What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
One of the most enjoyable rides I’ve had recently - the dropper post has turned this TBc into a tiny little playful thing...twitchy & FUN!
Good one, time was a bit tighter than I hoped today so could only fit in 2 laps of Wylde. It was busy there today.

The Trc is very entertaining and just loves corners and last second changes of direction. Loosing front traction at the wrong time is in my mind :| Still dialing in the suspension settings before I plan to leave it alone and just ride.

Dropper, hey.....

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Photos of a real povo build. Building this for the new girlfriend, I might ride it a bit too.

$25 buck frame, manitou r7 forks, one halo wheel, one mavic wheel. Some of my 2x10 sram parts for now until I can find some more budget friendly bits.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Did an early arvo lap of Lysty. Beautiful day out, the track was dry, but still grippy, and it was ace, except. I reckon I saw 10 ebikes. They are like navels. All ridden by youngsters. We were passed 5 times today in the climbs. We got to the top car park and Sue asked if we were off the pace. I told her that nearly all of them were ebikes. She just thought they were really fit. First group of passerers was an xc whippet and his two mates on ebikes. The second group was two guys in their twenties on ebikes. After passing us once, they stopped at a fireroad, presumably to let their ebatteries cool down, and then as soon as we went by, they started again so later we had to stop and let them through again, effing dickwads. They are fucking the trails, the flow for actual mountain bikers and the rider connectedness. Pre ebikes, everyone earned the descent, by doing the climb. Everyone felt the pain and enjoyed the gain. Now, these num nuts, fly up the hills, like they are not hills, can’t look you in the eye, don’t say hello, don’t apologize for making you track to the side in a climb, while they fuck off into the distance. They are a scourge.

Minlak

custom titis
Did an early arvo lap of Lysty. Beautiful day out, the track was dry, but still grippy, and it was ace, except. I reckon I saw 10 ebikes. They are like navels. All ridden by youngsters. We were passed 5 times today in the climbs. We got to the top car park and Sue asked if we were off the pace. I told her that nearly all of them were ebikes. She just thought they were really fit. First group of passerers was an xc whippet and his two mates on ebikes. The second group was two guys in their twenties on ebikes. After passing us once, they stopped at a fireroad, presumably to let their ebatteries cool down, and then as soon as we went by, they started again so later we had to stop and let them through again, effing dickwads. They are fucking the trails, the flow for actual mountain bikers and the rider connectedness. Pre ebikes, everyone earned the descent, by doing the climb. Everyone felt the pain and enjoyed the gain. Now, these num nuts, fly up the hills, like they are not hills, can’t look you in the eye, don’t say hello, don’t apologize for making you track to the side in a climb, while they fuck off into the distance. They are a scourge.
Whilst I understand what you are saying it’s not just the e-bike causing this. I recently went to two areas that are much more popular than my local trails (more people) and cane away shaking my head at the lack of civility and etiquette. There wasn’t a single e-bike amongst them. I think the bigger issue is the popularity of being able to say “I am a Mountain Biker” has led to a population explosion in the sport in general.
Most of the time when I read about how bad e-bikes are it’s always accompanied by being consistently passed by them. I’m not sure that there isn’t a little competitive pride skewing the attitude of non e-bike riders.
People already have judged the rider by the bike.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I’m not sure that there isn’t a little competitive pride skewing the attitude of non e-bike riders.
Competitive pride... ha ha... I’m 62 years old, I’m pretty comfortable and very familiar with being passed. The last guy who passed us was an older xc whippet, and he happily said hello, and mentioned how beautiful a day it was. It was cool how quick he going.

Minlak

custom titis
Competitive pride... ha ha... I’m 62 years old, I’m pretty comfortable and very familiar with being passed. The last guy who passed us was an older xc whippet, and he happily said hello, and mentioned how beautiful a day it was. It was cool how quick he going.
Lol I know it sounded generalised but wasn’t aimed at you and everyone just a theme I see through most people’s issues with e e-bikes.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
What's the etiquette where a faster rider comes up behind on a climb in non-race situations? I've always gone by the "pull up where it's safe and convenient to do so" which doesn't include stopping on a hill where it's hard to get going again or fucks the climb for you. My thinking is it's easier for the quicker rider to adjust to a slower tempo than the weaker rider get going again on a steep hill.

The last year all my riding has been on busier trails with my 6 year old, either just the two of us or in a big organised junior ride. Given the slow pace we always pull over to let people through but it's inevitable that you hold other riders up a bit. 98% of riders are happy to patiently wait till we clear the track. There's quite a few e-mtbers where I ride and they're usually fine; the 2% seem to be Strava heroes cracking it because their times are being ruined.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Found a set of pikes for a mate that had been reduced to 130mm, seemed in pretty decent condition. I pulled them down to extend them back out to 160 and found a mark that looks like someone's had at them with a bloody hacksaw!

Pretty peevy but buyer beware I guess. Finally get a chance to try the nail polish trick, seems to work better than I thought it would...

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Found a set of pikes for a mate that had been reduced to 130mm, seemed in pretty decent condition. I pulled them down to extend them back out to 160 and found a mark that looks like someone's had at them with a bloody hacksaw!

Pretty peevy but buyer beware I guess. Finally get a chance to try the nail polish trick, seems to work better than I thought it would...

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Well done for the repair. Shit happens, it’s how you deal with it

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hear you on trail etiquette. I will pull over when facing traffic coming the other way on a two way trail, and the amount of times I get a thanks or even Hi to acknowledge I've waited for them makes me question how folks are raised.

Most of the time people just expect you to get out of their way.
Of course I make a point of highlighting their social failings by saying, "please, don't mention it, you're more than welcome".

The first smart arse with a snide response is going on the evening news. Lead story "mountain biker with seat post stuck up his ..."

Ebikes I have no problem with generally, however it's difficult to tell the genuinely needy from the unfit / lazy. I try not to judge.
I just wish them well when the time comes to sell them.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Faffed around with my dropper. Bike Yoke Revive had developed a touch of drop about 10mm or so it would sag down every time you loaded it. Can’t find my manual so I started scratching my head and then jumped onto MTBR only to find a thread where one of the manufacturers staff keep a handy hints, tips and trouble shooting guide.

Didn’t really need anything fancy in the end, just use the reset function and repressurize.
Cleaned the seat rails and adjusted saddle position a little while I was at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Firstly the best day of riding for me. My wife, my 13 year old Son, 11 year old daughter and I raced in a team at the rare cancers ride at twin fall cottages in Fitzroy falls. My wife completed 2 laps and the rest of us did 4 each over the 5 hours. The youngest -6 - looked after the shade tent area and rode her bike around. Really proud of all of them and a tops family day. We finished 26/32 in our class, which was helped by my son keeping our average lap times down...

The bad bit Scots college bought 120 riders, off track they were well behaved. On track however their etiquette was horrible. Just like above a couldn’t tell you how many times I spoke to riders about yelling track and not communicating with any thoughts for other riders. In the end I went and spoke to several of their teacher / outdoor educators and told them politely how to communicate when mountain biking. Turns out the outdoor educators had been teaching them shouting Track was exceptable. He did say other riders had also spoken about it, so hopefully the learn some real race mtb manners.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
First ride of new Michie Wild Enduro Front at Stromlo - this tyre is so sticky when new my shins were being sandblasted from all the sand being picked up!

Clearly a bit sleep deprived and distracted - was over an hour into the ride before I realised my fork was still mostly locked out...

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Another beautiful day. Just before dusk, we urbaned our way to our local trail, and did our usual loop. The light was spectacular.

slowmick

38-39"
Quick lap with my daughter yesterday afternoon sampling the local park. Lysterfield this morning for his maiden ride of his new bike. tootled around the trails avoiding the tracks closed for the race. So many people but still lots of fun.

The bit that surprised me about the e-bikers at Lysterfield is that the majority are seriously fit looking people who want to hammer the trails they floy past up hill, downhill and on the flat. They need to make some sort of noise so that you can hear them coming. By the time you hear the tyres you're about o get mowed down.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Went to Forrest with The Boy on Saturday to do Red Carpet. Found that pedalling up Kaanglang Rd is much easier than going up Barlidjaru with all those horrible steep bits. We did a full run, then rode part way up to do the bottom section again. Holy crap it's so much fun with all the new work they've done!

I was done by then, so I shuttled The Boy up to the top so he could have one more full run.

Unfortunately we didn't encounter any e-bikers to complain about.