What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

mark22

Likes Dirt
speaking of which, My wife and I went to get our skydiving licenses some +10 years ago so that we could get into this. Long story short, we got almost the whole way through our license course and jumps and decided it wasn't for us. The drop zone we were doing training at wouldnt let you jump with one of these on unless you had a crazy number of normal jumps already recorded. Cant recall exactly, it was something like 80 or 200, or somewhere in-between.

The community of skydivers is full of legitimately insane people. While safety is the number one focus in training, once you're there on your own bat, we saw people taking some of the most insane risks and no one seemed to bad an eyelid. Was just part of the culture. Jump land go again. Packing parachute properly? Pfft, just jam that fucker in. What, you're leaving now? Robbo, can I borrow yours? Low opening? YEah man, so i have more time to jam my chute back in so i can be ready for the next load before everyone else lands.

Falling out of planes gave me a fear if heights and it made me stop rock climbing (sad day). There was a constant feeling of dread going up in that plane and the falling sensation is absolutely bonkers. Most people really don't understand the term "sensory overload" until they jump out of a plane not attached to anyone or anything. The single most best bit of those experience was deploying the parachute, looking up to make sure the lines weren't twisted and realizing you're now safe. That feeling of relief is simply unmatched. Flying that a parachute is a magical experience. The falling bit not so much.
Just read this, had a similar when I was a pup, finished the course and loved it but the folk were wankers and gave it away. On our (class) first jump with no static line pulling the chute on exit, one of the guys landed wrong = spiral fracture tib/fib. Man you would hit the ground hard on those ex army chutes we were learning with.
Hell i would hate to come down on a reserve, saw one guy do it, looked like a plumiting pendulum.
12 or so years ago I saw a guy spud in on Kings Beach Caloundra right in front of the Rolling Surf resort cafe's. He didn't get up.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Gave the bitch a wash, dropped the fork down from 180mm to 160mm, cleaned and regreased the headset... Also replaced the Monarch PLUS RC3 with a CCDB Air CS I snagged cheap on Farcebook.

All prepped for Buller opening day! I hope.

View attachment 383299
Nice!

Any problems with your Pole? Mine hasn't missed a beat in 3 years of its hard life.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Nice!

Any problems with your Pole? Mine hasn't missed a beat in 3 years of its hard life.
None whatsoever.
I'd like to do a pivot bearing overhaul and replace the XT 11sp with XT 12sp, but otherwise all gravy!

Only problem is I've been riding a demo Trek Rail from work, and now my normal bike feels like the brakes are stuck on. o_O

Although - this also has a perk.
Now my 16kg Pole feels like a super light race machine vs the 24kg e-bike! Haha.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I brought a cheap wee ride to use with the grandkids the other week and fitted to my old Gary Fisher parts bin/getting around town/use on the trainer bike. So today we tested it out with a trundle around town, just need to grab him his own helmet now.

View attachment 383283

But I don’t think my riding skills impressed him much. Even with harness on I had to play catch a couple of times.

View attachment 383284
Haha. I lost track of how many times my daughter fell asleep on hers

slowmick

38-39"
Gave the bitch a wash, dropped the fork down from 180mm to 160mm, cleaned and regreased the headset... Also replaced the Monarch PLUS RC3 with a CCDB Air CS I snagged cheap on Farcebook.

All prepped for Buller opening day! I hope.
Are you going to take Ideate along for the ride?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
May as well be lol
This one is a 'flowduro' haha
Is there some sort of website that lists these events? I've only seen Buxton and the Golden Goat pop up on here, generally too late for me to get to them. Could've made plans if I'd known earlier

Was thinking it's in the same state, surely can't be that far... 600km each way.

We used to have a rule, the race had to take longer that the drive there. Unless you had a little holiday at the same time.
My problem is it takes longer than the race to get anywhere from here!

Mrs Grorge likes to tag along because it's a little holiday for her.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there some sort of website that lists these events? I've only seen Buxton and the Golden Goat pop up on here, generally too late for me to get to them. Could've made plans if I'd known earlier

My problem is it takes longer than the race to get anywhere from here!

Mrs Grorge likes to tag along because it's a little holiday for her.
Follow Big Hill events on insta.
Do do mostly XC type events such as the shifty 50 series, 3hrs etc.