What do you do for work ? Is it hit or shit.

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I guess I am a teacher. Memorably, I taught a navy lad once that there is no reasonable explanation to give your girlfriend - you simply don't go home wearing your finest white parades after getting a lap dance from a lovely woman whose time of month wasn't best for lap dancing.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I am the technical support in Chemistry/Chem Eng and Water Treatment. I also "manage" environmental compliance at my current job.

I've worked in a few different industries, and the job is always different at each one. It's a shame that my most interesting jobs have been the lowest pay.

Some are unnecessary stressful, and they are the shit ones.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I'm a Mechanical Engineer working for Caterpillar. We design their underground trucks and loaders and they are also build here in Tassie as well, but as of March next year all manufacturing will be shipped off to Thailand. :yell:
Luckily for me engineering is safe for now.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sort of relevant; the rise of machines and automation.

What are people's thoughts how this may affect your line of work?

I guess it's a sliding scale of efficiency but I'm referring to a human role that ends up being performed by a machine.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I'm a bike mechanic. Best parts are helping people get their bikes running sweet, being surrounded by people who are into riding, and getting cheap parts and bikes. The worst parts of the job is dealing with bad customers (usually get one blow up a month along the lines of "RAAAAAAAR, you mother#$*$ers tried to kill me! You sprayed my disc brakes with WD40! You filed all the teeth on my chainrings so I keep getting chain suck", etc), and having to manage pressure from others to sell unnecessary stuff to customers and managing customer expectations from underquoted/over-promised jobs.

Despite all that, I enjoy it, and I'm thinking of heading back to uni next year to do a masters and get into public health/NGO type work in undeveloped countries, but I'd love to keep up the mechanic skills and do a weekend shift every now and then once I move on from it being my main source of income.

Last edited:

jrewing

Eats Squid
I'm a Mechanical Engineer working for Caterpillar. We design their underground trucks and loaders and they are also build here in Tassie as well, but as of March next year all manufacturing will be shipped off to Thailand. :yell:
Luckily for me engineering is safe for now.
Interesting. Was telling a few people today that manufacturing in thailand is on the up.

I'm contacting a company to price up some Titanium stuff I want machined

ducky1988

Likes Dirt
I'm a bike mechanic. Best parts are helping people get their bikes running sweet, being surrounded by people who are into riding, and getting cheap parts and bikes. The worst parts of the job is dealing with bad customers (usually get one blow up along the lines of "RAAAAAAAR, you mother#$*$ers tried to kill me! You sprayed my disc brakes with WD40! You filed all the teeth on my chainrings so I keep getting chain suck", etc), and having to manage pressure from others to sell unnecessary stuff to customers and managing customer expectations from underquoted/over-promised jobs.

Despite all that, I enjoy it, and I'm thinking of heading back to uni next year to do a masters and get into public health/NGO type work in undeveloped countries, but I'd love to keep up the mechanic skills and do a weekend shift every now and then once I move on from it being my main source of income.
I am the opposite of this, I have done the whole uni thing (even wet back again and hated it) but I am looking for a bike mechanic gig. I am sick of the big company and people screwing you over style jobs. I have found a shop that I am trying to get experience with. Even if it is a Saturday here and there at the moment, it might lead to something I actually want to be doing.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Sort of relevant; the rise of machines and automation.

What are people's thoughts how this may affect your line of work?

I guess it's a sliding scale of efficiency but I'm referring to a human role that ends up being performed by a machine.
Pretty sure the machine wouldn't even have to be functional to replace me.....infact, the cleaner's son's pet rock filled in for me when I last took leave.

Stationery use halved for those two weeks.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I am the opposite of this, I have done the whole uni thing (even wet back again and hated it) but I am looking for a bike mechanic gig. I am sick of the big company and people screwing you over style jobs. I have found a shop that I am trying to get experience with. Even if it is a Saturday here and there at the moment, it might lead to something I actually want to be doing.
Oh, I've already done the corporate thing as well man. Couldn't get out quick enough, although I did waste 3 years and a uni degree working as an accountant. At least it forced me to get out of that BS and cemented a healthy desire never to go back. I want to work on the ground in disadvantaged people in Australia or overseas, so far from going back to corporate. Already done another undergrad and enjoyed it but don't want to become an academic, so want to do my quick 1.5yr Masters and get out in the field doing stuff asap.

Shredden

Knows his goats
I work at an advertising/tech company that creates templates for ads so that companies don't have to pay a graphic designer every time they need an ad created.

I work with mostly indesign/photoshop/after effects as well as our own software - its a little bit of lowish-level graphic design, a little bit of basic programming, and a lot of problem solving.

Its a great job, its pretty rare that I wouldn't want to go to work (especially compared to how badly I never wanted to go to high school less than a year ago...).

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Another bike mechanic here (as if you hadn't already realised). Echo most of what Elbo said; customers for the most part can go & fuck themselves, it's the playing with bikes that I dig. Downside is the pay is shit, but I get by.

waldog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nurse, or Murse to represent the male of the species.

I do enjoy my job, maybe more so my profession, and more specifically my speciality. I work in anaesthetics and recovery.

I just don't like the politics and the extremely bitchy nature of nursing, especially theatre nursing. Everyone eats their own, especially nurses of the "old school", it's a terrible culture.

Also, even though I'm a manager, i'm still very much at the peril of decisions made elsewhere in the hospital by people that have absolutely no care or understanding for our department. Though I doubt that's an entirely unique scenario.

I get paid ok, certainly not enough, but that's not gonna change. I do get to do some cool stuff, and in my area I really have to whipe an arse or hold an old man's cock while he pees... Happy days.