What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
^ that has to be one of the absolute balls to the wall past times.
speaking of which, My wife and I went to get our skydiving licenses some +10 years ago so that we could get into this. Long story short, we got almost the whole way through our license course and jumps and decided it wasn't for us. The drop zone we were doing training at wouldnt let you jump with one of these on unless you had a crazy number of normal jumps already recorded. Cant recall exactly, it was something like 80 or 200, or somewhere in-between.

The community of skydivers is full of legitimately insane people. While safety is the number one focus in training, once you're there on your own bat, we saw people taking some of the most insane risks and no one seemed to bad an eyelid. Was just part of the culture. Jump land go again. Packing parachute properly? Pfft, just jam that fucker in. What, you're leaving now? Robbo, can I borrow yours? Low opening? YEah man, so i have more time to jam my chute back in so i can be ready for the next load before everyone else lands.

Falling out of planes gave me a fear if heights and it made me stop rock climbing (sad day). There was a constant feeling of dread going up in that plane and the falling sensation is absolutely bonkers. Most people really don't understand the term "sensory overload" until they jump out of a plane not attached to anyone or anything. The single most best bit of those experience was deploying the parachute, looking up to make sure the lines weren't twisted and realizing you're now safe. That feeling of relief is simply unmatched. Flying that a parachute is a magical experience. The falling bit not so much.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
speaking of which, My wife and I went to get our skydiving licenses some +10 years ago so that we could get into this. Long story short, we got almost the whole way through our license course and jumps and decided it wasn't for us. The drop zone we were doing training at wouldnt let you jump with one of these on unless you had a crazy number of normal jumps already recorded. Cant recall exactly, it was something like 80 or 200, or somewhere in-between.

The community of skydivers is full of legitimately insane people. While safety is the number one focus in training, once you're there on your own bat, we saw people taking some of the most insane risks and no one seemed to bad an eyelid. Was just part of the culture. Jump land go again. Packing parachute properly? Pfft, just jam that fucker in. What, you're leaving now? Robbo, can I borrow yours? Low opening? YEah man, so i have more time to jam my chute back in so i can be ready for the next load before everyone else lands.

Falling out of planes gave me a fear if heights and it made me stop rock climbing (sad day). There was a constant feeling of dread going up in that plane and the falling sensation is absolutely bonkers. Most people really don't understand the term "sensory overload" until they jump out of a plane not attached to anyone or anything. The single most best bit of those experience was deploying the parachute, looking up to make sure the lines weren't twisted and realizing you're now safe. That feeling of relief is simply unmatched. Flying that a parachute is a magical experience. The falling bit not so much.
Friend of the family when I was a kid was a nutter sky diver. He famously had a really nice expensive parachute with a bit of a stain on it from its previous owner. He got it very cheap obviously.

Nothing wrong with the chute, previous owner just didn’t pack it properly and made a bit of splatter when she hit the ground in her tangled chute at terminal velocity…

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title

Guy I went to Uni with flies wingsuits. Absolute lunatic. Did a postdoc in Switzerland so he could hoy himself off big things as he'd just got into BASE jumping when he left Sydney then graduated into wingsuits.
Tight Terrain Flying With Trent | TEEM (jointheteem.com)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Scared myself on some big jumps at Stromlo. I blame the Orange - it wants me to go faster and sometimes it does so without me noticing until I’m a lot further up in the air than I really wanted…
Talentspotter was out on Stromlo yesterday taking some cool pics and adding to his flickr account talented people launching off the cool jumps. And also photographing me looking decidedly untalented not hitting the jump at all...