What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Went for a ride on the gravel bikes with a mate & the wife this morning.
Got around to solving the click in the rear isospeed and the creaking cables!

View attachment 365257
My first isospeed developed a bad creak which I managed to turn into a tolerable creak. This frame doesn't, so it's due to start creaking next week.

Club mate had an alloy frame, his creak seriously sounded like he had taken to the frame with shears.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Went for a spin at Quarry Park in Footscray. Haven't ridden on dirt since early March, so the first run felt like it was my first time on a MTB, felt so wooden (that has two meanings!). Tracks are actually pretty decent, nothing too serious (unless you overshot a jump or something stupid), but the berms are mega. Was a bunch of fun even though I was still riding half like a newbie even by the time I left.

Still getting acquainted with the new bike, but seems fun. It obviously wanted to stretch it's legs on some faster trails though, so can't wait until post-lockdown rides are on offer (eventually)!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Think I saw you out there @beeb (were you with a mate on a Yeti?). Was chewing my stem on the SS up the hill so didn't pause to say hi sorry o_O

beeb

Think I saw you out there @beeb (were you with a mate on a Yeti?). Was chewing my stem on the SS up the hill so didn't pause to say hi sorry o_O
Yes, that was me and my mate on his SB5. I didn't catch the face so apologies if I don't pick you from the crowd in future, but man - you were smashing laps out like a champ! Awesome effort. :) I was taking it nice and easy after coming out of hibernation, but still had a blast though! Definitely welcome to say hi if you spot me in future, I promise I'll hang back and not breathe on you! :)

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
@beeb went out for a bit of a smash fest to hurt myself after being inside all week and the hordes of 14 year olds made sitting around up top even less appealing. Will say hi next time
I see you round this way or at Youies when we’re allowed back!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
SRAM just keep on giving.
Apparently Rockshox can’t have bleed valves on their fork cause of a patent (presumably Fox).

And SRAM can’t use adjustable clutches on their RDs cause Shimano has that parented and won in court, which led to the Type 2.1 or 3 (?) revision of their RD system.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I do understand the need to 'protect' your brand, but in the case of Slik I wouldn't have thought they were doing much harm, and it may have actually helped with sales as people knew they could get whatever graphics they wanted to go on their shiny new forks.
Probably push these stickers to be made in a place where Fox legal eagles can't reach easily and sell them via AliExpress.

beeb

Continuing the patent/IP discussion; it looks like the Fox PR department got bored...
https://www.change.org/p/fox-factory-ltd-help-slik-graphics-offer-fox-decals?signed=true

I do understand the need to 'protect' your brand, but in the case of Slik I wouldn't have thought they were doing much harm, and it may have actually helped with sales as people knew they could get whatever graphics they wanted to go on their shiny new forks.
What the actual fuck? They allow a Fox owner to actually aesthetically match Fox product to a bike while still advertising the Fox brand name, and that's a bad thing now?

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably push these stickers to be made in a place where Fox legal eagles can't reach easily and sell them via AliExpress.
Most likely. It looks like they've only gone after Slik at this point, which means there's plenty of other small companies out there that can still make something up

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ahh wow, that's a distasteful move by Fox. Perhaps they're planning on a custom colour/sticker program and don't want competition?

madstace

Likes Dirt
Continuing the patent/IP discussion; it looks like the Fox PR department got bored...
https://www.change.org/p/fox-factory-ltd-help-slik-graphics-offer-fox-decals?signed=true

Well, there's another major brand that can go fuck themselves. I hated their products anyway, so now I get to double down and hate the company too! Between this and SRAM/Rockshox patenting laser etching, I'm so glad to be running DVO front and rear.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Went to check out a new black diamond track people have been raving about.

Mate said it was rocky and would wait after 50 metres to help with a puncture.

Turned out he wasn't joking and yep tore a hole in both brand new tyres in the spot he predicted. In my defence it's poor trail building with a sharp rock positions right at the bottom of a chute.

Tubes the front but the rear wasn't as bad and held with sealant, for another 50 metres.

With sealant spraying everywhere had to walk the next 709 metres out.

So 2 brand new tyres destroyed and a ride ruined but that's mountain biking I guess.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Went to check out a new black diamond track people have been raving about.

Mate said it was rocky and would wait after 50 metres to help with a puncture.

Turned out he wasn't joking and yep tore a hole in both brand new tyres in the spot he predicted. In my defence it's poor trail building with a sharp rock positions right at the bottom of a chute.

Tubes the front but the rear wasn't as bad and held with sealant, for another 50 metres.

With sealant spraying everywhere had to walk the next 709 metres out.

So 2 brand new tyres destroyed and a ride ruined but that's mountain biking I guess.
Time for some more psi’s and thicker casing! It’s a shit go mate.