What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Z

Zaf

Mmmmm nice. How's this for a justification:

"That knob Oddjob will shut his stupid trap about pressfit this, mediocre mass market that, once he finds out about my Nicolai with a gearbox.

I can then live without shame and stop taking this expensive anxiety medication."
Haha, that's right, you gave me shit about Pressfit BB's!! That'll soon be a thing of the past, along with lubing chains, dishing wheels, adjusting derailleur limits... actually on that subject I destroyed a derailleur in the race on the weekend, and that made me feel so much better about the purchase. Second one that's caught a rock in the past year, both of which have been XTR M9000 :\

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Are you getting carbon or alloy? Is it the usual Nicolai 4 bar linkage with tensioners?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

Are you getting carbon or alloy? Is it the usual Nicolai 4 bar linkage with tensioners?
Alloy with the Pinion/Gates Carbon Belt drive.
It is an Ion G-Series style bike, so if you're familiar with the range, it'll be very similar to what the ION-G13-GPI or the ION-G16-GPI are like; has the linkage that then mounts to the mid down tube position (back to under downtube bottle mount).
I optioned in the shorter seat tube, half for aesthetic reasons as well as for fitting a 200mm dropper onto the bike. I'll start buying bits and pieces for it soon, although some parts will likely be stolen from the other bikes. Going to do a custom wheelbuild for it though, Pinion offer a single speed boost hub that I want to play with (undished WITH Boost spacing, @moorey ).

Feeling pretty excited by it.
Oh, colours wise, Raw front triangle and ?Beltstays? with black linkage and seatstays; the decals are just reversed of that (black on anything raw, raw on anything black). Figured if it's gonna be lasting 5 years, better get a finish that wont get trashed by scuffs etc.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Jesus titty fucking H christ that is gonna be mint. Im stoked your finally getting something proper boutique (yeti can eat a flaming bag if dicks) but jealous as fuck and hate you at the same time. Kindly go fuck yourself, and don’t forget build pics

Z

Zaf

Jesus titty fucking H christ that is gonna be mint. Im stoked your finally getting something proper boutique (yeti can eat a flaming bag if dicks) but jealous as fuck and hate you at the same time. Kindly go fuck yourself, and don’t forget build pics
Haha yeah, absolutely!!!
I have been flirting with the idea of just going full retard and grabbing Trickstuff brakes for it as well. And after seeing Paul Aston's GPI G16 on Pinkbike I toyed with the idea of going the Intend-BC Inverted fork with the EXT Storia.

But the cost is right up there already (more than $6500, before GST, no shock), so the plan today isn't to drop another $3000 on suspension parts when I'm sitting on high quality suspension packages already. That said...there's a long time between now and May, and I'm selling stuff to help fund this. I might not buy it today, but given this is already becoming a "last hoorah" build, its a solid possibility of just letting loose on it.

Z

Zaf

Adds For Sale thread to my watching list...
Probably not a bad idea, the Stumpy will go up first. The Slash will likely stick around until the Nicolai arrives (I'm heading to Newcastle over Easter and need a sled for that), but I've got so much shit I need to sell. Plan is to keep the Honzo, but I have been eyeing off a Nordest Lacrau and frothing at the idea of having that as my two bike stable. So it's days may be numbered as well.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
^ That lot should go someway to replacing the foldies... probably not mine though, I won't buy a S and the Slash is too similar to one of my current bikes, that Honzo on the other hand...

rstim

Likes Dirt
So as of this morning, I have paid (in full) the last bike I'll own for the next five years (well, until it hits Australian shores, then it's gonna sting me again with GST).
Better get the others for sale to fund this little venture; because German made, custom, Pinion gearbox frames come at a bit of a premium. It's being built for delivery approx May, I can't give full details because the model is yet to be released/announced and was offered as part of a discussion regarding their other bikes in the lineup.

Feels exciting, I've been looking at gearbox bikes for over two years now, and been holding off to see if the technology would mature any (in particular with the grip shift). Then a few things lined up this year, including just being able to use a bike with a gripshift and dispel some of the concerns surrounding it. I'm also heading back to uni at the end of the year to start the long journey towards becoming a FACEM. So I'm whittling down the stable, and getting something special that will last! And yes, even I believe that at this point, after this I hope to only buy Pinion Gearbox oil, brake pads and tyres...I've drunk enough of my own bathwater to justify it, and it will eventually become cost effective when it gets past its first 4000km.
What happened to the Raww Madonna did that order get cancelled? Or have I got you mixed up and it's someone else that had one on order?

Super jealous of the incoming steed, love the look of the Nicoli's and a gearbox just tops that off. Dream bike for me, can't wait to see the build and hear your thoughts.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

What happened to the Raww Madonna did that order get cancelled? Or have I got you mixed up and it's someone else that had one on order?

Super jealous of the incoming steed, love the look of the Nicoli's and a gearbox just tops that off. Dream bike for me, can't wait to see the build and hear your thoughts.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
That was me, I had a preorder, but then there was a concern with funds transfers (no credit card options), a new company and international transport. Just made me go back to the drawing board, asked Nicolai a few questions and the option that came back was just...Perfect. And I've been wanting a gearbox bike for a while now, so it all lined up perfectly.

Still a little ways off delivery, they're saying May is the ETA for this one, but it's confirmed in the production run now.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk

mtb1611

Seymour
Finally did the 1 x 11 conversion on the Trance, having purchased it weeks ago. Went on extremely easily. New shifter is bar-mount whereas old setup was I-Spec B so I've had to adjust the angle of the brake and shift levers but a cursory ride deemed them to still be comfortable and functional. Looking forward to a proper offroad test soon.

MTB CONVER.jpg

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
A few tweaks with the Stinger build today.

Installed dropper and sorted the cable, tuned rear derailleur. And the big one, that I'm very proud of myself for :p.... My first successful tubeless setup with tape! 2.6 dhr for the front with Huck Norris installed.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to finish the build tonight for a maiden voyage at Anglesea tomorrow.

received_1649729955116200.jpeg

My first successful tubeless setup with tape! 2.6 dhr for the front with Huck Norris installed.

Fingers crossed I'll be able to finish the build tonight for a maiden voyage at Anglesea tomorrow.

View attachment 343385
A wise choice throwing in the Huck Norris strips... found my Hope rims to be soft as butter!

New rubber day for my enduro, & after running a set of Bontragers on it I can say I'm happy to be returning back to Maxxis DHR/F IIs. Now all I need is for the trails to dry out a little bit more up here on the Sunny Coast so I can get out for a spin on them!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Pro’s of being soft though, I bottomed on my enduro rear and bent the bead over so it was touching the bed of the rim, however the tyre still held on and ddnt lose any pressure. Was able to ride the 2 hrs back to the car! Swings and roundabouts I suppose.

Z

Zaf

Fuckin mint. You getting it raw too?
Raw front triangle and chianstays, black seats tats and linkage. Colour reversed for decals, so decals on raw will be black, decals on black will be silver/raw.

I had contemplated going with other colours, but in the end it needs to stretch 5years, and any paint job is gonna start to weather from that time. Raw is timeless.