What do your kids ride?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry for the necropost, @slider phil and Moorey what frame is that?
My Mr8 has just about outgrown his Superfly 20 and I am thinking of going a small 26" next and skipping a 24" plus all of my mtb stuff is old vintage 26" so it gives me an excuse to get a new bike myself and put the decent bits on his.
Ah, Cube something a rather. It's an XS if that helps! I skipped 24" for my oldest for the same reasons, I had parts to use and I like to build bikes

I don't let him ride it to school, he's still using his old 20" Kona for that but when he gets on this thing he just fly's. Reminds me that I haven't gone out for a ride with him in a while, better book it in for the weekend

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
So, here's what The Young Man has under his arse these days:

Ragley blue pig frame, Large
Lyrik RC 150mm
Nukeproof headset
Spank stem
Pro Tharsis carbon bars
SLX brakes
XT drivetrain
OneUp 170mm dropper
Hope 35w rims laced to hope pro 4 hubs
Crank Brothers stamp pedals
Bontrager SE4 tires. 27.5 x 2.6"

Yeah, not bad I suppose...

Sandakan

Likes Bikes
Hi guys
selling my sons XTC jr 24 as he's grown out of it but not sure what it's worth so put it on Evilbay. It's a 2017 and is in great condition. Lots of modes and upgrades the best probably being the adjustable airfork. Here's the link and list of upgrades.
Would be great if it went to someone on here who appreciated it and all the hard earned money and time I put into it. Was a great learning process for us both.
List of upgrades
Air fork with adjustable damping and selectable lockout.
Brakes are now hydraulic front and rear and disc upgraded to 160mm.
Flat pedals.
Lighter wider Bontrager bars. Better grips.
Right hand gear shifter upgraded from twist shift to lever shift.
Schwabe Black Jack tyres with K-gaurd side walls and plenty of tread and much better grip.
Shorter blue alloy stem.
Better grips.

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
Looking for a 24" bike for my soon to be 9yo daughter. With my eldest, I skipped 24" all together as she is tall for her age but the youngest has outgrown the 20" and no way she's going to make the leap to the small 26er we have. She enjoys riding MTB Park green trails so want something that will fit right and is easy to handle for her. Comfort and confidence is everything in my eyes to keep her interested in MTB.
From all the bikes I've looked at under $800, front suspension seems to be a complete waste of money. The forks all seem really terrible so thinking fully rigid and largish low pressure tyres.
Anyway, Seems to be a lot of talk about the Commencal Ramones 24 here and it looks like a great bike, however, in my search I've come across the Merida MATTS jr24+.

Its around $50 more than the commencal Ramones but has higher specced 8speed drive train with wider range cassette, shimano trigger shifters, smaller front chain ring (28t over 32t) and shorter cranks (140mm over 152mm on the ramones) which I think should suit her height better as well as hydro discs (VS cable on Ramones) and a slacker head angle of 68 degrees (better for confidence??).
The Meridas 2.4 tyres should still be sufficiently fat to smooth out the trail slightly at low pressures compared to the 2.6 on the Ramones shouldn't they.
Anything I'm missing to make me think the Ramones is a better buy (apart from the Commencal name)?

Last edited:

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Its around $50 more than the commencal Ramones but has higher specced 8speed drive train with wider range cassette, shimano trigger shifters, smaller front chain ring (28t over 32t) and shorter cranks (140mm over 152mm on the ramones) which I think should suit her height better as well as hydro discs (VS cable on Ramones) and a slacker head angle of 68 degrees (better for confidence??).
Sounds like it's better in many key areas. The commencal probably weighs 18kg too.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Looking for a 24" bike for my soon to be 9yo daughter. With my eldest, I skipped 24" all together as she is tall for her age but the youngest has outgrown the 20" and no way she's going to make the leap to the small 26er we have. She enjoys riding MTB Park green trails so want something that will fit right and is easy to handle for her. Comfort and confidence is everything in my eyes to keep her interested in MTB.
From all the bikes I've looked at under $800, front suspension seems to be a complete waste of money. The forks all seem really terrible so thinking fully rigid and largish low pressure tyres.
Anyway, Seems to be a lot of talk about the Commencal Ramones 24 here and it looks like a great bike, however, in my search I've come across the Merida MATTS jr24+.

The Meridas 2.4 tyres should still be sufficiently fat to smooth out the trail slightly at low pressures compared to the 2.6 on the Ramones shouldn't they.
Anything I'm missing to make me think the Ramones is a better buy (apart from the Commencal name)?
Is the Meta 24 out of price range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hal-9000

Likes Dirt
Is the Meta 24 out of price range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, it's a grand more than the Merida!
Im sure it's a great bike but the Merida seems to tick all the boxes off road and is a bike she can ride to school without too much worry of it getting nicked. While we do the local MTB park green runs, I don't thing she would do the Meta justice.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Has anyone had their kids on one of these?

Waiting for a pushy's sale to get one so I can take my 2.5yr old on and nature rides in the afternoon instead of spending the time after kindy keeping him out of the cupboard.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
At the moment they are still on these.

Polygon Relic 20'
but will be jumping up to the Marin Hawk Hill Jnr 24' dual susser real soon,
they have had a few goes on their new bikes, but they are not yet fully confident to take out the bush just yet

BT180

Max Pfaff
Haha that's perfect. At the moment he only has a balance bike that he hasn't quite figured out, kinda just walks on it. Hoping the seat gets him keen and it'll be a way better way to spend our arvos
He'll love it. Mine has started standing up on the bike over bumps and leaning into the corners. Great way to get a feel for body movement on the bike.

Switch

huskier headed gent
So advice time, daughter is currently rocking a Commencal Ramones 14" (95-110cm). She is 118cm tall and looking a little large on the bike, I am going to put her on another Commencal Ramones for her birthday in May (unfortunately not the Meta but hey she is only turning 6 and the price jump is just a little too high).

The 20" is 115-135cm and the 24" 128-150cm. I don't want to ruin her confidence by putting her on something too big (she has CP) but don't want to waste money on a bike she will grow out of too quickly (the eternal battle of a parent) especially coming into winter when we wont ride as much. I would appreciate the thoughts of the Rotorburn collective as I am sure I am not the first person to be torn on what size to go with.

BT180

Max Pfaff
My 9yo is on a 24" Ramones and it's a little big for him. He's used to it now and he'll grow into it more of course, but there's a lot of advice saying that you should get the correct fit, so it's easier for them and doesn't turn them off. The biggest issue i noticed is the kids hands aren't quite big enough on the larger sizes, in order to grab the brakes properly. That could be remedied though, with a different brakeset.

I reckon get the 20inch, so she's comfortable and confident. There's a decent market for 2nd hand kids bikes, so you should be able to sell when she grows out of it, in order to help fund that 24 inch Meta. ;)