What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Jpez

Down on the left!
Heck yeah, should be good. :)

@Jpez - keen?
Keen definitely! Able not so sure. Weekend rides are always a certain lock in but will have to play an arvo/evening ride by ear as I do the kiddo and cooking duties most evenings. I’ll have to count my accumulated brownie points to see if I have enough built up!

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Keen definitely! Able not so sure. Weekend rides are always a certain lock in but will have to play an arvo/evening ride by ear as I do the kiddo and cooking duties most evenings. I’ll have to count my accumulated brownie points to see if I have enough built up!
Just let me know the night before and I'll make sure the spare lights are charged

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
After riding in swampy condition at the Silvan ‘flowduro’ event a few weeks back, I thought it was time to replace all the bearings on my Tranny Sentinel. Did the headset last week then last night I lined up a a mate to help me punch out and replace all of the pivot bearings. Including the trunnion shock mount there are 12 bearings.

I was pretty surprised at how bad the old ones were. The frame is only 2 years old and 7 months of that was spent locked down in Melbourne only getting out for an hour to ride on bike paths every second day or so... Yet at best some of the bearings were gritty and ‘bumpy’ in feel while at worst they were impossible to turn by hand.

Anyway, it took a while but thanks to a big hammer, a few beers and my mate’s care and experience (a he’s a fitter and turner by trade) we got there and now she’s buttery smooth. Mmmmmm butter.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
After riding in swampy condition at the Silvan ‘flowduro’ event a few weeks back, I thought it was time to replace all the bearings on my Tranny Sentinel. Did the headset last week then last night I lined up a a mate to help me punch out and replace all of the pivot bearings. Including the trunnion shock mount there are 12 bearings.

I was pretty surprised at how bad the old ones were. The frame is only 2 years old and 7 months of that was spent locked down in Melbourne only getting out for an hour to ride on bike paths every second day or so... Yet at best some of the bearings were gritty and ‘bumpy’ in feel while at worst they were impossible to turn by hand.

Anyway, it took a while but thanks to a big hammer, a few beers and my mate’s care and experience (a he’s a fitter and turner by trade) we got there and now she’s buttery smooth. Mmmmmm butter.
View attachment 374975
They seem to have a reputation for pretty poor factory bearing life sadly. Something I'll know all about in time! :p

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
They seem to have a reputation for pretty poor factory bearing life sadly. Something I'll know all about in time! :p
Yeah I was a bit surprised. Not sure it the carbon frame is exactly the same as the alloy but when you come to it, be careful with the double row of bearings at the chainstay/seatstay junction. There is an internal lip between the two bearings and you have to extract them individually (rather than punching both out through one side)

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yeah I was a bit surprised. Not sure it the carbon frame is exactly the same as the alloy but when you come to it, be careful with the double row of bearings at the chainstay/seatstay junction. There is an internal lip between the two bearings and you have to extract them individually (rather than punching both out through one side)
Ooh, that's a good one to know! Cheers for the heads-up. :)

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland

View attachment 374975
I checked (and pumped full of grease) all my pivot bearings a few months after purchase on my 2018 smuggler. And have re-greased them once since.

I found the two centre rocker bearings to be the only ones that were notchy/very hard to spin. I was able to free them up both times, but will replace them next bearing check.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Rode 17 and a bit k's at the Youies (stockyards) with a few mates from high school days.

No full face helmets in the group, so I went with the half lid too and left the elbow/knee guards at home. Much more free on the bike, but steered clear of anything harder than lactic.

One of the lads took a couple of tumbles on lactic sore shoulder but nothing busted apparently.

Not as busy as I expected out there. Fkn prime conditions though.

moorey

call me Mia
Did the Brackenbury Shifty 50. It’s actually meant to be 48....but did 54....
Had entered Quinn in the ebike 50, then her speed sensor wire shit itself during the week.
A mate kindly lent her his...bit big, and 800mm bars were a handful for her, but at least she got to race.
She headed off 15 minutes before me. I was little more than a km in and she calls...flat tyre. Told her to wait til I got there. It’s running tubes and I don’t carry tubes. Oh well, we start the 5km walk back together to get a tube from my car. Our 50 is likely over, we won’t get it fixed and make the first lap cut off.
2km or so, we run into a mate with a tube and pump, and fix her tyre. Worst pump ever, takes 10 min to inflate.....dang, the bead is popping off because we’re idiots. Another 10 minutes, Quinn is on her way. Lost about 40 min, but would have been a lot more going right back to the car. She’s determined to catch the other 2 50km ladies.
I try to put in a hot first lap. Catch some slower 50km riders but will blow up if I try to keep up this pace. Second lap was a lot slower, catching all the other 50km back markers on narrow trails with no passing spots.
Finished the race. Probably passed 50 riders on the second lap. Quinn caught up and passes the others, taking the women’s 50 ebike win.
I’m a little cooked, but first time I’ve done this event without cramping.....and @Daniel Hale wasnt even there to see me not in pain.

Last edited:

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I’m a little cooked, but first time I’ve done this event without cramping.....and @Daniel Hale wasnt even there to see me not in pain.
just wouldn’t have been the same without the cramping pain

i thought felix might have placed higher, but some of those youth’s are xco podium material and use quick bikes

moorey

call me Mia
just wouldn’t have been the same without the cramping pain

i thought felix might have placed higher, but some of those youth’s are xco podium material and use quick bikes
Yeah XC racing is another world. We were just there for a solid ride. I made him ride the phantom to save wear on the enduro bike. It’s his school commuting bike, it’s still a heavy bike and dropped a chain like 10 times. Wouldn’t have mattered. He knows some of the other kids. Harry was only just off the elite winning time in juniors. Huge respect to fast XC peeps all round.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I'm still getting used to it. Did you find the front wheel wants to fall over to one or the other side on slow climbs? Its a trait im still finding a little annoying. Its bloody quick down hill though.
Not really. I rode all but the hardest 2 a lines on the Stromlo climb with ease, the tightest ones felt fine because the cockpit was very close to the Bronson ETT wise when the saddle was up.

A few of the quite tight ones actually felt better than the Bronson, maybe the increased rear traction with your feet back further but your body forward further made tight stuff sweet despite the quite large wheelbase. I'm sold.

I'm getting the bike again later in the month and will take it down some more appropriately chunderous sections. I'll do something of a review. I was pretty amazed on a day I wasn't feeling particularly fast to best those times, with relative ease.

I busted my gut on my birthday last year to pull my Pork Barrel time (see what I did there) and made mistakes on this run but still beat it. Second downhill segment ever on the bike.

View attachment 374975
All hail the mighty hammer !!

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Not really. I rode all but the hardest 2 a lines on the Stromlo climb with ease, the tightest ones felt fine because the cockpit was very close to the Bronson ETT wise when the saddle was up.

A few of the quite tight ones actually felt better than the Bronson, maybe the increased rear traction with your feet back further but your body forward further made tight stuff sweet despite the quite large wheelbase. I'm sold.

I'm getting the bike again later in the month and will take it down some more appropriately chunderous sections. I'll do something of a review. I was pretty amazed on a day I wasn't feeling particularly fast to best those times, with relative ease.

I busted my gut on my birthday last year to pull my Pork Barrel time (see what I did there) and made mistakes on this run but still beat it. Second downhill segment ever on the bike.
I’ll put you on the orange at some point for another new school geo review.