What do your kids ride?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Doubt you'll find one. A small or XS frame will do the trick. You will have trouble finding 24" wheels with disc hubs as well. Why not put the 8yo on the Riprock and the 10yo onto 26" wheels?
This is the way to go. Decent 24" wheels are even harder to find than the frames. Hell, even 24" rims are like finding a Charizard.

The 26 will give more longevity, with a 24er being a 12-18 month proposition at best. And if you use decent parts, you can move them up to the next frame size, reducing the financial burden of the little bastards growing like weeds.

#knuckleswasadrunkenchunt

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any thoughts on the byk e-560 as a trail bike for a 9 year old? Hes taken a liking to the h2o trails so something suitable for that. The other option looks tp be to wait a year or so until he fits better on an adult xs. Hes also got a little brother who will inherit the bike in 4 or 5 years so something with easy to buy or upgrade parts preferred

moorey

call me Mia
Any thoughts on the byk e-560 as a trail bike for a 9 year old? Hes taken a liking to the h2o trails so something suitable for that. The other option looks tp be to wait a year or so until he fits better on an adult xs. Hes also got a little brother who will inherit the bike in 4 or 5 years so something with easy to buy or upgrade parts preferred
If it weighs the claimed 13kg, I'll go he......

We own a Byk 450-e and it is super light for a kids bike, so even a step up to the 560 would maintain the ratio.

I say this as a lifelong Giant rider, the BYK bikes are the best around, superb ergonomics, super worth the money. Not too painful to ride. Their resale value is probably better than any other equivalent bike when you finally move it on.

Ive seen far too many xs bikes on sale through Gumtree, barely used, with the sad disclaimer that the kid wasnt interested. :-((

moorey

call me Mia
We own a Byk 450-e and it is super light for a kids bike, so even a step up to the 560 would maintain the ratio.

I say this as a lifelong Giant rider, the BYK bikes are the best around, superb ergonomics, super worth the money. Not too painful to ride. Their resale value is probably better than any other equivalent bike when you finally move it on.

Ive seen far too many xs bikes on sale through Gumtree, barely used, with the sad disclaimer that the kid wasnt interested. :-((
Not decent XS bikes clearly. They are like hens teeth. People buy utter shit kids bikes and wonder why the kids hate riding them.

Doubt you'll find one. A small or XS frame will do the trick. You will have trouble finding 24" wheels with disc hubs as well. Why not put the 8yo on the Riprock and the 10yo onto 26" wheels?
I put the 9 yr old next door on a second hand Trek 26"' (but a ladies/step through) Even though he's short, he was kind of cramped on the 24". So its not a "real" mtb, he can still go on trails without destroying it. And won't knacker himself if he comes off at speed.

Like someone else mentioned, I had to frankenbike it: the front shocks were cactus, so i replaced them with some rigid forks from a Giant Uplander. And the hub bearings needed replacing, nearly down to dust. Other than that, a decent bike for $50

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
My 8yo daughter will be riding this on Christmas day.
Wow very nice. My daughter turns 5 this week. Keen to get her on the trails but will have to stick to fairly flat stuff while she is on her 16". Look forward to when she is big enough to ride a geared bike to get her up some trails.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Wow very nice. My daughter turns 5 this week. Keen to get her on the trails but will have to stick to fairly flat stuff while she is on her 16". Look forward to when she is big enough to ride a geared bike to get her up some trails.
It happens before you know it, won't be long.

John U

MTB Precision
Remember to run her tyre pressures low enough. Makes a massive difference to their confidence.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Start looking for frames and small components now. The following was to be for the young bloke's birthday in May....will now be his Christmas present.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
My 9yo bloke will be shredding the new Mystic Hero Trail in Bright on this in January...

Been an epic, 12 month hunt for suitable parts, at an economical price. Probably owes me $600 all up, but if I factored in my time, I could have got a Nomad CC instead.

Worth it though.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
My 9yo bloke will be shredding the new Mystic Hero Trail in Bright on this in January...

Been an epic, 12 month hunt for suitable parts, at an economical price. Probably owes me $600 all up, but if I factored in my time, I could have got a Nomad CC instead.

Worth it though.

You're almost as good a dad as me, Zombie Man.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
8yo daughter's MTB. Need to cut seat post a fraction to allow it a little lower. Annoyingly sold her BMX race bike with her nice purple flats. I have some M8000 XT Hydros and a Reba race fork I am debating about putting on the bike too..... probably won't will hoard them for my HT muck around bike. Might ditch big ring and add a little bash ring.

5 yo son's MTB. Have been told I am not allowed to steal the shorter Sinz cranks off his BMX to make MTB better. So will need to source a better shorter set of cranks for better pedaling and smaller chainring. He asked me how to get over logs......speed and smash or speed and manual..... he now does either/combo but those elastomer forks are copping it. Likes the bush but seems to like going jumping more.

Saw a 24" Camber in the shop the other day. Think a second hand one in a year or so will make a nice upgrade for my son.

Not decent XS bikes clearly. They are like hens teeth. People buy utter shit kids bikes and wonder why the kids hate riding them.
Ugh, tell me about it. I'm trying to get my son onto his first decent Mtb (he's 6) and the number of Huffys and Kents/Repco/NorthernStar garbage out there is so sad. Occasionally you'll see something where kiddo was on the bong too often and rich dad bought him a ful sus bike to get him out of the house - -and he didn't and now the neat new bike is for sale...

Sometimes the story that people attach to the bike for sale is pretty depressing! Bikes are something that either kids get into or they don't...

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Ugh, tell me about it. I'm trying to get my son onto his first decent Mtb (he's 6) and the number of Huffys and Kents/Repco/NorthernStar garbage out there is so sad. Occasionally you'll see something where kiddo was on the bong too often and rich dad bought him a ful sus bike to get him out of the house - -and he didn't and now the neat new bike is for sale...

Sometimes the story that people attach to the bike for sale is pretty depressing! Bikes are something that either kids get into or they don't...
I'm chuffed to bits. Came up the Murray yesterday, the boy hasn't been off the bike since I put the pedals on. His legs are covered in pedal rash, he's scoped out some sik jumps and keeps nagging his mum to get on hers and ride with him.

It's a great feeling when something you built up from scratch get so much use, he's already asked if we can shoot over and do the Youies today. Sure mate, it's only a quick 600 km round trip......

Also turns out, Pickles is a natural trail dog. Runs along at 7 o'clock with no training :woot:

moorey

call me Mia
7 o'clock is a bit early, otherwise kudos. Indeed there is nothing like kids loving and appreciating your work...well, loving.