What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Installed my $155 Brand X 150mm dropper on the hardtail/kiddy hauler. What an amazing bit of kit for the money. Smooth, good speed, not clunk at the top. wow. Yes, i know i am late to the party but now you can buy them from MTB direct with another brand for double the money.
It's funny, but during todays ride, I was thinking about 150mm droppers.

All of our bikes have 100mm, so was thinking I might get a 150mm for my Wife's Stumpjumper, so she's a bit more game in the steep rough stuff.

Is 150 a big improvement over 100?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I fitted a 100mm to the hard tail after running 150 on the dually for ages.

Regret not going to at least 125, 100 feels barely worth it in comparison.

I was stuck for options with a 27.2 seat tube which is how I ended up with 100.

The good thing about a longer dropper is you can slam it over really techy stuff, but just drop half way when you're descending something flowy.

slowmick

38-39"
I run 125 on my dually and it seem fine for most situations. I have only dropped the post into the frame to ride international at Mt Buller as it scared me at speed. I got the 150 for the hardtail as you need to use your legs as rear suspension and it makes it easier to get on and stop with my daughter on board. The 170mm would have just fit with the kiddy seat but i wasn't paying the extra $70 for the privilege.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went for a ride yesterday and today trying out my new riding clobber, IXS knee/elbow pads and a Fox Proframe helmet. Surprisingly comfortable all round, it was in the cool of the morning though. Did a few little jumps and decided I probably need some coaching/lessons to sort my technique out. Sometimes I went ok, but others I was all untidy and out of control in the landings etc but at least didn’t stack it (yet). Still very stoked with the new bike !

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt

All of our bikes have 100mm, so was thinking I might get a 150mm for my Wife's Stumpjumper, so she's a bit more game in the steep rough stuff.

I previously had a couple at 125mm and never really felt the need for anything more. It’s well and truly out of the way.

Got 170mm on my new bike. It does make the bike feel very low and small, you feel like you have lots of room to move about the cockpit and really tip it over in turns.

The extra drop is an improvement but it’s no revolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn

I'm with Smitho. How tall is your wife to start with? I ride with a 125mm and it puts everything out of the way. My wife rides 100mm. Extra drop isn't going to build confidence, I'd be working on skills. It's more a mental thing. We tend to stop and session features that she struggles with which makes a much bigger difference I believe.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dropped the car in for a service to decided to ride home. First kind of commute in ages.

But seems holidays and daytime riding dont agree with me, I'm usually a very early morning rider. After my stack on Monday afternoon, grazes were feeling good until I decided to stop off at the local dirt jumps on the way home. Stacked again onto the same side :(
Two rides, two stacks so far on my holidays. Might have to put the bike away for a bit! These things come in threes right?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dropped the car in for a service to decided to ride home. First kind of commute in ages.

But seems holidays and daytime riding dont agree with me, I'm usually a very early morning rider. After my stack on Monday afternoon, grazes were feeling good until I decided to stop off at the local dirt jumps on the way home. Stacked again onto the same side :(
Two rides, two stacks so far on my holidays. Might have to put the bike away for a bit! These things come in threes right?
Third one is the bill from the mechanics

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Had a fun ride at Eumeralla yesterday before it got too hot. I think I've munted my rear hub. With any luck, it just needs a new axle and bearings. I'll take it to the LBS later today and see what they think.

pliskin

Likes Dirt
bought new tyre sealant, ready to do the tubeless conversion, got home from bike shop, then found out i need a new attachment for the avid bleed kit..
:(

jez86

Squid
Bought and installed new grips, Deity Knuckle dusters. 20km jaunt around some locals and so far so good, fair bit softer than the original spec kit.

After a late arvo/early evening trip home last week via a fairly busy unlit road, I bought lights as well.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hit up Harcourt again and took the time to start with trail 8. Damn that's a fun and challenging trail. The whole crew loved it and then got drenched as we rode the other side

Trail 2 still delivers though, wicked fun!

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got news that my mates old man who stacked it riding with us this morning has a fractured ankle for his efforts. Series of slippery tree roots after a decent deluge made for a sketchy section of trail.

Bugger!