What do your kids ride?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
At the moment, a bitser of a 20" bmx that I've assembled from the tip shop.

After Xmas...the 24" Polygon Relic we ordered today...

Sandakan

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,
Does anyone have any advice on half decent 24 inch tyres?
Not much in store here in Perth, and online options seem pretty limited.
The young fella (10) is coming along pretty well in his xc racing and keen on enduro next so keen to get him something half decent - the stock tyres on his xtc sl seem ok, but haven't lasted more than a few more months.
Thinking rocket rons at the moment, but keen to hear of any other options.
Cheers

Bit late I know but I got a set of Black Jacks fro CR and they've been great.

void

Likes Bikes
At the moment the kids are on:

2016 Redline Flight Mini (BMX)
Trek MT220 24in (MTB) deserves an upgrade however prefers his BMX ...

2015 Chase Expert (BMX)
2017 Liv Bliss. (MTB)

Mica

Likes Dirt

Suddenly Christmas can’t get here fast enough!!!

I was all for the rigid bikes for the kids until gumtree threw these at me for $90 and $70. A little patience saves a few $$ (plus nice rigid ones are harder to come by).

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whoo, go the 2nd hand cheapies. Much easier to allow them to trash and feel much better about the kids leaving them around when on holidays etc.

Mr 7 needed a size upgrade, so just picked up this couple of year old 20in veer for $70. Little feller is loving his first gears.
Mr 4 is now on Mr 7's old 16in BMX, and a balance bike.
DSC_6626.JPG
DSC_3517.JPG
DSC_3521.JPG

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
CRC jobbie?
Yeah. Got it for $288 delivered. Solid bike and pretty light! 10spd stuff is worthless now so slapped some on there.
Freehub is a 7spd so i've only beeen able to put 9 cogs on and blocked the last shift with the limit screw.

geoz

Likes Bikes
My nearly 11 year old has now graduated to a small aluminium Nomad. Small sized 26ers are great for little people, especially with a 10 or 11sp groupset. Still a bit heavy but great for enduro.

moorey

call me Mia
Sweet machine. He'll have so much fun, he won't notice the weight. Felix was 10 or 11 when he started on an old 160mm XS transition, with 11-40 10sp, and he progressed so fast, I quickly regretted it. Left me for dead, and had no issues pedaling it all day.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I’m looking at getting my 3yold her first pedal bike and looked at the hot rock, looks ok. Then the Woom 14” . Bloody expensive. Then happened upon the Byk e250. An Australian designed bike that looks like it hits all the marks with geo, low center of Gravity and weight etc but then realised it uses coaster brakes which I don’t think is a great idea.
Are there any other quality options with freewheel that people found for first pedal bikes?

geoz

Likes Bikes
Sweet machine. He'll have so much fun, he won't notice the weight. Felix was 10 or 11 when he started on an old 160mm XS transition, with 11-40 10sp, and he progressed so fast, I quickly regretted it. Left me for dead, and had no issues pedaling it all day.
Actually he is a she. :) easy mistake to make, I know there are not too many girls riding which is a shame.

moorey

call me Mia
Actually he is a she. :) easy mistake to make, I know there are not too many girls riding which is a shame.
Yeah, sorry, I did realize that, I mistyped.

Good to see. I'm sick of people writing off girls in mtb. My daughter loves it, and the group I run races, skills and trail rides for (aimed at primary kids) has about 15 girls out of the 40 regulars. They are as keen, and ride as hard as any of the boys. They seem to enjoy it more than the boys too.

geoz

Likes Bikes
Yeah, sorry, I did realize that, I mistyped.

Good to see. I'm sick of people writing off girls in mtb. My daughter loves it, and the group I run races, skills and trail rides for (aimed at primary kids) has about 15 girls out of the 40 regulars. They are as keen, and ride as hard as any of the boys. They seem to enjoy it more than the boys too.
That is really cool, we struggle to find girls for Natalie to ride with. There is one we know in Ourimbah and another (who just picked up Nat's 'old' Commencal 24) in Wollongong.
Whereabouts are you?

moorey

call me Mia
Ballarat Vic, unfortunately (for you). Hoping most of these girls keep it. There's definitely a lack of numbers as they get older, but I think that's more from lack of encouragement than interest.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m looking at getting my 3yold her first pedal bike and looked at the hot rock, looks ok. Then the Woom 14” . Bloody expensive. Then happened upon the Byk e250. An Australian designed bike that looks like it hits all the marks with geo, low center of Gravity and weight etc but then realised it uses coaster brakes which I don’t think is a great idea.
Are there any other quality options with freewheel that people found for first pedal bikes?
Apollo do a light version called Neo - same concept https://neobicycles.com.au/

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Well...back in 2012 I was all over this thread trying to get my then 6 year old off an 18 BMX and onto something she might have ridden with me. I managed to get her one of the last Avanti Aggressor 24 XC bikes. She's now in High School, an accomplished Gymnast and training 16 hrs a week (soon to be 20) wont be riding it any more. She is now 148cm and still rides comfortably, but with me having a fleet of bikes hers can go and she can ride one of mine if the mood arises. The Avanti needs a new pinner and is posted in the trading area if anyone is interested.
image1.jpeg

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Well...back in 2012 I was all over this thread trying to get my then 6 year old off an 18 BMX and onto something she might have ridden with me. I managed to get her one of the last Avanti Aggressor 24 XC bikes. She's now in High School, an accomplished Gymnast and training 16 hrs a week (soon to be 20) wont be riding it any more. She is now 148cm and still rides comfortably, but with me having a fleet of bikes hers can go and she can ride one of mine if the mood arises. The Avanti needs a new pinner and is posted in the trading area if anyone is interested. View attachment 341732
Nice work passing on the torch to someone else!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk