What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Z

Zaf

Don't you already have both of those german Rube Goldberg devices?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
I wonder if the "Kraut Space Magic" meme for the H&K G11 will transfer to the Pinion Gearbox.

"Whats in that thing?!"
"We taught a watch how to propel a bike!"

That pic is the new Grip shifter design btw. Updated cable routing and ergonomics.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk

stirk

Burner
MacGuyvered it back to the car......

It grumbled through a shift about 100 meters before I felt something brush the inside of my leg. Seems the securing bolt fell out. Was a little unexpected.

A strategically placed stick underneath and a Garmin mount rubber band (not pictured) around the top held it in place for a slow(er) ride back.
What is that thing?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wonder if the "Kraut Space Magic" meme for the H&K G11 will transfer to the Pinion Gearbox.

"Whats in that thing?!"

That pic is the new Grip shifter design btw. Updated cable routing and ergonomics.

I think Dales Cannon may have nailed it, much as I hate CVT as a concept, the leap forward we are looking for may not be a slung gearbox. Your comment on the mech watch made me realise how obvious that is. I know your invested in it, and my next bike might have a box too, but looking to the future, it's not clear to me this horse and cart needs new spokes on its timber wheels when there's other things available.

Reactions: Zaf

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Lucky it held on, nice Macgyvering.

Now the big question, would you have replaced a broken Di2 mech or just gone “bugger it” and slapped a chainguide on?

@Cardy George

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Lucky it held on, nice Macgyvering.

Now the big question, would you have replaced a broken Di2 mech or just gone “bugger it” and slapped a chainguide on?

@Cardy George
Nah, it would've been replaced. The 26 wouldn't have got me to a wind assisted 40km/h on the flat, and the 36 wouldn't have got me up the 20% climb I did on the way to Fox Creek in the Adelaide hills and plan to do again as many times as I can get the thing back over there.

There's not many and they're not very long, but there's a few climbs around here that need the little ring

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I live for the hills. The flat straight roads around here give me the shits. It's the one and only thing I regret moving away from.

I fully intended to order it as a 1x and put the extra cash into something else, but the shop guy talked me through the shortcomings and I'm 100% glad I listened.

Those caps, the shiz!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Yeah I get by with 32-42 as a granng round here but the hills are small, more undulating single track so it’s pretty manageable. Tight techy crap so your standing and mashing most of the time anyway, also I’m not afraid to drive the 15k’s down the road to different trails, top speed isn’t a worry in the car haha.

When I get around to building a gravel bike (probably a xc hardtail) it’ll probably have twin rings up front too. It does make sense for longer xc stuff

Z

Zaf

I think Dales Cannon may have nailed it, much as I hate CVT as a concept, the leap forward we are looking for may not be a slung gearbox. Your comment on the mech watch made me realise how obvious that is. I know your invested in it, and my next bike might have a box too, but looking to the future, it's not clear to me this horse and cart needs new spokes on its timber wheels when there's other things available.
CVT would still work inside a gearbox-like design with a single chain/belt drive to the rear wheel, especially on a MTB design.
I still think gearboxes will make up a rather large market share over the next decade, especially with this surge in e-bike designs and capabilities. A lot of the development in that sector, and experience in bike design will no doubt become transferable in some way to a better gearbox design and it certainly normalises people to the aesthetic.

We have no idea what is to come, but I am convinced enough of the advantages of a gearbox to invest in it. We're starting to properly diverge from our road riding routes, the chain and derailleur has come a long way in its adaptation to MTB'ing but it's clear enough that moving forward (especially with e-biking) we're going to be taking more cues from Moto...hopefully starting with a full fledged investment in "Right brake front" only designs...then we can throw the clutch for the gearboxes in a logical space and give @Oddjob the under power shifts he wants.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

"Whats in that thing?!"

Grip shift(er) and economics. Two words that don't go next to each other in a sentence.

Z

Zaf

Grip shift(er) and economics. Two words that don't go next to each other in a sentence.
Designed in conjunction with Ergon.

I don't mind the gripshifts, the only downside to them is they limit grip options a little bit.

madstace

Likes Dirt
Retail therapy for Q1 2019 sorted.
Wait, WTF???

Market: "Give us trigger shifters!"
Pinion: "No"
Pinion: "hmm.....no"
Pinion: "hmm.....ok, here's a nicer grip shifter"

*head explodes*

Z

Zaf

Wait, WTF???

Pinion: "No"
Pinion: "hmm.....no"
Pinion: "hmm.....ok, here's a nicer grip shifter"

*head explodes*
When you say "Market" you mean "everyone who doesn't even own a Gearbox bike" right?
Seriously, what's the beef with gripshifters? I think you guys might just be complaining for complaints sake at this point, it's a simple, effective, robust and reliable system that fits the application perfectly for delivering an uncomplicated method of applying torque in both directions.