What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Minlak

custom titis
Car brake cleaner, it's recommended in that thread but not by you lot. It's only $8 so I can use it on the cars instead. I only bought it because I can't find 100% Isopropyl alcohol in Cairns at the moment!
Reading back all I see is @moorey and 1 or 2 of his cult members making a passing remark - Certainly wouldn't call that a majority - If you have no additives in the brake cleaner use away - You only need to clean brakes when there is an issue anyway otherwise pad build up is a good thing for the rotors.
I mean the whole thread you linked offered people that did and didn't use it - certainly more of a cross section of opinions.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Yup that's fair enough, I'm just a bit excited about maintaining my own bike and not relying on a mechanic to take care of every issue.

PS. My stand and tools arrive today!

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Car brake cleaner, it's recommended in that thread but not by you lot. It's only $8 so I can use it on the cars instead. I only bought it because I can't find 100% Isopropyl alcohol in Cairns at the moment!
I was joking - nothing wrong with brake cleaner. It is literally made to clean brakes. PS repco occasionally has it on sale 4 cans for $10.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Used acetone to clean the rotors and pads the other day. Seemed to do the trick.

Good to get all this info and try to see what give the best outcome for effort.i mean o get the cooking of pads now, but seems like a lot of effort. None the less will give it go at some point to compare results

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
That's one hell of an age gap!
Not my middle brother, he's a balding flog who used to think he was a race car mechanic, but now just works in a shitty little garage in a small town.

Middle Brother fits between Oldest Boy and Little Sender. Oldest doesn't ride, but Middle Brother did the 30k in 2h 35m and Little Sender the 10k in 53m. More hills than either of them had seen in their entire lives!

Attachments

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Car brake cleaner is bad, car brake cleaner is good - So much conflicting information!
It's almost like there's different types with different mixes of chemicals! :eek:

Alternatively you could just use pure isopropyl, know it's going to work perfectly without leaving any residue, and can be bought online and delivered to your door. Even in Cairns. A 5L container will last you a goodly while.

moorey

call me Mia
I was joking - nothing wrong with brake cleaner. It is literally made to clean brakes. PS repco occasionally has it on sale 4 cans for $10.
Car brakes and bike brakes, while the same, are kinda different. My old Landy used to leak oil directly onto the rotors, and it barely effected the performance. Bike brakes are a little more sensitive.
That said, some people have success using it on bikes. I’d prefer not to do so, when cooking pads and wiping rotors brings them back like new.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Not my middle brother, he's a balding flog who used to think he was a race car mechanic, but now just works in a shitty little garage in a small town.

Middle Brother fits between Oldest Boy and Little Sender. Oldest doesn't ride, but Middle Brother did the 30k in 2h 35m and Little Sender the 10k in 53m. More hills than either of them had seen in their entire lives!

View attachment 372561

View attachment 372556
View attachment 372555

View attachment 372557
View attachment 372559
Did you keep it together at the finish?

If they were my boys I would be a blubbering mess and overflowing with pride.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Did you keep it together at the finish?

If they were my boys I would be a blubbering mess and overflowing with pride.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
I was the blubbering mess at the 100k finish. There wasn't a whole lot in the course for Chonky Butts like myself to be able to keep up with the pure XC whippets.

Would've loved to have seen Middle Brother cross the line, but they ran our races at the same time. The professional photographers caught some cracker shots of him, the smile didn't leave his face all day. He's never ridden that far in one go, let alone in that terrain. He's super proud of himself.

And if Little Sender ever pays attention to anything he does, he would've learnt he can push much further than he thinks. That was run on Sunday so I rode it with him, coaching him down, not that he really needed it, and then keeping him going on the ups.

But yes, Mrs George and I are super proud of what they did and how they did it

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Bike stand and tools arrived today! As an added bonus, the stand matches the colour of the decals on my bike but the tool tray is comically low. How short are Taiwanese people?

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Apparently its in stock too...