What do your kids ride?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I like the look of those kids Commencals, my wee fella is due an upgrade soon and I saw a kid on one of these at the local bike park yesterday it looked better in the flesh and much more capable than most of the stuff that was rolling around.

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Spewin no safety pluggers on the riding shot.

It’s pretty cool people are offering good kids bikes now. You can get pretty decent kids mx bikes, its nice to see it catching on in mtb’s

Sandakan

Likes Bikes
The Norco is an awesome bike. I've seen kids sending it down the Hero trail and around on them. We ended up with the Giant XTC JR 24". Upgraded the fork to an air fork , brakes to hydraulic, flat pedals, scraped the Revo twist shifters for a paddle and better bar and stem.
Was gradual upgrades and we work on it together so we are both learning and spending time in the workshop and not in front of a screen.
Already looking for a FS in xs as his riding has come leaps and bounds in the last year and a half.
For me that was half the benefit of the bike.
Enjoy!

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
picked up the 5 year old a gt stomper 20,. moving on from a single speed 16" he inherited from his older brother. Little guy loves it, rolls much better over the bumps. can be a struggle to keep him out of the gardens on the ride to school now, he's looking for trail features.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone got any hot tips on how/where to sell a kids bike? Bearing in mind that I don't do Facebook and can't deal with Gumtree 'tards.
Because I have N+1 pretty bad (possibly because I hate selling stuff), I impulse purchased a new bike for my son and now want to move on his current 26" Giant Talon 16". I built it out of all the hand me down stuff that I have, but it's a pretty decent spec (Sun Ringle wheels, M675 brakes, carbon bars, X9 1x10 drivetrain, Fox 32 100mm) the downside is that the actual frame is cosmetically a bit rough because it's a kids bike and has lived a hard life.
How would you price such a bike, I was thinking $400 would be a fair price?

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Anyone got any hot tips on how/where to sell a kids bike? Bearing in mind that I don't do Facebook and can't deal with Gumtree 'tards.
Because I have N+1 pretty bad (possibly because I hate selling stuff), I impulse purchased a new bike for my son and now want to move on his current 26" Giant Talon 16". I built it out of all the hand me down stuff that I have, but it's a pretty decent spec (Sun Ringle wheels, M675 brakes, carbon bars, X9 1x10 drivetrain, Fox 32 100mm) the downside is that the actual frame is cosmetically a bit rough because it's a kids bike and has lived a hard life.
How would you price such a bike, I was thinking $400 would be a fair price?
For some reason I read that as a 16" wheeled bike and would have just bought it straight off you. I'd start higher for the price by the looks of that spec. By comparison, I sold a beat to hell Giant Reign with junker parts on it for $550 on gumtree, with an asking price at $700 (expecting to be bid down). Not far off the spec you list, but it was a 10+ year old bike by that point.

I know you say you can't stand Gumtree, but it is an easy way to move bikes if you're happy to tell a few people to piss off. And keep the garage shut when they arrive so they don't spot all the nice stuff.

That said, if you're just looking to move a bike on for a fair price, then the sale forum on here is a good way to go. It may take a little while but everyone I've dealt with on here has been great to deal with.

Other ideas would be put it up on school notice boards or something? Surely there's other bike nuts out there looking to bring their kids over to the dark side?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I've been busy upgrading the kids bikes recently, basically all done now.

Kaylee is on a 2006ish intense spider xvp. She loves it but it hasn't had the impact on her enthusiasm that I was hoping for. She'll come around, there's no way I'm letting this little beastie go to waste

Matty has now got an old Haro sonic (big thanks to moorey!). It's just right for his issues with balance, being so short he can just drop his feet down when he wants. Rear suspension is going to help his poor bum as well since he struggles with standing up.

Mitchi just got upgraded to a comencal meta 55, 2011ish I believe. He was already pretty keen, but new bike day made some things go click. Kid comes home from school and asks how long he can go out riding for.

We played with GoPros on new bike day

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Perfect timing with this thread popping up. Going to get a 20” wheeled bike for my daughter and needing some guidance as looked at too many and confused myself.

Like the Polygon Relic as has disc brakes but she doesn’t like the colour! The other option but more money is the new Scott Raptor, plus sized tyres, just concerned they will be draggy on the bike paths etc

Also the Scott Scale Jr, rigid but V brakes and the Merida J20 with basic suspension fork.

Happy to get new as will be passed down to her two brothers when the time comes!

moorey

call me Mia
My pleasure. Glad it’s getting a new lease on life, and a more permanent home, mate. Fark, that frame’s done the rounds. Must have been lent out to 10 different kids in the last 5 years.
Hope it gets him rolling.

Snapcatcher

Likes Bikes
Perfect timing with this thread popping up. Going to get a 20” wheeled bike for my daughter and needing some guidance as looked at too many and confused myself.

Like the Polygon Relic as has disc brakes but she doesn’t like the colour! The other option but more money is the new Scott Raptor, plus sized tyres, just concerned they will be draggy on the bike paths etc

Also the Scott Scale Jr, rigid but V brakes and the Merida J20 with basic suspension fork.

Happy to get new as will be passed down to her two brothers when the time comes!
I just saw that on facebook Norco are bringing out a 2019 Charger 20" that has hydraulic disc brakes, air fork, arriving in country October. Not sure on price. https://www.facebook.com/NorcoBikesAus/

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
I just saw that on facebook Norco are bringing out a 2019 Charger 20" that has hydraulic disc brakes, air fork, arriving in country October. Not sure on price. https://www.facebook.com/NorcoBikesAus/
Cheers, going by similar bikes it will be upwards of $600 plus. Ended up buying a Scott Scale Jr. Rigid and v brakes but seems to be doing the job nicely. Did some fire road riding on the weekend and she loved it.