What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Jpez

Down on the left!
Purchased through Pinion I'm afraid, not even sure Nicolai have the kits there, all their gearbox bikes come exclusively with Gates belt drives.
Thankfully Bikeknack is happy to accept returns on the belts ordered. He also has 125t belts in stock (and 132t belts, although they spike to $160/unit). In any case, I've purchased the chain system now, might need to cool off before I go buying belts again...been a frustrating few weeks.

- Belt snapped.
- Mis-ordered replacements thanks to trusting inaccurate invoice.
- Gates have not responded to e-mails from Nicolai and Myself RE: Warranty, phone calls to them talk to people who don't know.
- Burgtec sent the wrong thing, have still no responded to requests for how to proceed with replacement (contacted on the 17th)
- Stripped Bontrager hub, the second of the same design to have this happen in the past 12 months.
- Honzo cracked and given to store for warranty >2 weeks ago; as of Sunday was still sitting there uncollected by Groupe Sportif.
Zac, That lump of Burgtec was giving me a stiffy. Send me a PM if you can't get a refund and just want to sell it.

Reactions: Zaf

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I'll definitely keep it in mind! I might be able to carry it over to the other Nicolai I buy to replace everything else, but I'll see what happens.

As an aside, I feel I might have been a bit rash with the belt drive after last night. I shouldn't be allowed to be angry with a credit card, because I find myself trying to buy my way out of the emotion.
Dumping $500 on a whole new drive system could be seen as a bit rash when you could have just got the longer belt ...
Can you ask them to cancel the order for the chain drive system ?
If not, then surely there is a raging market for proprietary gearbox chain drive units ...

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Just a little rash.
Shipped already.
Still not going to hurt to have in the spares box, I could phrase in terms of "experiencing the difference" but I think you're all going to see through that.

Oh well, it's only money, I can make more.
Can you make me some too? I'm presuming you're talking counterfeit money?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Then DMan could afford some $27 chips shipped outta the UK!

Personally I reckon the chains the way to go. Too much powah zaf, you’ll keep snappin belts. When setting up direct drive belts that run heavy fans you always allow it to slip abit and pick speed up gradually. Belts last longer that way.
Smooth pedalling is the order of the day.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Just a little rash.
Shipped already.
Still not going to hurt to have in the spares box, I could phrase in terms of "experiencing the difference" but I think you're all going to see through that.

Oh well, it's only money, I can make more.
I honestly think chain is the way to go. If you look at race engines the preference in timing systems goes pnuematic, gear drive, chain drive, belt drive.

The pnuematic is simply down to harmonics but the others are to do with reliability.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I honestly think chain is the way to go. If you look at race engines the preference in timing systems goes pnuematic, gear drive, chain drive, belt drive.

The pnuematic is simply down to harmonics but the others are to do with reliability.

Yep, just look at the service intervals on engines that run timing belts to timing chains. Belts are usually 100-150k and chains are life of the vehicle or until an issue (poor running or if you snap it, munted engine ).

Engines don't produce the kind of "on/off/on" torque that a mountain biker does on a trail ride however, so I'm not sure how much of a comparison can be drawn.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
WHAT!?!?

Thought he was just the lev dude. Would’ve gone straight to the source rather than MTB direct

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Rode the You Yangs shuttles today. Wild and wooly would be an understatement but fun.
Slush, stacks and traffic galore.

Also found the holy grail saddle for my ass. Bought an Ergon and it is the most comfortable and easy to manouver around saddle Ive ridden.

@SpikeX Not afraid of a bit of rain are you?
Our bums must be similar. I too bought an Ergon and my bum hasn't been happier:)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yep, just look at the service intervals on engines that run timing belts to timing chains. Belts are usually 100-150k and chains are life of the vehicle or until an issue (poor running or if you snap it, munted engine ).

Engines don't produce the kind of "on/off/on" torque that a mountain biker does on a trail ride however, so I'm not sure how much of a comparison can be drawn.
Huh? Are you telling me my SDV6 can't produce 600nm at a flick of my ankle? Those lying Land Rover salesmen.