What do your kids ride?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

CLASH

New model incoming in June, can’t see anything about it on the AU store, but it’s up on the UK and US sites. Priced slightly cheaper than the old supreme single speed 20” which seems to have been dropped. Clash looks to be 7spd, 130mm travel & newer frame design.

SUPREME

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
No pics yet... must be a tough assembly ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It was actually, had a few frothies on board it being Xmas eve- finished the *build about 11ish from memory and then very nearly put myself over the bars on the driveway test ride because the brakes were set up all Euro/US.

* not much to build really, just add pedals/wheels a quick gear tune and swap the brake cables over.

herbman

Likes Dirt
So I picked up a Meta 4x frame to build up for the boy.
My 26” hardtail will be the parts donor. But I think the 175mm cranks will be a little long for him.

What cranks are you guys running on builds for you kids?

moorey

call me Mia
There’s plenty of talk about shorter cranks on young kids bikes...but unless really young/small, in my experience it’s largly a non issue. My kids have mainly run 170’s from 7yo onwards, but occasionally 175’s, and they don’t notice any difference in performance or comfort.
If they’re available, I go shorter, if not, I don’t worry.
My2c

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Just curious what everyone is doing for tyres for their smaller kids on 20" bikes?

My 6 year old has caught the MTB bug very quickly and is already starting to do some reasonably challenging blue trails. Seems to handle the technical stuff (rocks, roots etc) fine and only really struggles in loose sections with lack of grip.

Current tyres are a xc style small knob tread; are there any aggressive tread options available for 20" and does it make much of a difference for the light weight riders?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Upgrade time from the 12. I was wrong to doubt the timing, it's geared taller mechanically and effectively, but he nailed it first time out. He was sad to lose the pedal brake but smiled when I said he can still do skiddies with the new rear brake.

quannum

Likes Dirt
I’ve swapped my kids 24” forks for an old paid of 26” and it works well.

So if anyone needs a paid of 24” RSTs in white, shout out. They’re yours for pickup (Gymea Bay NSW) or post. Not great condition but might be useful for someone.

Last edited:

rstim

Likes Dirt
View attachment 351915

Upgrade time from the 12. I was wrong to doubt the timing, it's geared taller mechanically and effectively, but he nailed it first time out. He was sad to lose the pedal brake but smiled when I said he can still do skiddies with the new rear brake.
16 I take it? I've got one coming for my 3.5 son love the look of them.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes mate, 16. No complaints at all, it's not even than much heavier than the 12. Actually, he's a lot faster and if I'm walking the dog behind, I end up running.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Yes mate, 16. No complaints at all, it's not even than much heavier than the 12. Actually, he's a lot faster and if I'm walking the dog behind, I end up running.
It turned up yesterday little little fella was so pumped with his surprise, wouldn't take no for an answer on waiting for mum to get home from work before we opened it. I know what you mean with the speed it is a jog to keep up with him on the flat now.
Have you swapped the brakes not sure I'm going to bother as his spawn balance bike had the rear brake on the right.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It turned up yesterday little little fella was so pumped with his surprise, wouldn't take no for an answer on waiting for mum to get home from work before we opened it. I know what you mean with the speed it is a jog to keep up with him on the flat now.
Have you swapped the brakes not sure I'm going to bother as his spawn balance bike had the rear brake on the right.

Yeah quick swap, it's just physical cables to swap in the lever. Suggest you disassemble and lube bars, stem and vbrake calipers and housing (yeah shouldn't have to I know) was crusty AF and felt like sh1t, brakes were inconsistent with low spring tension.

Edit; freehub will loosen up too.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

I’ve been slowly raising the seat on my daughters 16” Spawn banshee to see if she could comfortably ride it with a height similar to some of the lowest seat position of a few 20” bikes I have been eying off. She hit the magic 59cm mark a few weeks ago. Which coincided nicely with the Commencal distribution moving from Pushys in Canberra to The crew running Dharco on Sydney’s northern beaches (about 30 min drive from my place)
After chatting on the phone I went and had a look at Mathieu’s sons Meta HT20 and it was sweet, kids are about the same age and height. Lo and behold the price had also come down since changing distro by about 300 clams so I paid on the spot and they built it up for me today. These guys were so good to deal with and even gave it a nice girly treatment with a complimentary flamingo party frame skin on the TT and matching mudguard.

It’s staying under wraps for a few days - she has no idea, but plan is to sneak it into her room while at school so I can take her on an arvo ride to break it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt

I’ve been slowly raising the seat on my daughters 16” Spawn banshee to see if she could comfortably ride it with a height similar to some of the lowest seat position of a few 20” bikes I have been eying off. She hit the magic 59cm mark a few weeks ago. Which coincided nicely with the Commencal distribution moving from Pushys in Canberra to The crew running Dharco on Sydney’s northern beaches (about 30 min drive from my place)
After chatting on the phone I went and had a look at Mathieu’s sons Meta HT20 and it was sweet, kids are about the same age and height. Lo and behold the price had also come down since changing distro by about 300 clams so I paid on the spot and they built it up for me today. These guys were so good to deal with and even gave it a nice girly treatment with a complimentary flamingo party frame skin on the TT and matching mudguard.

It’s staying under wraps for a few days - she has no idea, but plan is to sneak it into her room while at school so I can take her on an arvo ride to break it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let us know what you think of it. Been eyeing exact bike out for a while now, just trying to get the minister of finance over the line but the answer is always NO, not now... haha. btw where's the new distro?

BT180

Max Pfaff
Let us know what you think of it. Been eyeing exact bike out for a while now, just trying to get the minister of finance over the line but the answer is always NO, not now... haha. btw where's the new distro?
They're up at Terrey Hills (Nthn Beaches Syd)