What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
3rd ride on Zwift (don't worry, I won't keep posting about it). It's a strange thing climbing up grades you'd probably never manage in real life. It went 16% for a while there and I think I nearly passed out after about 30 seconds of that (exaggerating a little there, but not much). On a real bike I probably would've low-speed crashed it at 14-15% due to loss of coordination while trying to keep the legs turning. Hopefully with more sessions this actually will translate into some progress not just in-game but in the real world post-lockdown!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Anyone know if there is any carbon wheels factories in Taiwan that you can buy direct from? They manufacture everything else for bicycles, makes sense to buy from them rather than china..
Yes, when I visited Dirty Bikes in Taipei then they had a newish Taiwan carbon rim called Quai on offer. They weren't cheap but the owner had been riding them for a while and gave them the thumbs up.

They had one model there with a ribbed flat surface near each spoke hole and looked good to me.

Here is the FB link and a photo.
FB_IMG_1588160184295.jpg

Last edited:

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Not sure what to say really as I haven't ridden on the east coast to offer any comparisons.

Mt Gunjin is the main focus for shuttle runs. About 150m descent over 2km in a straight line. Various blue and black options, mix of old hand built rocky trails and newer machine built flow stuff with berms etc.

The rest of Kalamunda is xc circuit stuff, mainly blue with a bit of green and black. Over 50km of trails with alot of different ways to link them up, so you can make it what you want it to be.

Plenty of different features like wooden berms, single, double and table top jumps, north shore style stuff etc mixed around, and most difficult stuff have b lines.

Nearby there are unsactioned double black trails that are supposedly pretty heavy going in parts.

And then other trail options through the Perth hills and not far out of Perth.

What sort of riding are you into?
I do mostly rainforest, rooty, pinch climbs, flow trails, creek crossings etc (Smithfield trails in Cairns)

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I do mostly rainforest, rooty, pinch climbs, flow trails, creek crossings etc (Smithfield trails in Cairns)
Rainforest - no
Rooty - some, but they're dry roots not the slick rainforest type.
Pinch Climbs - not really
Flow Trails - yes
Creek Crossings - negative

What we can offer is ball bearing gravel and dust in copious volumes. And Sam Hill.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, when I visited Dirty Bikes in Taipei then they had a newish Taiwan carbon rim called Quai on offer. They weren't cheap but the owner had been riding them for a while and gave them the thumbs up.

They had one model there with a ribbed flat surface near each spoke hole and looked good to me.

Here is the FB link and a photo.
View attachment 362641
Cheers, Looks like these?
Fb link isn’t working for me..

crash3

Likes Dirt
Finally. FINALLY back on the bike (yesterday).
A work mate has been bugging me to go for a ride after work for a while, so yesterday we did mt keira lookout to gipps road. 5pm start was not the greatest idea for my first time on the trail, but it was fun all the same.

Good lord the unfitness though :(

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Rainforest - no
Rooty - some, but they're dry roots not the slick rainforest type.
Pinch Climbs - not really
Flow Trails - yes
Creek Crossings - negative

What we can offer is ball bearing gravel and dust in copious volumes. And Sam Hill.
I lived in Toodyay for a couple of years so I know all about the thrills and spills of pea gravel :)

Flow trails are my favourite so I reckon this will be fine!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Cheers, Looks like these?
Fb link isn’t working for me..
I think so. This looks to be their site. https://www.quai-bicycle.com/

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Thanks mate, yeah they look good. Their euro store (czech) has a special on the normal style rim, $900 au a pair laced to a dt swiss 350 rear hub.. Might flick them an email and see if they will post to au..
$900AU a pair isn't too nasty. Worth a shot. Otherwise, I can ask Xavier at Dirty Bikes if he can help.

smudge84

Likes Bikes
Order came from MTB direct, hooray

Brain fail though was distracted and over tightened seat post clamp which resulted in a dead dropper post ... screams

oh well another order placed to MTB direct lol

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hunt XC Wide wheels rocked up (was going to get the Race versions but needed non-boost), alongside Oneup EDC that I have yet to install.

Installed wheels and initial impressions are good! Well built, light, freehub has good engagement and they included extra spokes + conversion endcaps. Tyres seated easily with standard trackpump without needing any tricks too. Thumbs up so far, hopefully they last.

indica

Serial flasher
PIcked up one of the from @THE CHENZ

So good. Light, well fitted... good coverage on my head - it's big y'know...