What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
Rode The Oaks firetrail yesterday, has been graded recently, pretty smooth, no golf ball rocks trying to kill you.
Single trail is awesome, lots of little jumps and drop offs. Rougher than last time I was there, maybe even better.
Climb out still steep

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Rode a Red Hill roadside trail today, not a big ride. About an hour. Nice though.

Had to swerve a bit to miss a tiger snake, about an inch to spare. I wasn’t going fast but no way I could’ve stopped, so I hippy shaked around it. Definitely a tiger, but it may have been dead, as it didn’t move at all and it was sort of matte coloured, just didn’t look alive, but I wasn’t stopping to find out.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Took my rear wheel off to check out a slow leak I have at the moment.
Went downhill from there when my cluster fell off!
Seems I might have broken the axle lol. Shit
Now the race is on to find something in time for a Bright trip this weekend.

View attachment 371320
Sure that's not how its supposed to be?
Either way put it back together and pretend you never saw it.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Yep, I chickened out today on the regular one but that is the higher line and means you hit the landing on an angle.
Wow. That top line is till a big drop. Is the regular to the left with that looks like a ledge to come off?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah the main line has a rock ledge and you can practically fall of it and make the lander. It's all psychological your riding and just seeing sky till you hit the lip, I'm happy to hit dodgy drops and trails but not blue sky for some reason. Brains are funny things when they are trying to protect themselves.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Rode the top bit of Lake Mountain's Cascades track again yesterday with my boys. Was hoping to make it all the way down but it was a touch hotter than expected and had to call it at the ticket booth. Still a great day out, good trail that one, though the abundance of March flies wasn't awesome.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Yeah the main line has a rock ledge and you can practically fall of it and make the lander. It's all psychological your riding and just seeing sky till you hit the lip, I'm happy to hit dodgy drops and trails but not blue sky for some reason. Brains are funny things when they are trying to protect themselves.
Yeah the ledge also slightly obscures the lander too, totally a mind game, before hitting this I'd never dropped something that blind. On the day I didn't even roll up to the edge as I'd seen it before, instead I focussed on watching the guy who was giving me some guidance land it a few times and then just decided I could land it and went.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
View attachment 371305

Another cruisy 43km river ride this morning. Quite pleasant aside from the behaviour of quite a few cycling groups.

I’m really puzzled how they expect patience, courtesy and respect from drivers on the road, but can’t provide same to pedestrians and recreational cyclists when they’re on the shared paths.
Given up riding around the river, too many people who either take up too much space or hoon around.
Only shared path I'll ride at the minute is the freeway bike path and (if its super busy), between the Narrows and UWA.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Nah, can feel the final burr were it was just hanging on, otherwise a very clean break :(
That is my secondary plan, I had noticed a bit of movement of the last ride or two thought the bearings were just on their way out, this must have been it haha.
View attachment 371321

Yep
Some Giant hubs are OEM DT Swiss, aren't they? I'll see if I can find a link.

Edit: link to list of freehubs.

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Took my rear wheel off to check out a slow leak I have at the moment.
Went downhill from there when my cluster fell off!
Seems I might have broken the axle lol. Shit
I don't understand how that can happen without also snapping the through axle?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't understand how that can happen without also snapping the through axle?
No idea either! Seems like a fatigue failure as it's a clean break most of the way though. But not sure how it would have been moving around enough to do this with a through axle through the middle of it. Checking the DT diagrams it does seem to be a kind of notched axle that runs all the way through.

Either way, I slapped it back together and seems no less solid than it did last few rides lol, so will take the punt on it this weekend while I decide what to do for a new wheelset. I can't get anything in time anyway.

Last edited: