What do your kids ride?

Chris.D

Squid
My 16 mo got one of these for Christmas. He hasn't really got the hang of it yet, but it looks nice.

View attachment 252999
Cool....never seen one of them.

My 9yr old just got a 26"Treck mountain bike..I think it's 18 speed, he's tall so the 26" seemed the better choice. My 7yr old daughter just got a 20" Giant 6 speen mountain bike....both good bikes. Got them from Turramurra bike shop for Christmas

colesy01

Likes Bikes
Eldest daughter (12) has outgrown her Ghost Missy 24" which will now be handed down to her younger sister. Just bought an on-one scandal in 16" frame with RS silver forks with 80mm travel. Wheels will be built up Mavic 819s with spare DT 370 hubs I had laying around. Picked up some value brakes Avid 1s which should be more than enough to stop her 37kilo's and the drivetrain will be handled by SL-K 170mm triple ring cranks up front and 9spd out back. Will probably post build progress in the relevant forum (when I find it). This will bring our bike stable up to 12 in total.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My 10yr old Son is starting to think about saving up for a better MTB. When are kids generally ready to go up to 26"? I'm guessing around age 12?
He has a decent bmx which he hasn't been riding since I fixed up an old 24" MTB for him (weird brand and really old from what I can tell... Kalkhoff Chic Choc or something), it has a 1" rigid fork which is a shame, could have upgraded a few bits otherwise!

Next step for him is obviously a small 26" MTB, it will take him a while to save for a decent one anyway but I'm thinking the 24" would be good enough at least for another year or two

My 8 yr old daughter mind you is almost the same height as him lol, she's on a 24" MTB as well but might move to a 26" at a similar time I guess.
Actually one thing I'm disappointed about on her Giant Areva is that the fork is all pitted / corroded already (it's must be a year or two old only), the bike has been kept outside but always under cover (verandahs etc). I know it's a cheap fork but the pitting in the chrome (on the stanchions) is shocking.

Hyped

Likes Bikes
My 7yo son rides a Trek 20" MT60. Could of gone 24" but he's a daredevil and the smaller frame gives him more manoeuvrability - it's like a bmx with gears. I'm also a fan of the simple 1x6 setup, it's been very reliable. We ride at Lysterfield quite often, I usually ride behind so he can set the pace and I can encourage him to persist up hills :)

moorey

call me Mia
My sons 6sp was 14-28 rear, so I ripped out the hub and put in a 9sp Dabomb hub and an 11-32 cassette. Much better gear range for the little fella.

jarv

Likes Bikes
Built my 11 year old daughter a medium venzo frame of ebay running 10sp xt and slx and rockshox solo 302 on alex rims with kenda nevegals.

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to get my son a new bike and am looking at the Trek MT 220. Anyone bought this or have any feedback?

Cheers,

Coaster

I confess, I have a bike problem

My experience is as follows:

2 years old - balance bike (don't over instruct, let them just experiment - this is hard when you are keen as but pushing them will cost you 6 months). When they are going gang busters find a local remote control car club track and let them get some action. Keep putting the seat up.
3 years old - 12 inch clunker (there are no light weight options - this requires your instruction.
# put your kid on an old trainer with a milk crate under the front wheel, this gets them used to the motor skills of pedaling, tdf highlights on tv is optional.
4 years old - 16 inch clunker (they are still heavy but light bikes are becoming available - don't over invest at this stage because the next stage is what matters)
5 years old - time to get a little more serious, a 20 inch race bmx is the go. Gears will add unnecessary weight. The go to bikes are the mini bmx's and if you are financially gifted you can start with a micro bmx. We have gone with the Red Line bmxs secondhand. Take your precious ones to your local bmx track and watch the sproket class, these kids are under 8. With a bit of luck the little ones will see the light and you are suddenly a race family. BMX gets the kids standing up on their bikes which will set them up for life. Tell your kido they will get a full face helmet when they can complete the entire bmx course, this backfired on me when it took less than 20 minutes.

6 years of age - dad is sick of hanging out watching bmx races so he buys a 24 inch cruiser bmx and starts racing with the other dads.
7 years of age - dad feels that maybe 5 races (motos) in a meet is not quite enough so you go and get a 20 inch bmx too. Now dad is racing 20 inch and 24 cruiser class (ten races per meet)
8 years of age - time to upgrade mum's CA license and buy her a race bmx and a full face helmet

This isn't going to stop is it. I forgot to mention the setup for criterium racing, road racing, mtb racing etc. When is Cycling Australia going to offer one family license for all disciplines of racing.

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Check these out!

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/04/30...high-end-full-suspension-kids-mountain-bikes/

For those of us with mini-me’s following us around on the trails, finding a true high end frame for them to rip on usually means getting a Specialized/Trek/Raleigh/Giant kid’s bike and, perhaps, porting over a few parts from our old stock in an effort to bring the weight down a bit.

That helps a bit, but the real trick is getting top end suspension and drivetrain parts for those bikes. Enter Lil’ Shredder.

Developed by Brian Stanton, their frames are all 6061 alloy, and all made in California by Ventana. They offer both hardtails and full suspension that accommodate 16″ or 20″ wheels, plus a new 24″ full suspension platform.

The 16″ and 20″ wheels use the same frames and forks, just swap dropouts. The 24″ full suspension frames use 26″ forks with geometry adjusted frame designs. The rear triangle has three shock mounting positions letting you move from 4″ to 4.5″ to 5″, and the head angle is 65° when in longer travel and moves up to 67° in 4″ travel mode. Yes, that’s a little slack, but considering the size constraints, it’s more than acceptable.

Lil-Shredder-high-end-full-suspension-kids-mountain-bikes01-600x399.jpg

The Icon 16″/20″ hardtail ranges from $1,600 (DJ build with single brake, single speed hardtail), and $1,800 for gears and dual disc. The frame with Spinner air suspension fork is $975. Custom colors are available for $95 extra.

Lil-Shredder-high-end-full-suspension-kids-mountain-bikes05-600x452.jpg
Lil-Shredder-high-end-full-suspension-kids-mountain-bikes07-600x194.jpg

Lil-Shredder-high-end-full-suspension-kids-mountain-bikes03-600x399.jpg

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Man if only my kids were really that into riding I'd definitely find an excuse to buy one of those!

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Both our kids started on running bikes and now our 3yr old girl is on one of these
image.jpg

And our 2yr old boy is on one of these
image.jpg

Both are the equivalent of us riding 30kg bikes and the hub engagement is like 1/4 turn of the cranks... Hehehe

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So, my daughter is turning 1 in a couple of months and we are thinking about getting a trike / stroller thing. Any ideas if the Smart Trikes from Toys r us are any good? Any better recommendation?

sedifus

Likes Dirt
So, my daughter is turning 1 in a couple of months and we are thinking about getting a trike / stroller thing. Any ideas if the Smart Trikes from Toys r us are any good? Any better recommendation?
Had a look at the euro trike ultima? Same deal but at work we're selling them slightly cheaper and think they're a bunch tougher, alloy rather than plastic. $149 in Melbourne or posted for free.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Welcome to the last 3yrs of my life....hehehe

From our experience,,, DON'T get a Smart Trike. We got one of those things right at the beginning cause our daughter was soo small. The thing tips really easily even when you push it around esp when going up driveways & gutters. If the kid get a tiny bit of speed up on it and make a sharp left/right turn, it tips, and the way it's designed the kid lands square on their face. The crank arms are soo short that it makes it really hard to pedal, and when they put a bit of power down the wheel slips & spins. And on top of all this, it teachs them all the wrong techniques of how to ride a bike.

All you want to get is one of these plastic trikes for like $20 from K-Mart, Big W
trike.jpg
These things are so low that even tiny kids can fit on them, they first learn to walk/run to get going and when human nature takes over and they get lazy, they start to lift their feet and just let it roll (magic ah ha moment >>>grab video dad<<) Just be aware that these also tip, but cause they are soo low, it takes a bit of speed for this to happen. And cause they sit so low the kids generally land on their sides. Our boy started on one of these from the moment he could sit up. He use to just go round and round in a circle backwards until the day he worked out he could go forwards..... not that dad wasn't trying to tell him a thousand times :):) It actually set him 'walking' back a few month cause he use to be able to get around the house quicker and reach higher with the trike he wouldn't bother to try and walk.

Then as soon as they can reach the ground on a running bike, GET THEM ON ONE!!! Depending on their size, you may be able to bypass a running bike altogether by getting a 12" pedal bike and taking the cranks off. We got these
Spesh.jpgStrider.jpg
The Splesh is really good, It's a little heavier than the Strider, but it's a proper bike, real headset, real wheels, rubber tyres etc.... solid and stable.
The Strider,,,, don't get one :) Beware those plastic tyres/wheels can be really slippery depending on the surface or if it's wet. It's also really cheaply made.
After being on the runner for a while, your kids will learn to ride properly and the thing I love most is watching them corner.... :):)

Finally comes the transition to pedal bike. I've worked out that when kids learn to ride with trainers they 'get' the pedalling bit, but don't know how to ride (leaning the bike freaks them out), but kids that learn to ride on running bike know how to ride but don't get the pedalling bit. I have found that the best way to get them to 'get' the pedalling bit is to get them to start the bike by running, like a running bike, and then when the bike is going, lift their feet and start pedalling. This way they get it in no time :):)

Anyhow, there are probably a thousand different ways to teach a kid how to ride, this is what has worked for us...... hope this helps

thejdl

Squid
Would agree with the points in the last post. We've had the same results. Those cheap plastic trikes are great from 1 - 2 years old, and they can get quite a bit of speed up down hill! The strider has one of the lowest seat posts around which is the biggest hurdle in getting a young child on it, especially if they are short. We used the jdbug which was pretty cheap. (one with plastic wheels and no hand brake). The slippery wheels didn't seem to cause any issues but our girls weren't throwing very harsh with it. The 12 inch bikes without pedals still have a higher seat than the balance bikes.

We let our girls ride their balance bikes inside the house. Better to have them love riding and comfortable with it early than worry about a few marks on the wall.

I used to get looks of admiration as my daughter at age 3 on her 12 inch went flying past 5 year olds with their training wheels! The balance bike -> normal bike transition is pretty easy.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
We let our girls ride their balance bikes inside the house. Better to have them love riding and comfortable with it early than worry about a few marks on the wall.
haha.... it's not the walls, but the floors. Our daughter came and pretty much learnt to ride in the house, floor boards mint :):) then no. 2 came along........ it's amazing what a match box car can do when dragged round the house under a trike,,,hehe

This is what we did to solve the slippery wheels problem :)
Zrunner.jpg

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well the first 'real' little MTB has entered the family...

My young bloke (7)has bought his own (we made him do jobs and he has been selling bags of horseshit on the side of the road) He sat on several bikes on his shopping trip and the one which far suited him best when riding was...

Specialized Hotrock 24"

hotrock_24_21-speed_boys_silver.jpg

He loves it - not sure if the salesman quite believed he was paying for it but when the tin of gold coins and smaller notes was produced he threw in a cage and a discount on a bottle for him which was great.

Was awesome seeing him test ride it around the car park and a proud moment for mum and dad.

Big thanks the the guys at the Cyclery in Fyshwick!