What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Two days of this (Falls Creek) was pretty damn fine.
20181201_124716-A.jpg

Took precisely zero pictures of either myself or mates while riding because we were too busy riding to remember. Rode (including shuttles and brief lunch obviously) from 9am-3pm Saturday, 10am-4pm Sunday and don't think we waited more than 5 minutes for a shuttle pickup more than once. Sunday morning there was some storms in the early morning which made for a slippery opening couple of runs, but "hero dirt" in the mid afternoon. So anyway - I'm am pretty well stuffed, but very happy.

Only negatives were vague signage around the top half of the mountain (trying to work out how tracks link together is a nightmare), and personally I found the stuff up the top half of the mountain verging on being too rocky for the 5010 (low BB and 175mm cranks proved to be an awkward combination), but the lower half of the mountain in Flowtown was awesome and ended up being what we mostly rode.

The upper third of the trail is still pretty rocky and chattery but was fine once I adjusted to it, got the suspension dialled and could just commit to a corner and wait for the front to hook up with me hanging as far forward as possible and the back end still slightly sliding around. The downhill bit in the middle section of the trail (between the two main "uphill" sections) is flowing crazy smooth and fast right now. After a couple of runs I found myself gaining heaps of confidence and going accidentally so much quicker I had to start taking rollers as proper doubles to not find myself landing on takeoffs - But what a speed rush! You get awful close to those trees when pumping and jumping along there and had to pull the shoulder in a couple of times, but avoided disaster luckily! And then the lower section's 'rollercoaster' undulations and gradual bends were just about the best thing I've ever ridden and felt like they were custom built for the 5010. Just pump, pump, pump, pump and GO!!! The amount of speed you can build without pedalling through there is insane - holy sh#t it was fast and fun!

After all was said and done - Post ride, post bike wash, rancho relaxo...
20181201_160010-A.jpg

(Apologies for the essay - I'm way overtired but equally overjoyed!) :)

Attachments

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Two days of this (Falls Creek) was pretty damn fine.
View attachment 349383

Took precisely zero pictures of either myself or mates while riding because we were too busy riding to remember. Rode (including shuttles and brief lunch obviously) from 9am-3pm Saturday, 10am-4pm Sunday and don't think we waited more than 5 minutes for a shuttle pickup more than once. Sunday morning there was some storms in the early morning which made for a slippery opening couple of runs, but "hero dirt" in the mid afternoon. So anyway - I'm am pretty well stuffed, but very happy.

Only negatives were vague signage around the top half of the mountain (trying to work out how tracks link together is a nightmare), and personally I found the stuff up the top half of the mountain verging on being too rocky for the 5010 (low BB and 175mm cranks proved to be an awkward combination), but the lower half of the mountain in Flowtown was awesome and ended up being what we mostly rode.

The upper third of the trail is still pretty rocky and chattery but was fine once I adjusted to it, got the suspension dialled and could just commit to a corner and wait for the front to hook up with me hanging as far forward as possible and the back end still slightly sliding around. The downhill bit in the middle section of the trail (between the two main "uphill" sections) is flowing crazy smooth and fast right now. After a couple of runs I found myself gaining heaps of confidence and going accidentally so much quicker I had to start taking rollers as proper doubles to not find myself landing on takeoffs - But what a speed rush! You get awful close to those trees when pumping and jumping along there and had to pull the shoulder in a couple of times, but avoided disaster luckily! And then the lower section's 'rollercoaster' undulations and gradual bends were just about the best thing I've ever ridden and felt like they were custom built for the 5010. Just pump, pump, pump, pump and GO!!! The amount of speed you can build without pedalling through there is insane - holy sh#t it was fast and fun!

After all was said and done - Post ride, post bike wash, rancho relaxo...
View attachment 349386

(Apologies for the essay - I'm way overtired but equally overjoyed!) :)
Nice! I love Falls but from memory High Voltage felt more like a black than a blue, but still a ton of fun. I really like the stuff on the other side that starts from the top of the ski runs and finishes down at the Hoot pub. Have only been up there once since Flow Town was built and I wasn't shuttling so I only did it once, in the pouring rain so I'm keen to head back for a shuttle day.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Nice! I love Falls but from memory High Voltage felt more like a black than a blue, but still a ton of fun. I really like the stuff on the other side that starts from the top of the ski runs and finishes down at the Hoot pub. Have only been up there once since Flow Town was built and I wasn't shuttling so I only did it once, in the pouring rain so I'm keen to head back for a shuttle day.
High Voltage is graded as a Black run these days, but it wasn't the bit that bothered me. It was the continuation of the trail called Wishing Well (Blue run), that was giving me grief. Lots of short sharp pinch climbs over exposed rock crests just saw me getting tangled. Yes, my climbing skills could be a lot better but I rode it last year in torrential rain without major issue (still tangled a couple of times) so it surprised me a bit I got hung up so much this time.

Worth noting I mostly love flow descents whereas other love techy bits, so horses for courses and all that!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Falls is ace. It was a while ago now, but we were climbing near the main lifty bit and got chatting with a parks guy who worked on the trails. He told us where to go for a pickup to the top. He dropped us at High Voltage which was where my wife really bonded with her stumpjumper. She was freaking at the start, but to her surprise got through a few bits and then she was away. Still, plenty of bits got walked by both of us, as we's old, and just want to ride as long as possible. But yeah how good is flowtown. Just amazing, for ages and ages, the entire way down is ace. Then there he was, ready for the pickup and delivery back to the car. One perfect day...

Falls.JPG

Last edited:

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting! Last time I rode High Voltage it was a blue. I've busted a rear carbon rim with a good rock strike at the bottom of Wishing Well. It was on our honeymoon too. My wife also gained a ton of confidence after a few days riding up there. The rocks got to her on the first day but soon she was smashing right through them.

I've gotta get her back up there as it's been nearly a year off the bike for her while she's been focusing on running.

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
Last night I was bored, I have had a creak in my headset for a few rides now and I finally couldn't take it anymore (Renthal Far Bar Lite and Apex Stem).

Pulled it all apart incl. dropped fork, inspected bearings etc, grease, reassembled, found star nut in steerer a bit off centre (used a spark plug socket and tapped it straight, tightened top cap gently just to pre load with hardly any torque at all, did up stem bolts 5.5nm, took for ride around block popping wheelies and manuals everywhere, no more creak thus far.

Winner.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
CDB82573-A598-43F5-BFD1-F608CA13534E.jpeg
Oh no, it’s tomorrow already. This morning at Forrest before the heat we rode up Barlidjaru trail towards Lake Elizabeth, then down Red Carpet. Awesome fun, some berms near the bottom, are either new or I’ve forgotten about them, what were we talking about? The rest of the day was great too, brewery lunch, Beauchamp Falls, seafood at the Apollo Bay pier, open fire, kick footy, beer, shiraz, etc.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Oh no, it’s tomorrow already. This morning at Forrest before the heat we rode up Barlidjaru trail towards Lake Elizabeth, then down Red Carpet. Awesome fun, some berms near the bottom, are either new or I’ve forgotten about them, what were we talking about? The rest of the day was great too, brewery lunch, Beauchamp Falls, seafood at the Apollo Bay pier, open fire, kick footy, beer, shiraz, etc.
Red Carpet is the best. That climb is a bitch, though. I need to figure out how to shuttle it some time.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
It's shit to the power of shit, but get used to it @moorey.

If this is what's now happening to sub-tropical rainforest, who knows what'll happen in your neck of the woods :oops:

I'm enjoying the RNP now, the next fire through here will be a doozie...

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Today our ride plans went awry and we started at Yo Yo, nice to ride something different, but can see why it’s not the busiest. In the end we made it across to Marina’s, which for the first time I rode the main berms without touching the brakes. Awesomerer. Hot day though, even early on. Brewery lunch, pack up camp, drove the dirt to Lorne, had a swim and headed home.