What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Been doing exactly the same, with the same conclusion. They look THE Shiz if they do come in boost.

@Ackland small roots and small rocks are my local staple, I've read the Formula mucketing, how supple in the first couple centimeters are they in the real world?
The best attribute of formula forks for me when I do a 24hr is indeed that initial stroke smoothness.
They are also infinitely tuneable.
I run 30% sag at 120mm travel and then take out 5PSI. I then add an extra 5ml fluid into the air chamber to increase the ramp up to prevent bottoming out.

I haven't gotten into their drop in compression circuits or neopos spacers yet because I'm waiting for their boost xc fork.

If a new 33 doesn't turn up soon, I'll seriously consider a Selva and take the 200gm weight hit.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went for a short ride on Thursday and had the most sudden, unexpected stack I can remember ! Changed my combo of trails adding one I have ridden before but not since last year. A seemingly innocuous slight bend, singletrack weaving through small trees where you have to wiggle the bars to avoid clipping trees. Recent rains had dried off on the surface of the leaf litter but my front wheel washed out on a patch that was wet and slimy underneath. It was like someone kicked the front out from underneath me, normally I’ll get to dab a foot down or do a commando roll. This time I got thrown to the ground landing in a push up position, a little winded and hands sore from slapping the ground, but more shocked than sore. I’ve gotten used to the 2.5” DHF having pretty awesome grip on everything I’ve thrown it at so far, got a rude shock there.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
The best attribute of formula forks for me when I do a 24hr is indeed that initial stroke smoothness.
They are also infinitely tuneable.
I run 30% sag at 120mm travel and then take out 5PSI. I then add an extra 5ml fluid into the air chamber to increase the ramp up to prevent bottoming out.

I haven't gotten into their drop in compression circuits or neopos spacers yet because I'm waiting for their boost xc fork.

If a new 33 doesn't turn up soon, I'll seriously consider a Selva and take the 200gm weight hit.
It's only 200g? For a flat-lander like me that's almost unnoticeable. I'm looking at the start of next year for a new fork, hopefully they have boost 33s by then.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Where was this subzero ride?
Stromlo, was -0.7 when I left home on the bike. The sun got up and blazed in usual Canberra fashion, but was still glad I had the cute little toe covers on.

Was also glad I took the normal gloves in my pack, those winter gloves kept me really toasty on the climb but they aren't much chop compared to a thin Pearl Izumi on the downs and I didn't do the tech bits on the climb I usually do. Blaming the gloves, not the beers, and kidding myself.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Waited for the rain to stop and rode my local, on dusk, home in the dark. I’d done a few changes to the new bike, so was keen to see the outcome. Had swapped the 34 chainring for a 30, and now have ‘normal for me’ gearing . Finally, I’m only on the two big rings for ultra steep pinches, and now I’m down in the middle rings for the most of it, and it feels great, has better incremental shifts, and is generally vastly improved. I have lost a bit of top speed, but yeah, whatever, I’m old and not trying to be at the front of anything. The seatpost had been sticking for the last bit of travel, and slickoleum did the trick, so now any seat elevation on demand. Kev also got new SPDs too. I also used the climb switch for the long grind up out of the valley on the way home, and that definitely helps. Anyway, it is starting to feel more like my bike. Regardless, it was great to get out.

BTW, these sheep need dagging bigtime.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Nice. Liking the DL153 @Lazmo? Felix loves his. Really short chain stays totally suit his riding.
Yeah, I’m liking the new bike, a lot. To tell you the truth, I had major buyers remorse almost immediately after purchase, mainly about its inertia and slow climbing, as I felt way over-biked compared to my stumpy. But a kg of treacle and drag removal, and now getting the gearing right, the bike is starting to come together as a whole package. The going down side of it is amazing. Unbelievable really. I just love the front end. I know the Yari is not the top of the range bizzo, but compared with what I’ve been riding, it tracks exactly where I want it to go. Regarding Felix and short chain stays, my guess is he’s actually capitalising on their goodness, while I can only enjoy my hopeless old man version of popping off tiny ledges and drops. But I do enjoy it, as the bike is very playful and more hooligan, much more like my cotic bfe, than my stumpy, in that regard. Mine does have the concrete POS boat anchor cassette that is the NX, and it is my next target for improvement. I didn’t know it was a HG driver when I bought it, so that was a bit of a post purchase surprise and a thing I had to work through. It shifts well, but weighs 630g, which as rotating, unsprung weight is just a complete crock of shjt… it just has to go. I have a ztto lightweight cassette on the way, which I hope will get me back to where it should be. Anyway, it is great to have a new bike, and I’m loving it.

moorey

call me Mia
Sweet. Frame was only a few hundred grams heavier than his previous bike, so not a huge jump for Felix.
I had read it isn’t the greatest climber, so I asked Felix how it was, and he disagrees. That said, he’s a mini Clydesdale, and climbs everything in 3 gears higher than me.
That also said, he’s a descender at heart. Runs hope DHtech rims and 2.4/2.5 minions even though he opts for this bike on our XC days with 1000 of climbing over 30-35km.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
It's got a larger cassette now and a longer dropper and it (was) vaguely clean, so I took a sneaky photo prior to a Youies excursion today..

Fair bit dirtier now but getting extremely stoked I seem to have dialled it in properly (taken a bit). The 11-46 cassette on there now might weigh as much as a Nissan Micra but it's so much easier to grind out those fireroad climbs. 175mm dropper is rad too, who knew an extra inch would make so much difference (hur)

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Race Day. 1°C. :eek:

Little Sender and Middle Brother earned their first race plates. By pure coincidence they're in sequence with mine :D

Little Sender even won a prize. It was just a random draw for Junior D grade, but he thought he'd won the race.

Had to burst his bubble a bit before he told the whole school assembly in the morning. We told him it was an encouragement award for crashing into a tree but trucking on afterwards.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I had read it isn’t the greatest climber, so I asked Felix how it was, and he disagrees. That said, he’s a mini Clydesdale, and climbs everything in 3 gears higher than me.
I have changed my tune from when I initially got it, and I now agree with Felix about the climbing. Tubelessness, tyres and a smaller chainring has transformed the rolling and climbing of the bike. Today at Candlebark, with the new 30 tooth chainring I easily cleared two pinches that I walked last week. Unlike Felix, I cannot crank in the climbs, because of knee and hip reco’s, so it has to be spin for me. And now I’ve got the gearing right, I’m set.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Race Day. 1°C. :eek:

Little Sender and Middle Brother earned their first race plates. By pure coincidence they're in sequence with mine :D

View attachment 353988

Little Sender even won a prize. It was just a random draw for Junior D grade, but he thought he'd won the race.

View attachment 353989

Had to burst his bubble a bit before he told the whole school assembly in the morning. We told him it was an encouragement award for crashing into a tree but trucking on afterwards.
A good number of punters hit a tree on that particular track... he's in excellent company.