What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

mtb1611

Seymour
Solo blast along the river trail at Camden. Track was in the best condition I've eve seen it in, and weather was perfect. 2 hours (inc ride there and back) well spent. And a PB to boot!

Only downside was having to ride along the shared path to the trailhead; idiots galore spread over the path, changing sides randomly, no social distancing etc. Good to see families on bikes together but people really have no idea around moving off to the side if they need to stop, as opposed to blocking the whole path. Aint rockey science, but may as well be!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So the @hifiandmtb vs @foxpuppet outer Sydney huck fest is on!!! The Pannell of judges will decide the winner based on a combination of style and balls the wall courage! The BBQ Master is up against a bigger overall hit than Slide Slammer, so he may receive a small difficulty enhancer to be decided when the entry is submitted. Date of the competition is set for 2 weeks after this bullshit lock down is lifted, to allow the boys to get back on their A-line stomping game. They'll have plenty of lockdown time to meditate and vision the send plus build whatever assistance they need. Things like a lander (soft!) Or kicker (now you're talking #send!).

Now for ab brief analysis of how things stand after last weekend. Both competitors are showing good style in the loose natural terrain that Sydney trails are renowned for. There's great bike control and body position and they both appear the very on touch with their bikes. Speaking of which I see they are on reasonably similar rollers with an Ibis Ripmo and a Santa Cruz Hightower, so the west coast rivalry is running deep!

A look at the feature from down south and the options really open up for style points. If Slide Slasher wants to keep on his straight line there is opportunity to construct a sweet step down. Word is that he has been stockpiling construction materials and bags of cement recently, so I'd be looking out for a fellow building a nice long landing ramp where the red squiggle is. Nothing too step, focusing on width and length to allow for a bit of freestyle while in the air over the scooped out section of rock (between the red dot and and red squiggles). The red dot indicates the shortest length possible for gapping the scoop and I wouldn't be surprised to see a small concrete + native rock kicker built somewhere along that straight line in, probably a bit further back though. I'd expect 2 bike lengths or air time would be the sweet spot on this on.

View attachment 362046

Alternatively he may opt for less work and a pure balls to the wall approach. The rock has a nice bulge (circled in red) with a good line in. From this he might choose to go big to flat and chase the brass balls points or again take up the prison to assemble a lander and work some style on the roll down.

View attachment 362049

And that rock has plenty of other goodies to share too! We could see something totally unexpected here, just like that first morning when his wife's eyes clear over a cup of coffee and she sees the slide finally completed! He is a known wildcard so stay stunned.

Things are a little different up north. The BBQ Master has been given a bit of a gift here. This naturally bigger feature is littered with opportunity to show off! Straight up the landing area is already on a bit of a slope, all be it gentle. Just look at the angle of the bike! It must be steep his face is looking pretty puffed. He could simply rock up to that edge (marked by the red X), lift the front wheel, and send himself to victory! Speed isn't the key O this one, it will be reliant on balance and power transfer. Or maybe pull an acid drop or a cave man just because? The only limit is the imagination and I've run out of ideas.

View attachment 362050

So maybe the (approximately) 6 foot drop isn't what's needed though? Bigger isn't always better afterall! The feature options really open up if the landing is extended up the rock, providing an arc for a lander with a smooth transition meeting up with the existing angle of the trail. The Didier could then look to send from a little further back, or a lot further back! Bringing the bike into a dramatic nose dive to finish the feature off.

View attachment 362051

I'm on the edge of my seat here!!! Popcorn is already on the stove. Need mention that the books are already open so let the betting begin!!!
Thank you, this was an awesome effort - even by your standards. The illustrated faces make it 1000x better. :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Damn! My inbox is filled with people laying on the bets. Keep em coming folks! Somebody needs a new pair of shoes.

No refunds on deposits laid

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Solo blast along the river trail at Camden. Track was in the best condition I've eve seen it in, and weather was perfect. 2 hours (inc ride there and back) well spent. And a PB to boot!

Only downside was having to ride along the shared path to the trailhead; idiots galore spread over the path, changing sides randomly, no social distancing etc. Good to see families on bikes together but people really have no idea around moving off to the side if they need to stop, as opposed to blocking the whole path. Aint rockey science, but may as well be!
Wasn`t this trail closed down by the owner ? If its back open thats awesome !

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

I did actually climb up there to size it up.
Take off point is over my head height (178cm tall) Lansing about 1.m below where I am standing in last shot. Landing is 3 bike lengths (3.6m) from top to bottom and a lessening curve to flat. Looks doable but beyond my pay grade. (Bike more than capable - rider is the issue) But in the name of the challenge I’ll look at it closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Where's the rock send video - that chunk is huge!
He is hungry for inspiration!!! That is the fighting spirit we want to see!

It's deceptive @foxpuppet! The photo looking down from the top males it look massive!!! But the one with you on top looks manageable. I'd be looking to bring the landing up the rock face a little and deal myself a better angle.

Have either of you guys ridden the main run at Narra down from the trig point? Epic roll in followed by nice drop. Also has an epic drop near by... @BT180 is that stuff still there? I've not been south to go north for years.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Stromlo again today. It looks like the Little Seymour to fire road segment was removed from Strava. I only note it because my mate recorded 20 seconds faster than me, on a run where I gained over 5 seconds on him. It consistently happened on that segment. Weird.

Canberra's personal MTB fotog wasn't out this arvo so no pics. There's a new double near the bottom of Double D after the big berms, and for once we stopped and scoped a feature. The launch is super flat, and it's a long gap for such a small kicker. A young lad came past and cleared it but he had to boost so hard that he landed a bit out of shape on top of the landing mound, but got it back. Went up and did another run, manualled it very poorly but that's gonna be faster and safer than trying to jump it.

This htf action could be interesting. I'm looking at a spot near my place that had a DH run thru pine forest and a creek. It last existed in 2003. I think it's possible to re-make in some form. It could include a htf feature. Not sure it will be 178cm with a steep entree. But I really want to see this trail come back for sentimental reasons.