What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

moorey

call me Mia
Rode Maydena. Not sure how I feel about it. Is massively taxing on bike and body. Yeah I'm super unfit but 3 runs (mostly blue/green and a couple of blacks) felt like a full weekend of DH racing.

1.5 runs in and my brakes started howling. Rotors were blue with heat and pads glazed. Brakes never really recovered which screwed my final runs unfortunately.

The metallic pads in the rear definitely didn't like the heat and are toast. Had a couple of big stacks which I survived which was good.

Will definitely have to sort my braking issues and have another crack. Surely XT single potters can survive a day even with my 120 keggers on board
FWIW, I ride 2 pot XT on the bike I took, so does Felix. (Even my DH bike runs m785’s)
We were there for 3 days, including race days, getting as many runs as we could in.
We both run the discount Shimano pads I told you about, with 203/180 rotors (ice tech).
Felix rides hard, me less so with a lot of braking, but neither of us had brake issues, even on multiple 18-20 minute descents in a row from top to bottom (that was stage 1 at the Nationals in November)
My only suggestion is that you’re dragging the brakes too much, and yes, your weight will factor in.
If you’re unsure about those sorts of tracks...and yes, they’re gnarly at times, and frequently scared the shit outta me, you will be braking excessively.

I’m a shadow of the rider I used to be (ok, I wasn’t even much then), but like @Boom King, the tracks blew me away, and can’t wait to get back.

slowmick

38-39"
It's the 120 kg that makes it hard work for the XTs. Tis the reason i am gathering bits to fit the saints to my bike for NZ. Can turn the oil black and the rotors blue in a weekend at Buller with the lift running.

slowmick

38-39"
Got out for a predawn pedal this morning. Very eerie - much quieter than usual. Lots of bike track riding with minimal dirt roads to link them together. Did my best to stay out of the parks. Not a day to be near gum trees - the heat and the wind will have limbs dropping off left right and centre.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Stuck the bike up on the stand to inspect yesterday's damage after Maydena.

Brakes are ok though have some how contaminated the front pads after bleeding them. See separate post in fuckwits.

Rear wheel is a mess though, two broken spokes and a decent wobble.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Rode Maydena. Not sure how I feel about it. Is massively taxing on bike and body. Yeah I'm super unfit but 3 runs (mostly blue/green and a couple of blacks) felt like a full weekend of DH racing.

1.5 runs in and my brakes started howling. Rotors were blue with heat and pads glazed. Brakes never really recovered which screwed my final runs unfortunately.

The metallic pads in the rear definitely didn't like the heat and are toast. Had a couple of big stacks which I survived which was good.

Will definitely have to sort my braking issues and have another crack. Surely XT single potters can survive a day even with my 120 keggers on board
It's your weight. A few guys I knew in Perth visited and basically all ended up with 8" rotors and four pots front and back (and some still struggled). I upped my brakes from 180mm front/back to 203/180mm with four pots (for my move back to Tassie) and found dragging the ass on one of the downhill runs at Tolosa started reducing the power in the brake. I'm over 30kg lighter than you as well... Mine only have shitty resin pads though.

It's interesting feedback you and Daniel Hale regarding Maydena, you aren't the first to say it half screwed their bike and they felt overwhelmed. I've not even bothered venturing there yet, I'm not fit and the arm pump would make the day miserable for me. I also feel I'd want to swap pads before going there.

nathanm

Eats Squid
It's your weight. A few guys I knew in Perth visited and basically all ended up with 8" rotors and four pots front and back (and some still struggled). I upped my brakes from 180mm front/back to 203/180mm with four pots (for my move back to Tassie) and found dragging the ass on one of the downhill runs at Tolosa started reducing the power in the brake. I'm over 30kg lighter than you as well... Mine only have shitty resin pads though.

It's interesting feedback you and Daniel Hale regarding Maydena, you aren't the first to say it half screwed their bike and they felt overwhelmed. I've not even bothered venturing there yet, I'm not fit and the arm pump would make the day miserable for me. I also feel I'd want to swap pads before going there.
Yeah everyone had discolored rotors at the end of the runs and for me I'm pulling up the weight of nearly 2x blokes. The XT brakes coped admirably and even when glazed still had bite and pulled me up, where just crazy noisy.

Had a good analysis over night and as mentioned it's a downhill park and every run is like doing 3 DH race runs. The biggest issue is had is the tracks are unrelenting descents. You rarely get a chance to rest and your braking is almost always 100% as you're just struggling to pull up.

It's a fantastic place but you need to be equipped for it. Brakes and wheels definitely suffer and full armour is advisable

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Was actually yesterday, but the video ready today.

Most Melbourne riders would have ridden this one at some point.

That was sick dude! I was inspired by your driveway wheelie and the other post on that thread about wheelying any bike so I grabbed the nearest one while in the garage.

Gave it 30 mins in the cul-de-sac and focused on balance point and brake feathering. Pulled about 15m on the longest one but it had a very slight uphill gradient which did most of the brake work, did a tiny rub once. I need to translate what gravity does to stop me tipping over going uphill into rear brake feathering on flat and down.

I loved that you stopped and scoped those features. Definitely need to do more of that.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That was sick dude! I was inspired by your driveway wheelie and the other post on that thread about wheelying any bike so I grabbed the nearest one while in the garage.

View attachment 358440

Gave it 30 mins in the cul-de-sac and focused on balance point and brake feathering. Pulled about 15m on the longest one but it had a very slight uphill gradient which did most of the brake work, did a tiny rub once. I need to translate what gravity does to stop me tipping over going uphill into rear brake feathering on flat and down.

I loved that you stopped and scoped those features. Definitely need to do more of that.
Nice work, all it takes is a lot of practice :). Then one day it will all just click and away you go.
slight uphill definitely best for practice, then move on to flat then down. Fire trails between fun trails are a great spot to practice :)