What do your kids ride?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Swings and roundabouts. I stopped riding or doing anything productive for awhile in highschool and just hammered the vidya games. They’ll get over it.

or not. Either way, you’re still contractually obliged to love them. Ha.

EZZA 84

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, my little girls turning 4 in a couple months. She’s on a Cruzee balance bike at the moment and rides it fairly well. She can easily roll along with feet off the ground for a good 15-20m.
Is it too early to buy her a pedal bike for her 4th bday? Straight to no training wheels from balance bike? I figure throwing training wheels in the mix will send her backwards....

Jpez

Down on the left!
NO
TRAINING
WHEELS

I bought our girl her first pedal bike, a Prevelo For her 4th. She was riding it within days because she could balance from not having training wheels. She was also on a Cruzee.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Hey guys, my little girls turning 4 in a couple months. She’s on a Cruzee balance bike at the moment and rides it fairly well. She can easily roll along with feet off the ground for a good 15-20m.
Is it too early to buy her a pedal bike for her 4th bday? Straight to no training wheels from balance bike? I figure throwing training wheels in the mix will send her backwards....
Hell yeah, time for a pedal bike. Don’t even let her know if you have training wheels !

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi mate, one issue I came across between my two boys was that one had learned to pedal via trikes at kinder, however my younger guy hadn't due to a different kinder. So was awesome on the balance bike but once he moved to the pedal bike couldn't get it. I had to quickly chuck on training wheels for two days for him to learn to pedal, took them off again and he was away. If she has had a pedal trike or such around the house, I think she'll be ready to go now without training wheels.

Last edited:

tobbogonist

a registered member
RE: kids not wanting to ride bikes.
When I was about 8 I broke the training wheels of my brothers bike in an act of stubborn defiance. I had grown sick of waiting for him to catch up on family rides.
I don't think he has ridden a bike since..
That being said he is now a relatively succesfull engineer and I work at Bunnings.
I am trying my hardest to get him in to mtbing now simply so he buys some top of the line bike I can 'borrow' once he inevitably loses interest.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Every kid is going to be different obviously so just whatever works for them. Training wheels are about $5 if she doesn't progress straight to two wheels.

My boy is three next month, got him a balance bike for Christmas and he's getting better on that but wouldn't say he does a lot of balancing. Christmas this year I'm hoping to look at proper bikes, as far as 20" bikes go I've only really seen the Specialized hotrocks as far as cool bikes that aren't Kmart/big W types.

Jpez

Down on the left!
There are a couple of great you tube vids of starting your kid on a pedal bike sans trainers. Just simple little things that help them click and gain confidence quickly.

EZZA 84

Likes Bikes
Nice, thanks guys. A lot of good info here. It’s strange how they suddenly get really keen on bikes, we got the balance bike for her 2nd birthday which was way too early. It was hardly ridden until about 6months ago and now she won’t go for a walk without it!

ausdb

Being who he is
Not under $200 unless you buy second hand but a Byke E350 is good choice for a 4 year old, I've just picked up a used one for my little miss 4. As she has shown no interest in pedaling anything in her last 4 years I've taken the cranks and bb out and she's using it as a balance bike for the time being..

Regarding the 12" steel bike you referenced, save your money she will grow out of it too quickly. Four our 1st kid I bought him a 12" mongoose at 3 and by the time he had given up the balance bike (about 4) he was too big for the 12" bike.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
My mum is buying my young fella a decent helmet for his 3rd birthday next month, was looking at the P'Nutz but just measured his head and it's about 51cm so already too big. Did most of you guys go up to the Nut from there or is there something similar in that $50-70 price range? He comes on rides on my bike so I'd rather him have something decent.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
My mum is buying my young fella a decent helmet for his 3rd birthday next month, was looking at the P'Nutz but just measured his head and it's about 51cm so already too big. Did most of you guys go up to the Nut from there or is there something similar in that $50-70 price range? He comes on rides on my bike so I'd rather him have something decent.
51cm is probably big enough to fit into an adult's XS. I'd have a serious look at this in that price range:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
This is what my just turned 7 year old rides. Was a present from Santa 16 months ago when he was just starting out riding.

I've put a cheap shorty stem on it and just upgraded to a Schwalbe Little Joe tyres. Is just a cheap bike but in all honesty it's a better performing bike in terms of weight, grip and shifting than the first MTB I raced on.

Will be the last new bike he gets. Have been showing him motorbike resto vids and he's all set on getting an old bike and doing it up next time. Will start keeping an eye out for an XS 26 disc frame in the next 6 months or so.

Last edited: