What do you do for work ? Is it hit or shit.

stickso

Likes Dirt
Branch manager for an IT managed services provider. Basically we run the IT systems and helpdesk for other businesses. Been doing this for close to 20 years initially on the tools but now in management.

It's a great feeling to sit down with a new client who's put their heart and soul into their business but being let down by their shitty IT systems, and then turn it around. IT can get a bad rap but I see a lot of gratitude - it's about the people, not the tech.

Flow-Rider

Burner
My pay is independent of what I sell. I do get some incentives for selling certain products but not heaps. I see it as a foot into the industry.
You will have monthly or yearly targets and need to be a pusher or Bye-Bye normally.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
I'm head teacher (actually I'm the only teacher) at an alternate secondary school site (high level behaviour kids). These kids need to experience a positive culture (because all the other cultures in their lives is pretty shit), so we immerse them in mountain biking as much as possible. Love the job because I get to ride bikes, hang with one of my best mates (teacher aid) and work with some awesome kids. School holidays are nice too :)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
If I was in the trades id be angling for a gig with the Antarctic Division and go south.

BizL

Likes Dirt
You will have monthly or yearly targets and need to be a pusher or Bye-Bye normally.
Not in my contract. I've been told I'm gonna step up to assistant service manager n then I assume targets will need to be met. It's fine for the moment. I'll see how it goes.

sbr511

Likes Dirt
Mechanic by trade.
Worked as a Service Advisor.
Then as workshop manager.
Then threw it in.

Now an insurance underwriter for a certain motoring enthusiast based company...
Been doing that for about 7months and havent looked back.
9 day fortnight and get paid to work at car shows, motorsport events etc

stickso

Likes Dirt
I'm head teacher (actually I'm the only teacher) at an alternate secondary school site (high level behaviour kids). These kids need to experience a positive culture (because all the other cultures in their lives is pretty shit), so we immerse them in mountain biking as much as possible. Love the job because I get to ride bikes, hang with one of my best mates (teacher aid) and work with some awesome kids. School holidays are nice too :)
That's pretty awesome. Bet you get a lot of job satisfaction and very jealous of school holidays.

Just did my placement at a school that sounds very similar to yours (as a youth worker). "toogoolawa scool" loved every minute of it.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Work for a charter company in the top end. Work is varied. Sometimes 3 day weeks others 6 or 7. Get to see some truly remote places places and all the problems that the Indigenous in these communities deal with. It's quite depressing to see what conditions a lot live in within Australia despite enormous amounts of money being thrown around. The pay is also pretty shite and usually is for a good 10 years.

Pros are that I've taken up fishing and filling in 7 hours of waiting around by having a flick in the ocean is absolute perfection, seeing a lot of probably untouched landscape, potential for more travel and generally there is always progression. Also flying around someone elses cool toys with the best view anyone could ask for.

TBH I thought there would be more engineers in this thread. For some reasons mountain biking seems to attract a lot of them!

Last edited:

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I’m a Network Architect for a large multinational Telco / ICT corporation and do pre-sales and design of TDM / VoIP / Data / UC networks. I have been in this industry for over forty years, since uni, and love it. When I built my first super regenerative radio at ten years old, I knew then what I wanted to do.

Oddly, I was doing what I’m doing now in my late twenties, but kept getting promoted into management over and over again, and got killed a number of times by the upstairs political animals… so, this time around, I have made sure I’ll never have staff, and I hope to keep my current role for as long as possible. Weirdly in my professional life I am a super early adopter, and my solutions are always pushing the bleeding edge, whereas personally I’m a luddite.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I'm unemployed :high5: otherwise known as starting my own consultancy, aka staying unemployed for a while

Prior to that I was a Director in the NSW public service - loved the positive impact that you could have in that job, hated dealing with 'politicians' (not real politicians but the next layer up who were either political appointees or professional arse lickers).

deboat

Squid
Motorcycle industry for over 20 years. I moved OS, think orange bikes, and miss the Aussie weatherand surfing but I do live 10 min bike ride from the start of the Alps. It was -3 degrees on the way to work this morning.
I stalk the Rotorburn forum for my hits of Aussie humor. Thanks guys!

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I work offshore in upstream oil and gas. I am happy to remain in this job until my knees cannot handle the stairs anymore or I cannot pass the medicals. Probably going to be unemployed though by the end of 2016.

Last edited: