What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Did a loop of Bruce Ridge, rode my mate's Ibis Mojo 2017, with 2.8 plus tyres and really wide rims. It's a large so a shade small for me. The frame and the way it rides felt similar to the Bronson, but not as smooth. The steering felt vague, turning like a yacht where the Bronson is like a jet ski. I think rhe DVO fork was a touch hard for me, only adjusted the shock, overall a nice bike but I am not sold on plus Minion DHF's at all.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Did it tramline on those tyres - how did the steering behave under braking?
It seemed to go ok braking, it was coming out of a berm as speed was picking up again it understeered me into a tree, and another much lower speed one the same thing happened, it didn't snap out of corners nicely, and took more effort to steer.

It flopped and deflected on a couple of lower speed things where I was used to being more loose in the arms.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Niece called to say her son's bikes have copped a hammering over the "study from home phase" and need a bit of work plus the rear brake on one isn't working. Ah Tektro, look like Deores. Took bits and pieces up and look no bleed nipples on the Tektros. WTF? And none of my Shimano gear fits properly. My spares included a couple of Shimano calipers. Bleed nipples off those fit both ends of the Tektros! Push / pull bleed through the nipples!!! Very goodly. Fluid was black and ugerly so full flush needed. Pads were shagged and one rear pad down to metal backing from mad skids. Spare Deore pads... do not fit. 10 minutes with a file and they are running Deore pads now. Turned to bike 3, the Trek Fuel Ex 9 I gave them last year. Brakes completely flaccid. Quick bleed and rolid as a sock. Except the front pad retaining bolt (SLXs) was missing completely. Not sure how it didn't spit the pads out. Split pin retrofit until I get back there with a retainer bolt.

Good deed done. Cost me a few hours, a can of brakeclean, 100mL ish of mineral brake fluid, 4 spare Deore pads, some inner and outer gear cables and uncle lost a split pin from farm spares.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Niece called to say her son's bikes have copped a hammering over the "study from home phase" and need a bit of work plus the rear brake on one isn't working. Ah Tektro, look like Deores. Took bits and pieces up and look no bleed nipples on the Tektros. WTF? And none of my Shimano gear fits properly. My spares included a couple of Shimano calipers. Bleed nipples off those fit both ends of the Tektros! Push / pull bleed through the nipples!!! Very goodly. Fluid was black and ugerly so full flush needed. Pads were shagged and one rear pad down to metal backing from mad skids. Spare Deore pads... do not fit. 10 minutes with a file and they are running Deore pads now. Turned to bike 3, the Trek Fuel Ex 9 I gave them last year. Brakes completely flaccid. Quick bleed and rolid as a sock. Except the front pad retaining bolt (SLXs) was missing completely. Not sure how it didn't spit the pads out. Split pin retrofit until I get back there with a retainer bolt.

Good deed done. Cost me a few hours, a can of brakeclean, 100mL ish of mineral brake fluid, 4 spare Deore pads, some inner and outer gear cables and uncle lost a split pin from farm spares.
Love that they're getting used, but no lessons in mechanical sympathy?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
bought some clear gorilla tape from Aldi, 9.99 for 38mm wide 4.5m hoping will b good for tubeless tape, clear & waterproof
Don't know about using it as tubeless tape (though can't see why not, other than it's way wider than you need) but that stuff is an excellent alternative to bike-branded frame tapes. Doesn't yellow in the sun, easy to apply and cuts nice and cleanly with a craft knife, not too thick but enough to stop stone chips etc.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't know about using it as tubeless tape (though can't see why not, other than it's way wider than you need) but that stuff is an excellent alternative to bike-branded frame tapes. Doesn't yellow in the sun, easy to apply and cuts nice and cleanly with a craft knife, not too thick but enough to stop stone chips etc.
Beware that it's a bitch to clean up if/when removing though, leaves a whole lot of residue that took a good while to clean up. It's pretty soft too, first scratch I got on the Marino went straight through the tape - 3M helicopter tape (ebay) is probably worth the extra 5 bucks or so.

That said, it's great stuff for general repairs around the house.

Cardy George

Put the f@#×ing Di2 battery plug back into the f@#×ing junction box

Fucker is taped on now. Fall off again, I f@#×ing dare you!

Cardy George

It's Sunraysia...three speeds is all you really need and a strong soul can manage one. Aren't you a strong soul?
I am a strong soul. Problem was being stuck in a gear that produced 21km/h at 130rpm.

If I have the ability for Di2 on the next bike, I probably would again, but I definitely won't be upset if I don't. At least with a cable I could've jury-rigged a decent speed.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I am a strong soul. Problem was being stuck in a gear that produced 21km/h at 130rpm.

If I have the ability for Di2 on the next bike, I probably would again, but I definitely won't be upset if I don't. At least with a cable I could've jury-rigged a decent speed.
Think of your aerobic fitness!