What do your kids ride?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Let us know what you think of it. Been eyeing exact bike out for a while now, just trying to get the minister of finance over the line but the answer is always NO, not now... haha. btw where's the new distro?
I’d had an offer from the Ministers Superior (Grandma) to pay half, plus with the price drop neither hesitated. She was originally going to split us on the Spawn Yama Jama but import was going to blow it out.

I’ve been making a few tweaks this morning before the big reveal. Fork is so sensitive, so fine tuning it will be interesting.
For my daughter the recommended weight is 33-37psi but the fork sits in about 20mm at that pressure.
Putting the rebound at highest speed brought it back out 10mm so I’ve upped the pressure to 55psi and got full extension then slowed the rebound down a touch. It’s got a buttery smooth action and with the carbon lowers really sets this bike apart from the competition.
I’ve dropped the tyre pressures to 17psi with the tubes, I’m not sure if these are tubeless ready but could go a bit lower if converted.
I also played with the derailleur and got the shifting nice and crisp. I think me riding around for a while on it last night stretched the cables a bit. One thing to watch is the cage to tyre clearance. Make sure the b limit and low limit screw is tuned well.

Interestingly this is listed at 10.7kg on the Commencal website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
I also looked into the Yama Yama and came to the same conclusion. Those tyres look massive, brake levers also. what ever happened to 1 finger braking?? hehe. Is there cable routing for a dropper? says on the website there's stealth routing. also, is there any bash guard tabs on the frame?

Looking sick though.... but let the upgrades begin :p

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I also looked into the Yama Yama and came to the same conclusion. Those tyres look massive, brake levers also. what ever happened to 1 finger braking?? hehe. Is there cable routing for a dropper? says on the website there's stealth routing. also, is there any bash guard tabs on the frame?

Looking sick though.... but let the upgrades begin :p
Tyres are 28? X2.6 I think it’s a misprint on the sidewall. Can’t find any similar sized tyres online as replacement. Closest is the maxxis maxx daddy 20x2.3 bmx type tread or Broods (Spawn) 20x2.3 that’s a small DHF copy.

Brake levers are quite long, but I think it’s for more leverage for young hands. Remember this frame size suits kids as small as 115cm.

The “stealth” routing is under the top tube. It’s kind of concave under there so it tucks away.

No internal Dropper routing. For external it would be more difficult as they normally follow the down tube and come up the seat tube but there are no fixing points along that route. The seat tube is quite long and straight though, so a 125mm post would fit. I think by that stage of leg length you’d be on a bigger frame anyway.

No bashguard tabs I can see. I already dropped the chain while tweaking the gears back pedaling, So maybe a seat tube mounted guide would be a good idea. It’s got a 32T NW ring up front. Looks to be a pretty common mount design so could swap it out for a One up or wolftooth drop stop ring pretty easy.

I think the enve bars will be the first mod along with some coloured grips. but I’ll let her get used to it first. Stock bars are 600mm so I could cut the 760 RSR to 660 or so.

The stoke was real, it was getting dark but it was not to be left in her room for the night, first ride she just took off!

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
When Master 10 decided he wanted to get into mtbing, obviously it meant dad had to too. I was bordering between small and medium, but med was out of stock. He, at mid 150ish cm, could sit on a fully dropped small. Almost 40 years between us, and we're on the same bike. He is loving it, and the size makes it a real sled for him. As he grows, and gets fitter, stronger, and more skilled, it will become a flippy whippet.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

geoz

Likes Bikes
I love the 'matching bikes' idea. Good thing used 27.5" bikes like the Nomad 3 are no longer prohibitively expensive. The other benefit is that all the components are interchangeable so if anything breaks we can quickly pull a replacement off the other bike.
She loves it and her riding has really improved on the new bike.
The only issue is that the suspension components don't really like the low air pressures given her weight which makes the bike somewhat oversprung and overdampened but she still makes it work well.

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I love the 'matching bikes' idea. Good thing used 27.5" bikes like the Nomad 3 are no longer prohibitively expensive. The other benefit is that all the components are interchangeable so if anything breaks we can quickly pull a replacement off the other bike.
She loves it and her riding has really improved on the new bike.
The only issue is that the suspension components don't really like the low air pressures given her weight which makes the bike somewhat oversprung and overdampened but she still makes it work well.

That’s a Rad ‘mad, sweet colors too

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Tyres are 28? X2.6 I think it’s a misprint on the sidewall. Can’t find any similar sized tyres online as replacement. Closest is the maxxis maxx daddy 20x2.3 bmx type tread or Broods (Spawn) 20x2.3 that’s a small DHF copy.

Brake levers are quite long, but I think it’s for more leverage for young hands. Remember this frame size suits kids as small as 115cm.

The “stealth” routing is under the top tube. It’s kind of concave under there so it tucks away.

No internal Dropper routing. For external it would be more difficult as they normally follow the down tube and come up the seat tube but there are no fixing points along that route. The seat tube is quite long and straight though, so a 125mm post would fit. I think by that stage of leg length you’d be on a bigger frame anyway.

No bashguard tabs I can see. I already dropped the chain while tweaking the gears back pedaling, So maybe a seat tube mounted guide would be a good idea. It’s got a 32T NW ring up front. Looks to be a pretty common mount design so could swap it out for a One up or wolftooth drop stop ring pretty easy.

I think the enve bars will be the first mod along with some coloured grips. but I’ll let her get used to it first. Stock bars are 600mm so I could cut the 760 RSR to 660 or so.

The stoke was real, it was getting dark but it was not to be left in her room for the night, first ride she just took off!

Thanks for the info.... think I'll just coat tail you and see how you solve any issues that may arise ;):p

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The angles looks so good on that thing, want bad!!! Unfortunately the answer from the finance dept is still a flat "NO, they got too many bikes already!!!" .... yeah, but the only bike we're missing is a mtb...... "NO!!".... yeah but..... "NO!!" bahaha. :(:(:mad::mad:
Just show the minister of finance that video. Even my minister got all misty.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Cool, we need more Gorilla girls.
There are a few now, but most I know are a bit older (between 9 and 17).

I’ve just got to get her on the bike more. Last summer holidays we got out heaps and she progressed a lot, but taking the little spawn off road she just lost her confidence. I’m hoping this will feel more stable and she will get comfortable again. I’ve been working pretty late this week, but she has taken it out each afternoon with mum or grandad and doing things already she wouldn’t have tried before.
I want to hook up with some mates who have girls of a similar age and do a lap around narrabeen lagoon, just a fun cruise with a park stop along the way to get them excited on riding in a posse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geoz

Likes Bikes
I’ve just got to get her on the bike more. Last summer holidays we got out heaps and she progressed a lot, but taking the little spawn off road she just lost her confidence. I’m hoping this will feel more stable and she will get comfortable again. I’ve been working pretty late this week, but she has taken it out each afternoon with mum or grandad and doing things already she wouldn’t have tried before.
I want to hook up with some mates who have girls of a similar age and do a lap around narrabeen lagoon, just a fun cruise with a park stop along the way to get them excited on riding in a posse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe try the pump track in Terrey Hills

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
How old is Ms?

We're not local but are up that way most w/e's at the boats. Mr8 is getting into now he has a proper bike and Ms 6 is a lunatic with zero fear...

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Maybe try the pump track in Terrey Hills

Tried that, she was a bit too overwhelmed by the size of the pumps and the big kids speed. I think I’ll keep it flat for while and introduce little dirt sojourns on our local double and single track without the crowds.