What do your kids ride?

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
thats what my kids ride - good bikes
Do your kids have trouble with the grip shifter? It`s taken over a year for him to start using it properly but watching him trying to work it while heading straight at solid objects is testing my nerves.
Cheers
MH

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
My daughters Indi has pretty much the same deal as the GT, 7 speed, SR fork and aluminium frame. I replaced the Shimano twist shifter with a 7 speed Rapidfire shifter for easier shifting after watching her struggle with the twist grip. It made a difference, but the problem lies with the very strong spring in the short cage Shimano 600 roadie dérailleur the previous owner fitted; I'll have to find a substitute.

lazysod

Cannon Fodder
Gave my son (11) my old stp. He wanted to join me and the fellows on some of the trails so kept the decent gear I had on it and put older stuff on it. Now I can let him wild knowing there's a better chance he'll make it up and down.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
O.K...my 17yo daughter has a XTR'd 08 scott scale and now has a Full xtr'd 05 specialized epic, she uses the scale to do xc racing and the epic gets used for trail and minor downhilling!..she loves them both!

Hew

Likes Dirt
O.K...my 17yo daughter has a XTR'd 08 scott scale and now has a Full xtr'd 05 specialized epic, she uses the scale to do xc racing and the epic gets used for trail and minor downhilling!..she loves them both!
17 eh BM? :p

furry forester

Likes Dirt
Thought I'd post, as I haven't seen this done before and it seems to be working out nicely. There is a big gap between kids dh bikes like stinky 2-4/Big hit grom type bikes and small adult dh bikes. Some AM bikes make a reasonable compromise but I was lucky enough to score a small Bottlerocket frame on fleabay. Lovely low standover, nice geo with a shorter shock, genuinely fantastic little bike. Suits my 11yr old nicely.
BR resized.jpg

demodv8

Likes Dirt
my little pinner

jarod5.jpgjarod5.jpg
This is my little fella he's 12 the picture was taken at ourimbah . It's just a 24in hard tail with old bits of my bike.Juicey brakes truvativ cranks cut down and redrilled. Bomber 55 forks with travel adjust wound down its a pretty strong bike we both race .I think There's nothing better than following my son down a track with a big smile on my face . not sure why there's two pictures

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
http://adamsteer.blogspot.com/2011/03/ride-on.html

Joe, on an upside down balance bike - hes nearly big enough to flip it over, but the long wheel base and super slack head angle have been great for him to learn with.

went for our first 'long ride' today, down the road to the park, around the pool, through another park.. out for about an hour! many more to come..

this'll be a great thread to keep, lots of good future bike advice, so thanks everyone!

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bought my son a 2nd hand Giant MTX150 for his 6th birthday. Nice looking little bike, good chance it will end up with some hand-me-down bits to improve it a little. Looking forward to getting him out in the bush this weekend on some flat-ish fire trails.

Question: Do your kids ride with gloves and what can you recommend for a 6year old? I'm not keen on him coming unstuck in the bush and landing palms down, he's likely to steer clear for a while after his first stack.

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
Question: Do your kids ride with gloves and what can you recommend for a 6year old? I'm not keen on him coming unstuck in the bush and landing palms down, he's likely to steer clear for a while after his first stack.
Fox do gloves in kid sizes. Your LBS should be able to order them or else just hit up a moto store that does dirt bikes, they should have them.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
My 6yo wears a pair of Lizard Skin gloves
http://lizardskins.com/store/products/mountain/gloves/g-love-glove-long
He had a huge stack last weekend when he hit a bermed turn at the Bendigo 6hr venue doing about 25kph and only made it around the first 3/4 of the turn. Front wheel slid up and over the edge and hello superman.
We insist that he rides with long sleeves, gloves, helmet (good quality) and glasses. He also has a small hydration pack that does an amazing job as a back protector.
Walked away with a black eye and gravel rash on his knee and cheek. More concerned about his bike.
Cheers
MH

indica

Serial flasher
My 6yo wears a pair of Lizard Skin gloves
Hey, the kids Fox gloves are pretty good too.
We got Anaconda hydration packs for both the kids and they are pretty good too.

Just bought the little man a new Specialized helmet which offers good around the back of the head protection too.

caak

Likes Bikes
My son's 26inch XS Specialized Stumpjumper.

He is turning 9 soon.

Paid $300 for it a couple of years ago.

Great bike.

Cheers
CAAK

bootsandall

Likes Dirt
Custom runner bike

My little one is coming up on 3yrs, first see loved riding in her trailer, then a seat on the back rack. She is a mini-me not realy tall but a pocket rocket, loves going fast and a little mad. Friends all laugh and say karma is due, little bit concerned but not as much as mum. She was given a bike when friends moved but it was way to big and just freaked her out. So while letting the mind go at work i came up with a little plan. First stop the tip for a few of the smallest bikes i could find. Second dispear to the shed without letting her. Angle-grinder, welder and spanners.... One custom chopped strider! used two front wheels, one of the frames and some ali tube from work for bars, got her involved and off we went to supercheap and let her picked out a colour. She has a good eye and it worked with the parts i had used. She loves it and has been getting better everytime she on it. best part when it comes time back goes the cranks.

Attachments