What do you do for work ? Is it hit or shit.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I've dropped into Dubai for a work conference thing for a few days. It is just fuggin' hot even late in the evening. Plenty of sand too.

I like hot weather but Dubai heat goes over the level of suck. The locals aren't stupid enough to go out in the afternoon. See the big buildings and have a look around and plan an exit.

Here is one of the better bits though. Damn it is high.

looks like a screen shot from SIM-CITY!
would love to check it out one day though

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And that's why I'll never be in health; I immediately thought AWACS or spooky, even though Aus doesn't have any. Nice work mate, congrats on achieving it and enjoying it!

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And that's why I'll never be in health; I immediately thought AWACS or spooky, even though Aus doesn't have any. Nice work mate, congrats on achieving it and enjoying it!
We actually have AWACS (E7A Wedgetail). The closest thing to spooky would probably be the new P8A Poisedons, but it's a bit of a long bow to draw.

nakedape

Likes Dirt
Parkie #myjobsbetterthanyours. Most of the time, except when there's poo (there's often poo)

Sent from two tin cans joined by string

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
We actually have AWACS (E7A Wedgetail). The closest thing to spooky would probably be the new P8A Poisedons, but it's a bit of a long bow to draw.
try AEWAC
airborne early warning and control!...the badboy with the ironing board on the roof!
2SQN.jpg
we have 6 of these, with more coming...maybe!

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Game over here, wind up end of August. Def not complaining as on the plus side there's a bit of a package that will see me through for a while, maybe a year if I string it out, and I can wrap up some study in the mean time. Am aiming to be riding a few times a week, vs. few times a month.

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
Work in a bike shop. Can be both great fun and a total drag. This is directly determined by the customer you have to deal with at the time. Working on bikes is cool and rewarding. Getting stuff cheap is also sweet but with the online store options these days the public gets the same deals really. Shit, even I buy stuff online because it can be cheaper than buying it from the wholesaler. I've got a cool enough boss and crew that we all catch up for a ride on any public holiday as it's the only time we can all ride together. This is the best job I've had in terms of workload/responsibility/fun balance. Yeah, I can't complain.
I have been working in a shop for about three months now.It's a big store with 22 staff. Unfortunately they are all too fast for me to ride with.
I can't believe how cheap stuff online is. When I see the cost whole sale it blows my mind how pushys can be 10% cheaper.

It's a sick job. I do wish it was a smaller store though.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
HPC engineer we build some of the largest computers on the planet. Interesting gig I like it
Do you work on the one at NCI (Fujitsu)? I don't interact with the big machine much, my job there is more data service oriented.

It's quite a change from fixing bikes, although I miss some parts of that gig. And it was super timely - worked out a deal to spend time in office hours to finish the PhD, and got it over the line (just - like all PhDs)! Interesting projects, a massive learning curve - sometimes I get to be the awesome data ninja, sometimes I fuck it all up.

But the gig is basically trying to help people do practical things with a metric shit tonne of environmental and earth systems data collected over many years - which is essentially a good thing to be involved in. Anyway, happy camper here.