What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Who would thought it. All the ebikers say it's no different than a 10 kg xc bike.
Got a mate who is building a 12kw bike, he doesn't do off road though
the original post suggested that he saw half the bikes were ebikes causing the damage to the tracks, but you choose to ignore the fact that the other half are still regular bikes out there causing similar damage...why so much hate?...dont like them, don't buy one.......its not like there road bikes!

safreek

why so much hate?...dont like them, don't buy one.......its not like there road bikes!
Didn't realise that what I wrote came across as hate, just stating the obvious.
If a 20 or 25 kg electro bike is making 10 runs too a human powered bikes 5 runs it seems obvious that they will do more damage.
A 20 kg bike would probably have to be pushed up so 5 runs is probably fantasy.
Peace out dude, I don't really hate ebike, just more runs equal more damage.
Now 29r ebike, that's just true Satan's work and worthy of the worlds hatred :)
Rather my child on a roadie than a 29r. Oh the shame:eek:

Last edited:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Nice ride at the local tonight...

I'm still suffering from the Lysty head on, with my left shoulder, left elbow and right hip still pretty sore, so slacked off and didn't even urban to the trails, just put the bike on the car and drove there... ha ha.

Noice.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
the original post suggested that he saw half the bikes were ebikes causing the damage to the tracks, but you choose to ignore the fact that the other half are still regular bikes out there causing similar damage...why so much hate?...dont like them, don't buy one.......its not like there road bikes!
my point is the ebike s did appear to be doing more damage, they were bombing s short section fast, then braking hard & buzzing back up the wrong way,..the regular bikes were being pushed..

around macedon i wish the e-bikers were more considerate of the trail, it’s soft loam, they get up there in the wet, causing ruts like motorbikes, normal bikes other than DHbstruggle for grip when it’s real wet so u don’t see many, the ebike s have also increased amount of runs from 2-3 to near 10..the increased traffic is wearing the trail out faster, i’m guessing heavy bike/rider increases this

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Went for a mellow spin today, first for the year where the lack of smoke and cooler weather lined up.

It was a lesson in track knowledge. Today was the 7th time I've ridden Pork Barrel. My mate was pretty stoked recently when he beat me on it, he's been progressing really quick over the last 6 months and catching up with me on the downs.

I let him go first and gave a good distance after the tailgating incident last year with him. Gained a little ground on the run, felt relaxed, hung back. I think I was 70-80% knowing exactly where i wanted to go, had much more memory of the track in my head. Mate beat his time by 5 seconds, i beat mine by 17 and his by 3. I didn't feel like I was pushing too hard, conscious not to because it was a cruisy ride so didn't wear pads, and it's really baked slippery, so it was a bit of a surprise.

I went first down Double D, felt decent but it recorded early so I didn't get a time. Old mate was keeping up with me til he hit the doubles and axed himself. Pulled up ok.

Handlebar was open, Cranky's were had, another day in Stromlodise.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
my point is the ebike s did appear to be doing more damage, they were bombing s short section fast, then braking hard & buzzing back up the ring way,..the regular bikes were being pushed..

around macedon i wish the e-bikers were more considerate of the trail, it’s soft loam, they get up there in the wet, causing ruts like motorbikes, normal bikes other than DHbstruggle for grip when it’s real wet so u don’t see many, the ebike s have also increased amount of runs from 2-3 to near 10..the increased traffic is wearing the trail out faster, i’m guessing heavy bike/rider increases this
Absolutely ... Ebikes DO put out more power than an actual mountain biker, so they are faster and tear the trail up more... it’s not a difficult thing to grasp.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Bought a replacement Giant freehub body to keep my old Talon going.

Bought a pair of Nukeproof Horizon Pro Sam Hill pedals for my new bike (aiming for May purchase!)

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I bought a 108POE wheel to make the loose, techie, pinchy, tight, twistie climbs we do here easier...

slowmick

38-39"
Packed the bike in the car and headed to Dromana to try out the Red Hill Trails. Great network - highighted my lack of skills on technical terrain. Need to do at least a couple more trips before the Trans NZ - was totally out classed on Pins and Needles and Charlotte's Pass. Have lost the ability to see lines noodling at Lysterfield and in the Dandenongs.

The trails maps and markings are good and with a bit of help from Strava and Trail forks I managed to kill 4 hours down there. The sea breezes made for a pleasant morning.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Last year I helped convert a bicycle rider into a mountain biker. This morning I got another one, neighbour is a regular commuter, lake rides etc. He did really well on a loop of lower Stromlo and he wants to buy the old Avanti, first proper mtb trails on a full sus and he's hooked. "This is so good" :)

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Packed the bike in the car and headed to Dromana to try out the Red Hill Trails. Great network - highighted my lack of skills on technical terrain. Need to do at least a couple more trips before the Trans NZ - was totally out classed on Pins and Needles and Charlotte's Pass. Have lost the ability to see lines noodling at Lysterfield and in the Dandenongs.
.... rode tracks in NZ that made that tree rooty part of Pins and Needles near the bottom seem like a foot path..and the root sections went for hundreds of metres at a time. Its a steep learning curve but you dont have much choice...
find the most technical and steep tracks you can and ride them over and over, and in the wet...

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
got up to harcourt again after yesterday’s rain, tracks were mint, finally some grip up there after months of dry, the bumps on some tracks are getting big..the trails are wearing quickly in places where there are tight turns at the ends of berms,