What do your kids ride?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

Anyone know what tools I’d need to remove the cranks from my Daughters Spawn banshee. A year on and she hasn’t taken to pedaling but has cranked up her skills on the balance bike which is getting too small. I’m thinking of giving her a go on the bigger bike without the cranks. She is keen on the idea herself so I’m gonna run with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Just take the bike to the LBS fox, they’ll pull them off for you. Looks like a square taper BB - if you pull the cranks you’ll probably want to remove the BB as well, otherwise the axle stubs will pose a nasty hazard for your daughter. Crank puller and BB tool required - pushys is probably your best bet if you want to DIY.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Just take the bike to the LBS fox, they’ll pull them off for you. Looks like a square taper BB - if you pull the cranks you’ll probably want to remove the BB as well, otherwise the axle stubs will pose a nasty hazard for your daughter. Crank puller and BB tool required - pushys is probably your best bet if you want to DIY.
Thanks, well I’ll have to put them back on at some stage. Then She might want to have them off again. So getting the tools is no big deal.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences

Anyone know what tools I’d need to remove the cranks from my Daughters Spawn banshee. A year on and she hasn’t taken to pedaling but has cranked up her skills on the balance bike which is getting too small. I’m thinking of giving her a go on the bigger bike without the cranks. She is keen on the idea herself so I’m gonna run with it.

Where do you find bikes like that? 5yr old is ready for a new bike and I want to get him something with v-brakes front and rear and single speed, but struggling to find anything.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Where do you find bikes like that? 5yr old is ready for a new bike and I want to get him something with v-brakes front and rear and single speed, but struggling to find anything.
Expensive but several brands you can buy direct from the company.
Spawn Yoji, Woom bikes and Prevelo. And I think Frog bikes which sell out of some shops fit the bill for less $$.
I was looking around for a good quality 16” first pedal bike that had free wheel and not shitty coaster brakes and the only real options here are the brands above.
Just about to order a purple Prevelo Alpha 2 for my kid.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I got lucky, picked it up second hand for $150.
The lady had bought it while living in Canada and her kids had outgrown it.
Ours is the banshee which has been replaced by the Yoji.

https://spawncycles.com/yoji-16

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I got lucky, picked it up second hand for $150.
The lady had bought it while living in Canada and her kids had outgrown it.
Ours is the banshee which has been replaced by the Yoji.

https://spawncycles.com/yoji-16

That is a good looking bike. The low stand-over and seat height is a plus too and was one of my key considerations looking for a bike for my kid. Moving up from a balance bike I wanted him to be able to get his feet down, and most of the 16" varieties commonly available were too tall for a 3 yr old.

A question on the brakes though. My understanding was that according to Australian product safety requirements (https://www.productsafety.gov.au/standards/bicycles), a kids bike had to have two different braking systems, one with a back-pedal brake. These bikes ship to Australia but with a freehub don't seem to comply? Also, my personal experience has been that at that age, the kids don't necessarily have the hand strength to properly operate a caliper brake and the back pedal brake offers an easier alternative for a quick stop. That said, it's more than likely due to the disgraceful quality of the brakes put on kids bikes. Give them a decent brake and all is probably fine.

I ended up with a Merida J16. It's nothing fancy but offered an alloy frame and low seat height which suited the sizing needs. Being available in a store for him to try out first helped and it meant he could be involved in the choice as well. In retrospect though, I'd probably opt for paying more for something like that Spawn bike. Not because of the freehub though, but because of the Bottom Bracket.

I thought there were enough BB standards around, but I wasn't even aware of BMX standards. F-me, what a shit-show. My kid rides pretty rough, on and off the road. Loves a good gutter huck, riding 'bumpies' (dirt BMX tracks found around parks) and generally just playing rough. Sure enough, the lock ring on the cranks worked it's way loose and took some of the thread with it. It was then I discovered just how hard it is to get spare parts for kids bikes or repair that shitty design of a BB.

Anyway, by the looks of things he's up for a 20" mtb before in the next few years. Time for a real bike, the Norco range is looking good at the moment, any pitfalls I should be aware of? Edit: stuff that, I just had a look through that Spawn range in 20", nice options.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Here is my boy’s Norco - not much OE left on it as it receives the trickle down parts... he rode 30Km of open ST today without too much complaining. T’was a good day

How old is your boy?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Charlie was nearly 8 when new, now 8.75 - I have a longer 26” fork to go on at the start of summer. Slacken it out by another degree.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
A question on the brakes though. My understanding was that according to Australian product safety requirements (https://www.productsafety.gov.au/standards/bicycles), a kids bike had to have two different braking systems, one with a back-pedal brake. These bikes ship to Australia but with a freehub don't seem to comply? Also, my personal experience has been that at that age, the kids don't necessarily have the hand strength to properly operate a caliper brake and the back pedal brake offers an easier alternative for a quick stop. That said, it's more than likely due to the disgraceful quality of the brakes put on kids bikes. Give them a decent brake and all is probably fine.
The brakes used by spawn are specifically set up for kids hand strength. The lever is pretty long and doesn’t take much power to pull me up when I jump on it.

It’s probably one of those things they just get used to. Could always mod it for some sweet discs. But by then you’d be looking at one of their higher end models that already have them.