What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Nice WFH LTR today at the local. Thought it would have dried out after a few days from the major soaking. But it was sloppier than I've ever seen it. Good fun though.

Regardless, it's so good to close the laptop at lunchtime... and escape the work bizzo for an hour and a bit, and having a ride.

And you know, it's amazing how the weather improves during the ride. It started out bitterly cold, and I was hanging for the first climb. On the way back, it was fantastic how the weather had picked right up, like a lot, and I was warm as toast. Weird.

Here's a nice dry bit...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Awesome ride with @T-Rex, @Haakon, @Litenbror and @bear the bear from RB and my mates Dave and Owey, and Dave's mate Kirk and Bear's mate whose name I've forgotten. T-Rex has the band pic.

I rode one of these, short story is Owen got his bike (older low end Anthem) stolen, so he's riding his son's bike and looking for a new bike so he rode the Bronson:

Tubes, plastic flats with plastic "pins", narrowest bars I've ridden since the early 90's, a bit loose in the rear end, stem way too long and stacked (owner is taller than me, bike way too small), juicy brakes, no index click on the upshift, big fat saddle, literally it had the lot.

We avoided Magpie Rock etc. so I wouldn't get a flat but still got one on Pork Barrel. Cracked this shits because we didn't pack a 26 tube, but @Haakon had a 27.5 and between us all we got it fixed.

It was fun to get on an old bike, and with a bit of tuning it would rail pretty hard, it was way lighter than I expected and I forgot how effortless it is to lift 26ers into the air over jumps. But all the bad things happened, skating across any gravelly or sandy lines (tubes), floppy on the climbs (stem and stack) , droppped the chain (3x), a couple of pedal slips, and I wore my thickest nix which exaggerated the seat. I think the most noticable thing was the bars though, wide bars, remove the spacers and shorter stem would make it much better.

I still ran it round some good tracks for 18km and it worked ffor the most part, but I don't miss any of those headaches. Also stayed in middle ring all day which kinda proves for all but the worst climbs we were wasting space, function and weight with granny gears.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Has anyone ridden at Maldon recently? Are the trails running okay? Planning to maybe head there tomorrow.
I was there just before covid hit and the trails were running really rough and blown out. More than usual. Maybe a bit of moisture has helped that a bit.
You riding up the road or have a shuttle pig?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Great ride guys. This is my mate's twin for the retro stumpy - he's finding it a great bike to get aquaintined with the whole MTB caper, but an upgrade looms!!! Note my old spare Giant dropper thats really too long for it but better than nothing! His has also had a shorter stem and wider bars mod done to it.

ttnguyen133

Likes Bikes
I was there just before covid hit and the trails were running really rough and blown out. More than usual. Maybe a bit of moisture has helped that a bit.
You riding up the road or have a shuttle pig?
Oh Maldon is already rough enough as is haha. Have some beginner/intermediate friends so not sure if it's going to be bit too much (would only be doing the valley and city link). Fortunately, have a ute to self shuttle with cos a friend who only comes once in a blue moon is coming, so trying to make use of the opportunity.

Are there any other nice shuttleable trails that are not too gnarly around?