike then an injury, so its a really good thing that you're intact.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Suck it broke, now more inportantly, what are you gonna buy?
Yep, that's the question.
Mrs Reverend has been great and suggested (believe me it's real).. "You've had that a while, perhaps get something new and different...?"
In the mix is;
Orbea Rallon (rare as and super pricey)
SC HTLT (pricey that STA though..)
Rocky Mountain Instinct - takes a while to get hold of
Trek Fuel - another Trek?
Norco Sight / Range - Hmmm?
Intense Primer - very interesting and appealing.

Open to suggestions from the crowd..
I'm keen on something versatile, durable and that pedals well. Reach needs to be ~/>480mm in XL / XXL.
Prefer threaded bb and with an ISCG05 mount.

I don't think I want alloy (weight and ride feel) but we'll see.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Impossible to know for sure. The intact fork and rim make me suspicious though.

I agree, better to have a broken bike then an injury, so its a really good thing that you're intact.

I know, it's so strange that the rim is fine as well as the fork. I guess all the force went into the frame and just crumpled it below the HT. I've looked the wheel over repeatedly and it's not got any cracks in it. I've not been able to ride it either so who knows what's going on in it.

I actually feel that the fork and wheel were saved by the frame collapsing instead of other elements taking it.

Flow-Rider

Burner

I had a bloke at the last minute swerve into my path and have clip stack in front of me, on all places a fire fire road.

He left me no where to go but run over his head at 25ks or bin in into trees. The first tree I bounced off of with my shoulder, damaged my rotator cuff and second tree I hit as I was coming down to the ground almost knocked out my front teeth and busted my lips open.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well it’s not ally, or carbon..... production privee shan 5?l
Interesting, I've never given them a moment's thought actually. I don't know if I'm into steel but could be proven wrong. They seem $$$ for what they are, maybe it's my unrealistic expectations. It'd be heavy, and prone to rust I'd have thought which is not a selling point.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a bloke at the last minute swerve into my path and have clip stack in front of me, on all places a fire fire road.

He left me no where to go but run over his head at 25ks or bin in into trees. The first tree I bounced off of with my shoulder, damaged my rotator cuff and second tree I hit as I was coming down to the ground almost knocked out my front teeth and busted my lips open.
Ouch! A mate of mine recently clipped his bars on a tree and went down hard on his shoulder. That broke like a twig in 4 places.... I'm letting the bike take the hit every-single-time..

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well given I fitted just fine on your old Superfly, I reckon an XL Primer (what I'm rocking) would right up your street
I recall you being happy with it. I loved that bike too, first one to fit me properly. It's possible to get one pretty quickly too.
Don't really want PF again but let's see. I'm trying the SC this weekend so will know if that's got a chance of winning out.