What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Are you a left lever front braker? Or is that line just flapping in the wind up there?
Line is flapping in the wind. Will probably zip tie to arch and other lines.

Man you should feel how solid these brakes feel. I always thought the m775/m810 levers were superior to m785/m820 and m8000 levers. Having the goodridge lines just makes it ridiculous. Hope e4/v4 fans would probably hate it.

One interesting side effect is that you can tell through your fingers that the rear line is longer because there is just an incy bit more flex compared to the absolutely rock hard front.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

Line is flapping in the wind. Will probably zip tie to arch and other lines.

Man you should feel how solid these brakes feel. I always thought the m775/m810 levers were superior to m785/m820 and m8000 levers. Having the goodridge lines just makes it ridiculous. Hope e4/v4 fans would probably hate it.

One interesting side effect is that you can tell through your fingers that the rear line is longer because there is just an incy bit more flex compared to the absolutely rock hard front.

I ran the M820's for a while on the Yeti' and loved them. I thought the Goodridge lines just give a threaded outer sheathing, do they have a different internal setup and diameter as well? Higher Pressure?

The bike looks good! (I think you should murder out the rims and fork though)!
Is it internal routing on the rear brake line? It doesn't tuck in above the downtube like the Nicolai does, looks like the dropper cable exits at the back of the seattube though, same as a Ragley.

Oddjob

Basically smaller version of the motorcycle lines - PTFE inner, steel braid and then plastic sheath, stainless steel fittings.

I know Hope claim that braided and plastic lines are equivalent, but I also know that race cars run solid extruded brake lines where they can and goodridge style lines everywhere else for a reason.

Internal routing for the front triangle, external routing for the rear triangle. Dropper post line pops out at bottom of seat tube, runs around the bb shell then into the bottom of downtube with the other lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

Basically smaller version of the motorcycle lines - PTFE inner, steel braid and then plastic sheath, stainless steel fittings.

I know Hope claim that braided and plastic lines are equivalent, but I also know that race cars run solid extruded brake lines where they can and goodridge style lines everywhere else for a reason.

Internal routing for the front triangle, external routing for the rear triangle. Dropper post line pops out at bottom of seat tube, runs around the bb shell then into the bottom of downtube with the other lines.

I've never used braided cables, I've heard they're just a nightmarwhen it comes to cutting to length and never had an issue with the hydraulic lines on any brakes I've used. But admittedly hadn't realised there was a difference in feel from the lines.

I gotta admit, I'm a big fan of clean external routing. The Yeti Sb5's and Sb66c had beautiful cable routing along the inside of the downtube, just so easy to manage. I think Canyon finally figured out the perfect mix of "cleanliness of internal/Practicality of external" with their new Spectral and Torque design.

Oddjob

I've never used braided cables, I've heard they're just a nightmarwhen it comes to cutting to length and never had an issue with the hydraulic lines on any brakes I've used. But admittedly hadn't realised there was a difference in feel from the lines.

I gotta admit, I'm a big fan of clean external routing. The Yeti Sb5's and Sb66c had beautiful cable routing along the inside of the downtube, just so easy to manage. I think Canyon finally figured out the perfect mix of "cleanliness of internal/Practicality of external" with their new Spectral and Torque design.
I've got the park cable cutter and it works a treat. https://www.pushys.com.au/park-tool...5NlgM4XYl-dZTVYRDHMaAhKPEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
I then use a medium phillips head as my mandrel and a 8mm wrench to screw on the fittings. It's much simpler than dealing with olives and needle drivers.

Braided cables make a huge difference. Mineral oil has compressabilty that is on par with aluminium, ~2x10^6 psi. PTFE has yield and tensile strength 3 orders of magnitude lower than mineral oil. Stainless steel cable has tensile strength within the ball park of mineral oil. So in theory and in my experience braided cables transfer force more efficiently.

The SAM is my first bike with internal cable routing. It was a bit of a pain but it is pretty neat. At this stage I'm agnostic.

Oddjob

Not the answer I wanted to hear, the range is very limited here and the bike shops cry about getting less business.
Sorry. But the current reality is that its cheaper for a tyre made in Thailand to be shipped to Germany and then flown to Australia rather than be shipped direct to Australia. Either the transport pricing model is broken, or the wholesale pricing model is broken...

Z

Zaf

I've got the park cable cutter and it works a treat. https://www.pushys.com.au/park-tool...5NlgM4XYl-dZTVYRDHMaAhKPEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
I then use a medium phillips head as my mandrel and a 8mm wrench to screw on the fittings. It's much simpler than dealing with olives and needle drivers.

Braided cables make a huge difference. Mineral oil has compressabilty that is on par with aluminium, ~2x10^6 psi. PTFE has yield and tensile strength 3 orders of magnitude lower than mineral oil. Stainless steel cable has tensile strength within the ball park of mineral oil. So in theory and in my experience braided cables transfer force more efficiently.

The SAM is my first bike with internal cable routing. It was a bit of a pain but it is pretty neat. At this stage I'm agnostic.

Just saw this!

Its be interesting to do a double blind where thats the only difference. I've never had much of an issue with delivery of power, but the logic is certainly sound in it.

It just takes one bad cable routing to change your mind on that.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Sorry. But the current reality is that its cheaper for a tyre made in Thailand to be shipped to Germany and then flown to Australia rather than be shipped direct to Australia. Either the transport pricing model is broken, or the wholesale pricing model is broken...

I bought one from Britain last but I don't mind paying for a good tyre as long as it's what I want.

Oddjob

And its done!

-went to Thomson 70mm stem.
-maxed out pressure in Float X Evol at 300psi, for 35% sag. Mmm less pizza. Edit: just checked manual, max is 350, now I need a shock pump that goes to 350.
-fitted Selle Smp Hybrid saddle.
-fitted Time ATAC Z pedals.
-fitted mudguards to be proper #endurobro.

Going for a shakedown ride tonight at Manly Dam.

Oddjob

Csixx carbon fibre chainguide/bashguard. https://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/...oduct/review-csixx-150gm-chainguide-13-47358/

Given that this bike is going to my mini dh bike I decided to get a proper chainguard. This came up secondhand on FB. It was fiddly to fit but I made it work, just. It kisses the swingarm at max compression.

It takes 32-42 teeth and it looks like it can manage oval chainrings which is handy.

Z

Zaf

That outer ring is heuge!

My frame is expected to be finished next week, should be shipped soon after that. Forks are on order, had to special order in the 46mm offset version for the bike, so another 4-6weeks on them arriving, shock should be about another 3 weeks as well. Really need to start listing the other bikes for sale, I haven't been on a bike for over two weeks due to illness (probably wont be until next week at this stage as well).

Planning a road trip at the end of the year to get over to Newcastle that will cut down through Melrose, Kangaroo Island, Otways, Tassie, then up through Victorian High Country, Bright/Mt Beauty into NSW. So will probably cut down to just the one bike to travel with, depending on how things go with the Nicolai I might buy another Gearbox hardtail...will see.

I just realised that one the newly delayed Nicolai timeline the delivery of the frame is going to hit the window where I'm out of the fucking country for a week. Had to ask them to delay delivery so as not to conflict with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Took delivery of my new spectral today. First new bike in a fairly long time (and last for a fairly long time according to the misses).
Looking forward to putting it together over the weekend. One thing tho the 2.6 tyres on this seem to be massive compared the 2.3 that were on my old reign.
View attachment 345441
Which one you get? Interested in the post your ride and a ride report.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
That outer ring is heuge!

My frame is expected to be finished next week, should be shipped soon after that. Forks are on order, had to special order in the 46mm offset version for the bike, so another 4-6weeks on them arriving, shock should be about another 3 weeks as well. Really need to start listing the other bikes for sale, I haven't been on a bike for over two weeks due to illness (probably wont be until next week at this stage as well).

Planning a road trip at the end of the year to get over to Newcastle that will cut down through Melrose, Kangaroo Island, Otways, Tassie, then up through Victorian High Country, Bright/Mt Beauty into NSW. So will probably cut down to just the one bike to travel with, depending on how things go with the Nicolai I might buy another Gearbox hardtail...will see.

I just realised that one the newly delayed Nicolai timeline the delivery of the frame is going to hit the window where I'm out of the fucking country for a week. Had to ask them to delay delivery so as not to conflict with it.
Might have missed a post, which fork did you decide on in the end?

Z

Zaf

Might have missed a post, which fork did you decide on in the end?
The lads at EightyOneSpices have hooked me up with a Formula Selva with a 46mm offset.
Also have a Durolux with a CRConception damper and coil kit in it, and a Fox 36 Talas.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk