What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

creaky

XMAS Plumper
No wisdom, just practical advice.

Ride it more.
Focus on where to brake, not how hard to brake.
Suitable tyres.
Ride it more.

Whenever I suck at a DH run with a big full susser and big tyres, then watch an XC whippet on a HT with crossmark tyres, it reminds me that it's my issue, not the bike's.
Pfft ... you'll get nowhere with that attitude. Dude needs new stuff, obviously.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
No wisdom, just practical advice.

Ride it more.
Focus on where to brake, not how hard to brake.
Suitable tyres.
Ride it more.

Whenever I suck at a DH run with a big full susser and big tyres, then watch an XC whippet on a HT with crossmark tyres, it reminds me that it's my issue, not the bike's.
That's absolutely fair, I guess you feel the need for better brakes because the first instinct is to slow down. I felt that my balance was a bit off coupled with the fact I've not really down a downhill section like that before!

moorey

call me Mia
That's absolutely fair, I guess you feel the need for better brakes because the first instinct is to slow down. I felt that my balance was a bit off coupled with the fact I've not really down a downhill section like that before!
More powerful brakes are just locking up easier. You’re not blasting 10 minute high speed descents. Granted dudes like us are braking more that an aggressive rider, but I haven’t cooked a set of pads in 10 years, and I’m only running XT 2pot with 180/203 on trail, enduro and DH bikes.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
More powerful brakes are just locking up easier. You’re not blasting 10 minute high speed descents. Granted dudes like us are braking more that an aggressive rider, but I haven’t cooked a set of pads in 10 years, and I’m only running XT 2pot with 180/203 on trail, enduro and DH bikes.
For sure. Hambo, I'd even suggest you need worse brakes, not better brakes.
Less braking power, means more learning to get off the coward levers.

(Actually only half joking - saw my own braking/not-braking improve after being forced to ride everything on my dirt jumper with holy rollers and a single rear brake a few months back. You corner better or you slide into the bushes...)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
@moorey was right when suggesting better tyres - more braking power won't really help confidence in steep tech, but nice big knobby rubber is something you will notice.

moorey

call me Mia
@moorey was right when suggesting better tyres - more braking power won't really help confidence in steep tech, but nice big knobby rubber is something you will notice.
I did the TransNZ twice. One year on new DD Minion DHR2 rear, next year on Minion SS rear. Same conditions, same tracks, but on the SS down Cheeseman/Kokaine alley at Craigieburn, the difference was night and day. Just unable to stay on the bike with SS even though second year, knowing what to expect. Bike accelerated under braking.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I did the TransNZ twice. One year on new DD Minion DHR2 rear, next year on Minion SS rear. Same conditions, same tracks, but on the SS down Cheeseman/Kokaine alley at Craigieburn, the difference was night and day. Just unable to stay on the bike with SS even though second year, knowing what to expect. Bike accelerated under braking.
I thought you did Papeete to Paris?

HamboCairns

I have a DHF on the front and Rekon on the back which seems to be coping ok. I have to admit, the biggest issue was tiredness, I had to stop where I could do allow my muscles to recuperate!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have a DHF on the front and Rekon on the back which seems to be coping ok. I have to admit, the biggest issue was tiredness, I had to stop where I could do allow my muscles to recuperate!
All of us have had crashes after a ride or at the end doing just one more run. Fact of life. You get fitter, rider further harder, still crash.

moorey

call me Mia
Rekon sucks balls for traction. I tried a 2.8 version. I think I binned it rather than keeping for a spare.
For your viewing pleasure. Bike racing me down the hill gives an indication of the steepness.
http://instagr.am/p/BRH2xwTgUEa/

HamboCairns

Rekon sucks balls for traction. I tried a 2.8 version. I think I binned it rather than keeping for a spare.
For your viewing pleasure. Bike racing me down the hill gives an indication of the steepness.
http://instagr.am/p/BRH2xwTgUEa/
I might invest in a Dissector or Aggressor rear tyre when this wears out. I'm pretty my next step is to ask @Scotty T his thoughts, which I promptly forget and the cycle starts again.