What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President

Thanks to @Litenbror I was able to get a new brake hose and finish off the internal routing (which wasn't that bad once I realised I could take off fork and guide cables from there).

Still a bunch to do, and wheels still not here.. but at least I've got some of it together now!

PYR to follow

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
View attachment 357923

Thanks to @Litenbror I was able to get a new brake cable and finish off the internal routing (which wasn't that bad once I realised I could take off fork and guide cables from there).

Still a bunch to do, and wheels still not here.. but at least I've got some of it together now!

PYR to follow
That's a very neat garage @droenn. You're not trying hard enough if there isn't a carpet of cut cable ties and three hammers in the shot.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Ordered what I thought were the final parts needed to get the old Specialized XC hardtail going again (long story short: sold it to The Boy's mate, The Boy bought it back off him and fixed it up, then the back wheel shit itself so it's been sitting at home for a couple of years).

"Wait...where are the pedals?"

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Approved my MTB frame design through Waltly:

Design process was a lot quicker than I expected. China is only 3 hours behind our timezone at the moment which meant lots of overlapping hours for bouncing e-mails back and forth, and communication (even of technical elements like plate vs tube chainstay, cable guide placement, tube profiles, seat post inner diameter and cable port placement for dropper posts) was quite easy to get sorted. I will say knowing exactly what you I want in regards to geometry before you start the process makes things much simpler - trying to chop and change dimensions after the initial design is drawn would be quite time consuming. Also, if you can't read a technical drawing it would be a somewhat risky process as dimensions may not be what you were chasing. Notably the first draft seemed like a tweaked generic drawing (and several of the dimensions were off by considerable margins, such as chainstays drawn up 7mm longer), but I gave them a list of changes needing to be made to the design and 99% of them were sorted on the second revision, which only took one extra day. Assuming the frame turns up to spec and in a reasonable timeframe, I wouldn't hestitate to go through the process again - just giving a heads up on some of the hurdles involved for those that struggle to read tech drawings or may still be deciding on geo.

Design is intended more as a trail/all mountain hardtail than anything too wild, so numbers are pretty conservative. There'll be a PYR when it arrives. (Which should take about 35-45 days)

Last edited:

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Rode my new 2020 Sight 29er C2 this morning. Destroys decents. Pedals like a big tyred bike.

485 reach for me at 175cm was bloody fantastic. 60mm longer than last bike but ultimately 35mm longer when stem is included and I reckon I could go longer in the stem. Took one corner to realise it fits me better than any MTB before. First ride it nailed every drop, jump and rock garden like I had been on it for years. Tight switchbacks were fine.

Still some tweaking to do on dials of suspension but as it is now I would happily roll up to a race tomorrow and know it wouldn't let me down.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
any reason for the curved top tube? my 2 mates with SS versions are really happy with theirs
Largely aesthetic, theoretically slightly more compliant, and (it's a weird habit but...) with steeper bikes I sometimes like to lean the TT on the inside of my leg when cornering with the bike leaned over for a little extra stabilty, so the slightly higher TT feels more natural for that. Some of the really low top-tube bike make me feel like I'm missing a point of contact when on flow trails.

It will suck if I get stuck trying to climb any decent step-up though!

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
Hipstar I’ve found that if you take your shots in portrait mode then the pics will load up in the correct orientation.

Nice forks!
They all show up correct for me!

Must be iphones that see it wrong

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Them too.

You're all wrong, android is right.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Haha I'm Android and it's sideways.

I'm on the hunt for a bike to hit the Nerang trails. After years of on and off road biking and slowly building a '93 hardtail the yearn for a modernish dual sus bike has bitten and bitten hard. Spend hours looking at bike stuff but the small budget means I need a cracking deal on probably a 2010ish vintage.